Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
karla80

Goldfish Blinking

Hi, ok I know goldies do not blink, and I was a bit hesitant to post this but I had to ask. If goldies do not blink then what is it they do w/their eyes that I've seen my goldies do many times that resembles blinking :blink: ? My water is fine and my fish are not sick. I've seen them do this many times since I got them over a year ago. Like this morning, Casper woke up, yawned and then did this thing w/his eyes that look like he blinked, or closed his eyes for half a second. I've seen Butterball do this to. Not all the time.

And just before I typed this post Casper did it again. I am very sure they are healthy since they've done this "blinking" many times and if it were something, they would have gotten worse by now.

Thanks!

Karla

They don't blink, they just slightly changed the angle of their eyeballs so one side protrude a little and and the other side goes in the socket slightly. It's just like us moving our eyeballs ;)

Cool! I also see my goldies do the same thing. It looks so cute but does it mean that something's wrong with my tank?

Nah, nothing wrong. U gotta move ur eyeballs to see what's around u, don't u?

:) Thank you!

Not trying to sound debatable but I have to admit that it still looks more like blinking, b/c I see them move their eyes around so I know what that looks like, however when i see this act either they move their eye sockets so far downward to see below them, thus giving the resemblance of blinking or there is more to goldies than we know. :hummm Plus I mostly see them do this when yawning.

Just a thought :D

Karla

I know what you mean, its almost like the eye disappears for a second.

The ONLY blinking goldfish is my avatar!! :bingo:

my fish do it all the time....but I have so many so I'm bound to see it....

:lol1 at Jeana727 avatar

yeah i think i know what you mean. My fantail moves his eyes about a quater of the way in to his head. it looks like blinking but its not :)

I mostly notice this when they're yawning, almost like a automatic reflex. Like when we yawn, we tend to close our eyes without actually meaning to do it. :) Or when we sneeze, not many people sneeze with their eyes open.

I'm sort of a nerd when it comes to animals. I like observing them and getting to know their mannerism, behaviour, etc. Given that goldies do not have eyelids means that they do not blink but maybe there is more to this than just moving their eyeballs.

Not necessarily blinking, just another character trait or conditional response. :D

karla

not many people sneeze with their eyes open

If you did, your eyes would pop out due to the pressure

To be honest, I never heard of eyes popping out if left open while sneezing, and regardless of whether this is true or not, when people are about to sneeze, they do not say to themselves "better close my eyes or i might lose them", it is just done automatically.

Anyway, I just wanted to know what is it that they do that looks like they've closed their eyes, I put Goldfish Blinking as the topic b/c it is much shorter than putting a long descriptive sentence.

karla

I see my goldies move their eyes around.The only fish I have that actually does look like hes blinking or maybe he is is my Common Plec Duncan.As he moves his eyes as if he is closing them then re opening.

I have noticed Plecos do that eye moving thing, but I don't remember seeing my goldies do it.