Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fishfelice

Fin Rot-melafix?

I have started a tank three weeks ago, and have four goldfish. I let the tank sit a couple of days and conditioned the water, but I did not know about cycling until later. Anyway, all the fish are doing great except my red-capped Oranda. She was active and happy until a week ago when she became listless and would move only to eat. A few days later she developed tail rot. She is now in a hospital tank and I had Melafix on hand so I am treating her with that. Any advice on if I should give her something else, and if so do you recommend anything?? I'm also VERY concerned about the others contracting the tail rot-I'm giving them Melafix as well, they've no signs of infection yet-any advice?? Please help- she's only a baby, I hate for her to die so early in life! I wonder if this is because of poor water quality, I know there is debate about Melafixe's antibacterial abilities- does anyone here know if it is antibacterial or not?? Thanks.

Hey there and welcome to the board! :hi

Not sure on the antibacterial stuff, but melafix is supposed to aid in the healing

of fin rot and such. The other thing that will help in the mending is super

clean water. Make sure all the parameters are at the levels they should be.

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-15(varies person to person). And a little

TLC doesn't hurt.

Melafix doesn't have any antibacterial effect. Incidently, fin rot usually only occurs when something else is awry in the tank - such as poor water quality, as you mentioned. Have you checked your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)?

Some claim Melafix will do the trick if the infection is very mild. I never use it for this purpose. Nice clean water or perfect water params with a bit of salt will sometimes allow a fish to overcome the infection as well.

How is your fish doing?

Thanks for the welcome, this is a neat site! Well this inefection is fairly severe, but I must say, yesterday was the second day I treated her with the Melafix and by last night she was swimming around again like normal (although slower), and her dorsal fin was up again for the first time in a week!! Not to say that means it's antibacterial-but it seems to help. Although I'm thinking I should use something heavier anyway because this is pretty bad. But it gives me much hope! I had the Melafix on hand because of an incident with a clawed frog I had in the tank, she grabbed my fan tail who then ripped her tail escaping the clawed frog (who is no longer in my fancy goldfish tank :rolleyes: that was a mistake!) and the Melafix prevented the wound from getting infected. Thanks for the advice- can Melafix be used along with anti-biotics?? Oh, the other fish are still doing well, too. I will check the water today.

gr8 news! :hi

if im thinking rite was that ur tank in the pictures forum? It had a picture of your frog, tank and ur other fishys

If i am rite then i love ur tank so much!!! its so pwetie! lol :hi

I would hold off on the melafix until after the bacterial infection has been treated with antibiotics. Melafix is good for encouraging healing, but that's it.

Hi,

You didn't say how large your tank is. It would have to be at least a 40 gallon to be able to have top quality water and enough room for 4 goldies.

Water quality is usually the issue with all sorts of problems, especially in a new tank. :)

I've had one sick pleco that I treated with Kordon Ich Attack. I'm very wary about using chemicals. Ich Attack is all herbal. I can't attest to how effective it is, other than to say that the sick pleco (I have no idea what it had, its stomach was bloated and it wasn't moving when touched) did get better.

Edited by Pelvis-Popcan

So many replies! Hi Tanya, that's not my tank 'caus I don't have a picture up yet- but it IS a pretty tank if it's the one I'm thinking of (I've looked at all the pics!) My tank is a thirty gallon, so I'm ten gallons short of what I should have I'm afraid. I will definately get something besides Melafix to treat this, thanks for the advice. I do think this is a water quality problem because this is a new tank and so I've been doing a lot of water changes, the other fish still show no probs- hopefully it stays that way.