Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest spot'smommy

Fair Fish

Guest spot'smommy

Hi all, well of all the things to win at the state fair my child won herself a fish. Its a fancy tail all gold about an inch an half long. I currently have it in a three gallon bucket as I dont have a QT tank.

I was wondering it if would possible to put this fish with my calico fantail after it's quartine periond. The calico is about 8 inches and is in a 20 gallon tank, or should i just go get another 10 gal for the new fish?

The new fishes gills are nice and red, I dont see any signs of disease. but I've only had it one day. Any advice would be appreciated.

If by fancy tail you mean double tail fins or fantail type, then he should be fine in the 20 gallon tank if the calico is the only fish in the tank and you have adequate filtration. If the new fish is single tailed, then it's probably a comet or common and would do best with 20 gallons to itself.

Quarantining it you will need to put it somewhere a bit bigger, as it will need around a month in isolation.

I would say that at least one week of quarantining is necessary...some symptom dont show up on 24 hours....BTW....congrats on the new family member....do you have any pics?

Guest mic123

what you could always do for a cheap quarintine tank is get a rubbermaid tub or storage bin from your local department store or Wal Mart.

Guest spot'smommy

Thanks for all the suggestions, but sadly to say the small fish didnt make it. I put it in a ten gallon tank/w filter. The little fish developed a white substance on him started loosing scales and pasted away that afternoon