Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Black oranda

Stupid Sucker Fish Get Off Of Them!

Hey every one,

I have this sucker fish and im guessing his not

a vegitarian any more his a omgivore ....

his trying to suck the goldfish

i boguth these pelets for him doesn't seem to be working

Not sure what to do with him

I hope he won't eat my small fish,like

what happen to my friends babie goldfish.

Errr ... his makeing me mad .. the only advice that i got so far

was from my sister,she said to flush him down the toilet i was like

NO!.....

What should i do ?

Guest Bunnylee

Two options... remove it to another tank or use a divider and isolate it to its own part of the tank. It is eating the slime coat off of your goldie and it will eventually suck a hole right through its side. So those are the only options....

I would say that you need to get the sucker fish out of the tank. Get a separate tank or take him back to the store.

I have heard this too much and never would put anything with my goldies.

That is my 2 cents.

:)

Since im getting a new tank im going to kep him in a 10 gal while

the goldfish move to the 60 gal!

Guest Bunnylee

The ten will be to small for the pleco if that is what you have. They get huge when they are full grown. A friend of mine has one and it is easily a foot long. Really scary looking. I was shocked at how big it was...... Yours may not get that big but it will definitely get to big for a ten gallon. If you could donate it to a pet store or aquarium that would be the best way to go....

I think that you need to get him out now. You may wake up tomorrow to some dead fish. It is up to you to protect them.

Im not donateing him to know one lol!

im getting a above ground pond will that do?

Guest Goldylover

my brother had a sucker mouth and it got to big and killed off like 2 or 3 of his fish. my suggestion is that you stick him in a seprate tank. i'm glad you are caring enough that you don't want to get rid of him. that means you have a good heart. like i said stick him in a different tank. depending on wut size he is now and wut size he'll grow up to be, you may have to consider something bigger. i am not sure if a pond will work. i'm not that good with catfish. good luck :goodluck

Looks like a leopard pleco.

I agree with the others - you need to get this guy out of your goldie tank. Your pleco would be happier in a heated (75*+) tank, so a pond isn't a good option for him.

This is not a pond fish. You need to get it a bigger tank then a 10 gallon they can and do get up to 18 inches.

How big is he? :o:o:o

Guest Goldylover

Thats one22 of a big fish. He's cute though!!! :P

Guest jiiglypuff

wat was the point of the sucker fish in the first place?

Hi there,

Plecos are one of my favorite fish (I have yet to decide between them and comets and doubt I ever will). That being the case, I've done quite a bit of research on them.

I think it is great that you don't want to give it to a pet store and want to take care of it yourself. The advice here is all pretty much correct, so I'm being fairly redundant, so forgive me.

Leaving your Pleco in one tank and moving the other fish to another tank is a good option for now. It's true that they get huge (18" or so for mature fish) however, so you won't be able to leave it there for good. It is also true that they enjoy heated water. 75-85F is where they do best. They can live in colder water, but they will not grow nearly as fast or live as long.

If you have any glass jars like a half gallon olive jar or something similar, you can wash it out really well, rinse it as best you can and fill it, let it sit overnight and empty it (to rinse it just a little more), then fill it with tank water, put the pleco in, cover it with saran wrap and a rubber band, poke a bunch of air holes in the saran wrap and put an air stone in it to circulate the water. They you can put the whole jar back in your tank. This isn't ideal, but it will keep the fish seperated until you can have them in seperate tanks. Make sure you get any labels/glue off the outside of the jar as well. The goldfish will think it's food :)

Jim

I dont knwo about keeping him in a jar underwater. Most bottom feeders actually have the ability to swim to the surface and take in air (including plecos) so he probably wouldnt be too happy about that. Really with all the talk of plecos and their danger to goldfish on this board, its amazing that people still keep doing it! The two dont get along! :blink:

it was only meant as a low cost method of keeping them seperate until the bigger tank was ready for the goldies. Some plecos get along find with goldfish, commons just don't happen to be one of them. They're so nice looking though :(

youd better isolate that pleco asap. can you buy a rubbermaid for that in the meantime? also your 10 gal tank is enough for that pleco for the next several years, plecos are very slow growers, 10 gal is enough till that things like 6-8 inches

The only plecos that ever should go in with goldfish are rubbernose plecos and bushynose plecos. (Sometimes called "mouth" or "lip" instead of "nose.") Note there is a type called "Rubber Pleco," this is not the same thing as a rubbernose pleco.

Plecos can't go in a pond unless it's located somewhere in the tropics.

I know several people who keep plecos in their ponds.

I think leopard plecos tend to stay smaller than some other types. The largest I've seen was about 11".

Guest jim

just a suggestion

I was sold a sucker fish from a fish shop and later identified it as a "chinese sucking loach", my sucker loach was only little when I got him but I read on a website that it started to stray from eating algae and turned to sucking the slime coating off fish when it matured. They grow to about 10inch in legnth.

I tok mine back to the shop! Search for "chinese sucking loach" and see if it the same as what you have got.

jim

This really really sucks,Okay

it's been maby 3 mouths since i got him,the reason i got him

is because my Aquarium was over flowing with algae.

My Aquarium is heated for my goldiesi have the Aquarium

light on for about 7 h aday then turn it off when i go to bed

so it worms up teh water.

Can i put him in my betta tank? my betta tank is a 5 gal?

When i said pond i ment my tropical pond heated to?

Thanks for your help but im not attending to put him in apickel jar

His the type taht likes to swim around.

ummm his about 4 to 5 inchs long.

Can i just keep him in there untill Christmas ? buy then i would have

a new tank.Ill keep pocking him to stop sucking them!

:blink: I new i should of got the Apel snail !

Guest sourmilknightmares

Seeing as he is your fish it's really all up to you. But from what everyone has said you are seriously reisking your goldfish's life if you continue to keep him in there were he can suck on your fish. Your best bet would be to seperate him in some way as soon as possible.