Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nick

When Fish Die

Not long ago, one of my shubunkins died.. it was on the floor, on its side... do fish float when they die?

~Nick

I hope i didnt bury it alive... though it wouldnt move, so it must of been dead :'(

Guest alex

i've had some float, and some sink, so i guess it varies (not that i have a habit of killing my fish or anything - this is what i've seen in various tanks around me, not just mine!!). could it be that yours got trapped in the gravel or slightly under a plant or something, that's why it didn't float? pure guesswork on my part. sorry for your poor dead shub tho...

Alot of the time I see dead fish in stores floating on the bottom, I think it has to do possibly with how much oxygen they have in them at the time?...

Guest alex

could well be. and also how much fatty tissue they have. that's certainly a factor in humans, ie drownings and how long the bodies take to rise from the bottom (sorry if that upsets/offends anyone - it was only meant to be an example...).

At first they do sink, then after a day or two they will start to float to the top.

k, thnx everyone