Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lak

Is He A Fantail?

I bought my fish Ralph two and a half weeks ago. I thought he was a fantail, but now I have another fantail (in quarantine) I'm not so sure. I don't have any pics sorry but I'll described him.

He is rounded in the body like a fantail and his tail is split, but only at the top. It doesn't flare out at all like my other's does and most of the time you wouldn't notice it was split and you would think he is a common goldfish.

Also his anal fins are strange and don't seem developed properly. I'm wondering if he is some sort of mongrel fish.

Hmm really hard to know what type your goldfish exactly is without pics. Any chance for pics at all?

Using the computer at work and can't upload. Have no internet at home atm, so can't get any pictures up for a while.

OK, managed to get some pics up, (hope this works).

I spent ages trying to get some decent pictures of his tail but he didn't want to comply. In the bottom two pics you can see that his tail is twinned at the top (but it is at the bottom). He generally doesn't have it flared out though like a normal fantail. So what do you think he is? I'm a bit concerned because I have another fantail waiting to go into the tank with him and I don't want to put incompatiable fish together.

ralph3.jpg

ralph2.jpg

ralptail.jpg

he looks like an oranda to me...the head its too blunt to be a fantail

I'd say he's an oranda, too. Sometimes fish that would normally be culled are allowed through into pet stores due to the high demand of goldies. It's just a flaw -- nothing to really worry about.

Guest fishey-wishey

I too baught a fantail goldfish but have scinse realised that he could be an oranda goldfish :unsure: . I didn't even think that he could be an oranda until I got another fantail! They are completley different in shape, but they get on really well together :heart . I don't think you have much to worry about,

anyway he is a lovely fishie congratulations! :D

Thanks you guys! I don't really mind what type he is cos I'll love him anyway, and I certaintly don't care is he is flawed or not cos he is soooo cute, I'm just relieved that him and my other fish will be able to be tank mates.

So do orandas need the same amount of water per fish as fantails? I assume its still a fancy type?

Yes they do need 10 gallons each just like fantails and all other fancy fish :)

wow....congrats on getting a fantail..sometimes they get mixed in with the fantails cause most fish employees dont know the difference....lol