Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
dixie

Water Temp

5 posts in this topic

I have a ten gallon tank, 2 orandas. They are small about 2 inches. My house temp, it warm with heaters in the house. There water temp is 76-80. It goes to 80 if I have their light on for awhile. I thinking of getting floresent bulbs for the tank, so it will not add any heat to the water.

Any suggestion? :unsure:

Dixie

I'm no expert, but I heard from an employee at the local pet store that higher temperatures not only make the goldfish uncomfortable, it increases their metabolism and they produce a lot more waste, as well as shortening their life span.

Anyone feel free to correct me..

Guest Ira

Orandas do better at the higher temps like 80 degrees - but the temp should remain constant and not drop more than 2 degrees or so - when temp drops 4 degrees or more than you can get ICH(white spot disease) - thats why a heater in a gold fish tank is so important - to keep the temp fairly constant. I would keep the incandescent bulbs and get a heater and thermometer in the tank.

Guest Ira

Forgot to say - the heater is for when you turn the light out - thats when the temp may drop.

I've never had a fish seem uncomfortable at higher temps, and I don't see how it could make them produce more waste, though I've never read anything on that topic. There is some evidence suggesting that fish that are overwintered outdoors (or are otherwise in a cold environment) might live longer than fish that are maintained at a moderate, consistent temp. because the fish essentially shuts down and becomes inactive at incredibly low temps. Both groups are thought to have the same number of "awake" days. I wouldn't think it makes much difference in the lifespan of the fish whether you keep them at 60* or 80* since at both temps the fish is active and not in a conservation state.

Higher temps help out the digestion and immune systems of goldies, but the downside is that at higher temps the water can hold less oxygen and ammonia is more toxic. There isn't any danger with having the tank at 80* so long it is stable, you have an airstone going and your ammonia level is reliably at 0.

I would suggest you switch to fluorescent so you don't have to worry about the temperature fluctuating. 80* won't harm your fish, but I wouldn't opt to keep my tanks that warm on a continual basis if I could help it (76* would be perfect). If you continue to use the incandescent bulbs, you'll always have to worry about the water being heated and whether or not the temp is stable.