Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest SuiSui

Goldfish Petting...?

Guest SuiSui

I am not sure if I should call this petting but, whenever I put my thumb into the water and make it wiggle a bit, Odeen my fantail will swim up and place his head under my thumb so I can give a very light rub. He then swims away calmly and sometimes swims back for more or just to give my thumb a peck. He never displayed such behavior until a week ago

Could it be that my fantail likes being petted? I heard some goldies likes it.

I really dont know, but i could try this

Some goldfish can be very tame and friendly. I used to have an oranda that would do just the same thing. One of my current orandas, Fred Jr., will let me pet him on his wen if he's at the top of the tank. He's also tame enough that he'll let me catch him by hand (only if I need to) with little or no struggling.

Right now i have a calico ryukin that will swim right in to my hands or nibble my arm when i clean the tank. :)

My fantail, woowoo, will kiss my finger when its in the tank :)

lol. Thats cute. Well I dont exactly PET my goldfish, but if they come up to the top to see me I will give them a little "pat" on the wen. I would not rub them at all, you dont want to rub the slime coat off. That can be bad for your fish.

Guest quod me nutrit me destruit

My Black Moorse, Goggles, and my Calico Fantail, Freckles, do that too when i clean their tank. :)

im trying to get my fish abit more tame. before i feed them i put my finger in it and wiggle it abit. the fantail goes to it right away and gives if afew nibbles and swims around it and doesn't mind when it brushes my finger. then the common is usually second. usually it swims close, then swims away afew times. then it goes and gives me a nibble. my ranchu is last. he swims around the area quickly and after seeing the other fish do it, it comes and gives it a nibble. i then give them the food. i dont know if its cruel or not to do that, but its a way to get closer to the fish and get them to trust you. today when i was siphoning the rocks i had the tip of one of my fingers in for alittle while and the fantail came up and nibbled it. probably in a month ill try to see if they mind my hand in the water. hopefully i can get close to them and kinda hold them then i can get a more accurate measurement of them.

I recently got 3 baby goldies that where imported from China! It is obvious that these fish have been handled gently from the very beginning. They have NO fear at all. They come zooming right up to the top when I am at the tank. When I have my hands in the tank they are right there seeing what I am doing! They are adorable!!

Guest mic123

The other day when I was planting plants in my tank one of my commons came up and nibbled on my finger. Will it wipe the slime off fish if you pet them?

To answer you question Mic, yes it will. It is not good to handle them alot since it disturbs the slime coat. Only when you have too is recommended.

Guest SuiSui

Actually most of the time it's my fish that'll rub gently on my thumb... just the top of his head though. Before anyone asks, no he doesnt scratch himself elsewhere! He's as healthy as a goldfish should be. =)

It seems to me that my goldies like to nibble my fingers because they think that they'll get some food. :bingo:

thats really cool...I had one fish(black moor) that would let me pick him up when I did complete tank cleaning back in the 90's..my telescopes now nibble at my hand and fingers when I put plamt back in the gravel when they uproot them