Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g0ldfishgurl

Filter Media

Hi all, wanted to tell everyone my experience this weekend. I went to the lfs to get more sponges for my aquaclear 150 , and they was out so I got filter floss to use in it my water has always been ok but the clarity of it was poor, due to crushed coral the particles from it like start breaking down over time.and there is debre like from the yuck, and the filters never could clear it up , BUT now that Ive put that filter floss in it, within the hour it was sparkling clear so pretty. I also got a pretty new background with Big river rocks in it and my bubble wall running against the picture is like falls it is so pretty, When the bad weather clears up im gonna get my sisters camera and take pictures for ya'll. have a nice day all.... :)

Hey, that is great! Improvement is ALWAYS a good thing!

I will look for your photos.

:hi

Guest gldfshkpr

It does pay to try new things doesn't it? I use filter floss in two of my tanks. It can clog easily, but rinses out just as easily. It has this polishing quality on the water.

If u have ever been to a craft store/ dept. and see those clear bags of white fluff they use to stuff things...pillows....dolls...etc....it looks just like that BUT. The kind at the lfs, is safe for aquariums....But it is just like that and called filter floss.:)and was 2.55 for 2oz's not sure if it was a good buy , but definatly cheaper than my sponge refills :happydance

Interesting observation :) Maybe I will try putting a bit of filter floss in my filters between the sponges :)

you should , I can not get over how clear my tank finally is :happydance

I've been using filterfloss all the time, just make sure to rinse it out often or it'll clog up your filter (or flow overtop of it, depending on what kind of filter you have).

Its pretty cheap, so I just rinse it out every week (sometimes more) then every month I throw it out. Its cheaper to buy a big sheet of it, then cut out the exact right size piece for your filter.

Guest spyhawk

I just change my filter floss monthly when I clean my filters in a bucket filled with tank water. Filter floss is so cheap you can just throw it out when dirty. I but it at pets mart for about 3 bucks for a 2 by 1 foot size. It comes in a clear platic bag that you can cut to the size you want and store the rest. It takes me about 9 months to go though that much. It does make the water clearer.