Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pushkin

Cycling? Levels Won't Budge

Guest Pushkin

Hi everyone,

I am trying to cycle a new tank. I added fish (4 danios) to my 38 gal tank and began testing the water on 8/8. My levels have remained the same since then.

They are: pH 8 (7.5 from tap)

Ammonia 0.25

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

I have changed water once and will change it again today. I added a UV sterilizer a week ago and someone pointed out that I shouldn't have the UV light turned on while cycling, so I turned it off after 24 hours. The levels hadn't changed before I did that.

It's warm here--the tank is 80 F and I have two airstones.

So why haven't I had an ammonia spike yet? Should I start over? If so, how?

Thanks.

Edited by Pushkin

:) I guess just be patient, your tank will cycle eventually! I know what it feels like...thinking that its never going to happen. but it will.....maybe the danios are producing very little ammonia and you are not getting big readings, I'm not too familiar with these fish but I think a lot of tropical fish make less waste than goldies. but really that shouldnt matter much.

ellnbea is probably on track about the danios not producing enough waste to have an ammonia spike. In a 38 gallon tank, I would think you would need about a dozen danios to see any significant ammonia.

Guest Pushkin

Thanks ellnbea and touchofsky, do you think I should start feeding the danios more, in order to produce more ammonia?

That might work, but could you buy a few more danios or some white clouds?