Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
simplypete

Rubbermaid A Good Idea?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this board, have been keeping goldfish for about 2 months and other tropics since the end of summer. I'm a college student and it keeps me busy around the apartment. Right now I've got an overstocked 15gal with and aquaclear 150 on it, getting a 33 gal after christmas. My question is, is it a good idea to use a rubbermaid container(20gal and up) with a canister filter as a makeshift aquarium. The smokey/clear containers caught my eye at zellers. and a 175litre(45US gal) containers looked tempting as well. Anyone have any idea's or comments on this?

(P.S. - also getting a 20gal for free, can't wait because there's a Pet Valu with good size healthy oranda's for 14.99 Canadian, and i want to rescue them(well at least one) from their small tank.

Yes to Rubbermaid containers. I read about people on this board using them frequently. It is a great way to give needed space to goldies. As long as you have a filter and do some partial water changes, you will be fine.

:hi

Yeh i'm definetely all about getting my goldfish the room they need. I have 2 red and white fantails that are about 4.5 inches and need more room. Plus i'm interested in outdoor ponds and i think its a good step towards keeping above ground ponds.

I love the rubbermaids but only use them as my QT facility. Goldfish look much prettier when viewed through a glass tank but for price and gallonage you can't beat them.

Guest gaffan

Just a note that if you make use of a larger (or more poorly manufactured) container of that sort, you might run into a problem with the long sides bowing out substantially. I kept my pond guys inside in a rubbermaid-like 55 gallon bin last year, and wound up constructing a wooden frame to keep the top squared up.

You can get cheap wooden strapping (like you would use when putting on a metal roof or something similar) to build a frame. It'll cost you pennies compared to the money you will save with the rubbermaid tote.