Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shnookylu

Can A Water Change Ever Hurt?

Hi, all...

Just a quick question: I know that water changes are good, but is there ever a situation where a water change is something you shouldn't do?

The water in one of my tanks is cloudy, and although I just did a 30% water change on Wednesday, I'm thinking of doing another one--just to clear the water. Is there any way that would be a bad thing?

Kristi

Lucy, Ricky, Mulan, MuShu, Angel, Fire, and Spot

If it's tap water you should let it sit in a buket over night at least

24 h then you can put the water in the tank :D

Water changes are generally good things. You don't have to let the water sit overnight if you're using a dechlorinator, and unless you buffer your water, the pH is likely the same from tap to tank. Just be sure to match the temp. as best you can.

Any idea why your water is cloudy? Are you cycling?

Guest Goldylover

i don't think water changes are bad just as long you use a dechlorinater and stuff.

The only time I can think of that it might hurt is if you are under a boil water advisory. Other then that it is a good thing.

Yea my Fish love new watter, they can't get enough of it, i do it when ever i have time... hope that helps...

Cheers

If your tap water pH is different, that's the only time I can think of... my tap water comes out with a pH about 0.8 lower than it is after it sits for about 12 hours (7.4 vs 8.2)... so I have to let it sit out. Only realized this after doing a water change killed a fish because of the sudden change.

Thanks for the good advice. I did a water change, and the water seems clearer now. I don't know why it was looking so cloudy--it had recently finished cycling, so I had done a 90% water change before adding two fish on Wednesday. I changed about 10% of the water Friday and about 30% today. Everything seems to be fine. :hi

On another note, my 30-gallon, which has been running for about 3 months now, is having ammonia problems. I can't seem to knock out the ammonia, no matter how many water changes I do. It's low levels (about .5), but even after daily 30% water changes, it still persists. Any ideas? (For the record, I've done nothing different to the tank recently.)

And I never let my water sit out--I just add Amquel+ and NovAqua to each bucket before adding.

Kristi

Guest spyhawk

I just add tap water stright to the tank without waiting 24 hours. I do use a water dechlorinater. One teaspoon for every 5 gallons of freash water. The fish seam ok to me doing it this way.