Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blinky000

Baby Goldies Growth Stunted!

i need help! my glodfish and glodfish/shbunkins are now nearly 2 months old and have hardly grown since they hatched. i also have some that are 3 weeks older and they grew at that age. i also have others about a week younger and then again more a week younger still. they dont seem to be growing either! they have plenty of room, plenty of food and still nothing. the conditions are the same, what am i doing wrong??? :thud

PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEE.........!!!!

many thanks,

blinky000

xxx

How many and what size tank are they in?

What are you feeding them?

The number one problem causing stunted fry is usually improper amount of space per fish. In example you should Ideally have 1 gallon for every 1/2 inch fish or 2 gallons per inch of fish to acheive good growth rates.

Number two problem is usually improper nutrition.Fry require approx 60 to 80 percent protein until an inch in size then require 40 to 60 until about 4 months of age.After that 35 to 40 % is a good percentage.Ideally fry should be fed things like plankton (crumble into powder-like granules between the fingers),daphnia,bloodworms,tubifex,etc.These contain high percentages of protein.Ideally a good mixture of these should be used whether its live food or freeze dried.Hikari first bites are also a great product.

they are in about 30cm x 15cm x 15cm tub and there are about 30-40 fish in there, each about 6cm long. i had more in another tub the same size and they did fine. they are currently being fed daphnia paste which the first lot did well on. whats going wrong? ive even tried upping the size of their container and changing their diet which didnt work either. what is it with them? :huh:

sorry, 6mm! :rolleyes:

I agree with Fu Jin Yu, your fish are not growing due to overcrowding. The tubs are way too small for so many fish. I think that water quality is another issue, how often do you do water changes and check ammonia?

You have 40 fry in a 2 gal container, that size of container would only support 1 or 2. Get a 20gal tub or plastic bin in nnnnnn, they go for about 5 USD. Provide at least 2 gals per fish and they will grow. I had 5 in a 10gal tank and they stopped growing after 12 weeks and had to move them to a 20 gal tub.

thanks for your advice. i have now upgraded their living space and hope to see some improvement in their growth soon. :)