Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jason_yyl

Please Help!fish Head Down Tail Up,red Gills+under Mouth Red,fin Rot

Hi Jenw,

Yeah he is looking wonderful compared to the last few days!The improvements is dramatic over the past 2-3 days!

Yes I am still medicating this morning but with a lesser dosage. I think I will stop it tomorrow night. Then I will start with melafix! Think its stress enough being inside the medicated water for the pat 2 weeks!

However I am trying to find for the relation between floating head down and the serious bacteria infection he had.

Head standing is one of the clearest indications that there's a bacterial infection at play, this and white stringy poop, redness etc.. Exactly what your fish had. Does he still head stand?

Hi JenW,

The head standing has stopped almost completely! =) But at times he will still float head down for 1-2 seconds then regain back the normal posture. However I have observed that he will swim then suddenly like crash slowly to the ground and he will bounce a bit and then he will swim up again. Its like as if his head is very heavy that he will crash head down, but in a slow motion. Sort of weird behaviour I observed yesterday for almost half an hour.

The redness on the whole body are all gone except a few more stubborn red dots on the joints of the fin. He is eating too and the poop is brown. However this morning there was some transparent whitish poop in the water. I have changed 100% water and added in JYP. Am kinda worried with the appearance of whtish transparent poop.

Hi Jason, if you see this behaviour, check your water. I've seen this behaviour when I have ammonia in the water so do a double check.

Also, do you notice this is just before a large waterchange?

I'd give him another 24 hours in the JYP just to make sure no more bacteria is affecting him :)

I dont think its due to ammonia, but I will double check tonight cause every 12 hours I will do 50-100% water change.

I will put in JYP again. I will try to observer the behaviour tonight before and after water change.

=)

Hi jenw,i hv noticed dat d behavi0ur happens before and after water change,d head standing and bubble eating has stopped completely!i am starting with melafix now,im sure the bacteria is fully gone! his behaviour lately can be summarised as swimming lowly and sometimes just prefer to not move on d bottom but not laying on d bottom. just float at one spot and not move much!wil post a video!

That's such great news Jason :D Keep us posted on his excellent progress.

As he appears to be out of the woods, I'll move this thread into the diagnosis/discussion section :D

the reading are ph 7,nh3 is 0. perhaps im just too worried. that could just be his normal swimming behaviour.

It could be but don't forget, he's been really ill so will need some time for his immunity to strengthen and excellent water will help here. Give him a couple of days with just melafix and see how he goes :)

Hey,yeah i tink he nds more time to fully heal! the ph at d hospital tank is 6.5 and nh3 is 0. but the maintank with the only fish which is the ranchu in my avatar have ph 4.5 to 5.0!NH3 is at 0.5mg!i did 3 test and d ph reading is stil d same! its mysterious dat the fish seems ok in it,eating and poop ok! i think its time 2get d baking powder!could it be the cycle or my carbon needs changing?

I'd take the carbon out of your filter because unless you change it every second or third week, it can leech contaminants back into the water. The reason for your low ph may well lie in your water hardness. Is there any way you can get it tested? For now though, unless you want another catastrophe on your hands, try to raise it slowly so that it sits within a healthy range.

Just remember, pH is a logarithmic scale so a pH of 6.0 is 100 times more acidic than a pH of 7.0 and this is why it's essential to raise it slowly. You could try to set yourself the task of raising it to the high 6's over the next 2-3 days. You could also look into adding some crushed coral to your filter - infact, this would be more beneficial then carbon which has a short life and can end up contaminating the water if left too long. Crushed coral will raise the kh/ph and keep it stable which is what you need right now. Another reason your ph may be too low is you may have too much CO2 in your water and the best way to reduce this and keep your ph stable is by doing big waterchanges :)

So it looks like it's time to do some work on your main tank so that it's a healthy environment for your fish :)

Alright,i think i will do some water change now. i cant test the hardness unless i go buy one test kit. i dont think my lfs has crushed coral. how does it look?any brand in specific?

I'm not sure of the brands around your area but most aquariums do sell it :)

Hi Jenw,

I cant find the coral reefs thingy so I think i will use some ph up products!!

Anyway, an update, the ranchu has fully healed! The previous weird behaviour has stopped except for the staying at one same spot for a long time!

He is eating well too!

Pong says thanks to JenW for kind help! =)

(pong is his name, ping is the name of the other ranchu in my avatar!)

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

more pics of a happy ranchu! =)

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

Hey Jenw,

Need your opinion on this, based on your experience, is it advisable for me to put the ranchu in the main tank now and just let the tail heal fully without any meds(melafix), cause I think it is stress in the water and I cant wait to see both ping and pong together in the same tank! =D

HAHAHAHA..

Doesn't he look wonderful? :D

If the redness has gone (and I think it has) then I would add him back to the main tank and ensure the water is perfect. Try to make sure you sort out the ph and ammonia before placing him in there though :) I think the bacterial infection has been resolved but to avoid any relapse, check the water - this will also help the fins heal.

I'm so happy he's looking so well - what a relief :D

Yes he looks great! It is indeed a great relief! =) hahahaha...

Allright, I will check the water conditions before putting him there! Thanks!

This was an inspiring and beautiful read :D !!! To see your beautiful fish Jason go from so sickly to total recovery is really a lesson to every fish keeper on not giving up when things look bad. Hand in hand you and (fish doctor) Jen saved this gorgeous big fish.

Congratulations to you both for your incredible caring determination and patience :exactly Wonderful work :heart .

:D Glad to hear that all is working out.Your fish are real beauties.

And Trinket,I'm with you,that Jen....she's is in the wrong profession.She's amazing for helping sick fish and is fast becoming our expert. :exactly

I'm just so glad he's still doing well :D And IMHO that's because of the dedication on Jason's part :D