Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest afishcalledwander

Novice Need Advise.

Guest afishcalledwander

Hi all im new to the site.

Can anyone help. My partner has just got me a new tank and weve never had fish b4.

I want to get gold fish but don't know how many i should have.The tank is H24" X W24" X D12" don't know how many uk gallons that is. :(

Plus i have a water filter thats really powerful and an air stone that produces alot of bubbles.Do i still need an undergravel filter?. Or is what i got enough.

Ow and one more thing the water has been in since the 27th and im not getting fish untill the 9th/sep.

Do i still need to treat the water?.Any advise would b a bonus. thanks.

:welcome Please read the following

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tensteps.html

Your tank is 24.9g in UK(29.9 g US); with that you can have 3 fancy gold fish. I would say no to Undergravel filter. It is not a recommended one for gold fish. What is the name and model of your filter?

Good Luck!!!

Guest afishcalledwander

its an Aquael at the bottom it says Qm = 300/H

I am not sure about Aquael, Somebody might able to help you with the filter. Sorry about that.

What does the filter look like? Does it hang off the back of the tank, is it an external canister filter like this one?

If it is it seems as if the number that corresponds to your filter (i.e 300) dosent match the filtration rate. So the 300 might be somewhere around 200gallons/hr? Which isn't quite strong enough for 3 goldfish, we here around Koko's like to maintain around 10x filtration, so you'd need to find another 100gallons/hr.

Oh and Welcome to Koko's!!!! :lol1:krazy:

I saw some Aquael online and most of them are canister with UV. I am not sure about the flow rate though.

Edited by small_ranchu

Guest afishcalledwander

hi thanks for the advise.

it sits in the tank.i put it at the side of the tank.

it came with the fishtank.

since the water has been sitting out for awhile....you shoudl be okay...but it's always good to have water treatment supplies at hand for water changes and so forth. I dont know much about that filter. in the time that you are waiting(till sept 9th)....have you been putting anythingin the tank like plants and gravel?

Welcome to Koko's :welcome

You are working on setting up a very nice home for a few goldfish :)

I would consider adding another small hang on the back type filter (sometimes called power filters in North America) to add the extra filtration. I like to run two filters on my tanks, then if one fails for any reason, or doesn't come on after an electrical outage, you have at least one filter running until you can remedy the problem.

I use a water conditioner even though I am on well water, just because I find my fish healthier overall when using it. If you are on city water, you will have to use a dechlorinator. Most city water contains chloramine which doesn't dissipate after sitting (like chlorine).

Do you have your eye on any particular varieties of goldfish yet?

Guest afishcalledwander

Thanks for your advise.

The tank has lots of plants in it all plastic.

Everthing is all set up so i don't have to put my hands in the water. (I have this thing about washing my hands every five minutes so ive been told)lol.

And i havent got a clue on what type of goldfish to get do you think 3 or 4 fish is too many for a 30 g tank?.

If you stay away from common, comets and shubunkins, then 3 fish would be fine for your tank. As they grow, you may find it gets a little cramped, however with regular water changes, you should be able to keep them healthy.

Chose from fancy goldfish, if you want to keep 3 in your 30 gallon tank :D

Are you going to wear gloves when you do maintenance on your tank?

I've heard that under gravel filters can be really messy.

You need about 10 U.S. gallons per fancy, and for comets, commons,shubunkins and so on, you need 15 or 20. They get very big. :exactly