Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Raivynn

Moor Variety

I wanted to ask this, but as of yet do not have a proper picture of the goldie in question. He [i know it's a he for a fact -- breeding tubercles] is a decent sized moor, about 4.5"-5" in length including a somewhat short tail. I thought he was a butterfly-tail, but I don't think that is quite right. I may be able to dig up some old photos, but they do not do this fish justice. He has a high arched back, like a ryukin, though not quite as pronounced. He has a very shapely body, like an egg. His fins are all rounded, and his tail is held well. He's a very proud fish, I think! His tail is a rounded version of a normal tail. The only 2 flaws I have really noticed with this fish are asymmetrical eyes, and a slight brassiness to his belly.

Only picture I found.

DSC00023.jpg [No, that is NOT his permanent living space. I just needed to get a pic of him at the time.] Even with the relative age of this photo, he has matured further.

I also wanted to reinterate the inherent plecostomus problem. My longfin ryukin was viciously attacked by a pleco I had temorarily placed in the goldie tank to take care of my algae problem. Instead of a 6" tail, the goldie was left with a .5" tail. Her tail is slowly growing back, and is now about 1.5". It will take well over a year for her to fully heal, if she ever does. ;_;

Nice looking moor. Good question about the tail. My orange oranda (who use to be a blue oranda and then changed colors) Has the same exact tail. Would also love to know if it is a butterfly tail.

How old or big is your pleco? They usually don't bother the goldies when they are small but as they grow the like to suck the slime coat off of the goldies which ends up seriously injuring or killing them. You need to rehouse your pleco asap before it ends up doing some serious damage to your goldies. Do you have anything else you could put the pleco in?

That is a beautiful moor. His tail is fantastic!! Looks kind of like a butterfly tail. I have a telescope with a tail similar.

That's a great Blackmoor. :heart Nice shape and colour again. Like to see a sideview of the fella.

That's definitely butterfly tail. Not the most ideal example (both left & right tail bone bent backwards, caudal lobes too forking) but hey, how many members here got show-grade butterfly dragon-eyes? Overall very healthy looking fish ;)

2befree, it's unlikely for your oranda to be butterfly tailed. Most likely the tail lobes are just more "spread out" when seen from the top than usual orandas. Still, I wanna see some pics if u got some :)

Hi d golem:

I think you are right. I was looking at her and her tail does seem just to be far spread out. Her tail is getting long and pretty but looks different from the others. I will borrow my father-in-laws digi cam and take some top view pics by this weekend. :)

I found a digital camera, and I'm going to try and get some good side view pics. I tried with my cell phone, but they just don't look really good. This is by far one of the most robust goldies I have had the pleasure of knowing. He really reminds me of a black pegasus for some reason -- maybe it's the "mohawk" of a dorsal fin, and the way he just really seems to be a little prince.

His tail fins aren't bent [i don't think, anyway] -- in the photo he was moving about some, and his fins didn't spread like usual. I have wondered if this fish was almost show quality. I'd be really surprised, because that was a vvvv special! He's really put on some weight since I've had him, and I've had him for about 3 years. It's hard to believe just how well he's matured.

The pleco in question is with my koi outdoors for the summer, and he'll be stationed with two large oscars in a 46 gallon tank. That tank is a mess...I had to take the gravel out to keep it in some semblence of clean, but even with that, I'm cleaning both tanks once or twice a week [it keeps the goldies growing, plus, I keep a couple more than I should, just because -- you know how it goes..."i HAVE to have this one!"] -- 80-90% water change, gravel siphon, wiping down the glass on the front and sides. Every other week I'm cleaning the sponge inserts in the filters.

I'll have to get some pictures of the entire tank while I'm at it -- I've got an awesome chocolate oranda [that has yet to grow a proper wen], 4 black moors [umm...1...2...3....yeah, 4], an orange Ryukin [finally developing the characteristic "hump" after 3 years -- think this one's female], a teeny orange and white Pearlscale, and a "little" dojo loach who's been around a while. But that's just the goldies. My oscars are about 10" each, and one's a longfin that I looked for for over a year. I'll have to measure them. I may just get some measurements of all my fish while I'm at it. It'd make a good stat list. =D

Rai

Finally! Some updated pictures of my current "collection" of fancy goldfish. I had to use the flash option on my digital camera to get the moors to even show up, so the brassiness is usually not as pronounced -- I think everyone here knows how hard moors are to photograph because of that!!

There are A LOT of pictures to load!

DSC00054.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00049-1.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00041.jpg -- This is for size ref, and an experiment -- this is one of the betta dual-hex containers.

That should be more than enough eye-candy for ya!

DSC00040-1.jpg

DSC00039-1.jpg

DSC00037-1.jpg

DSC00036-1.jpg

DSC00035-1.jpg

There's the rest of the pics I tried to post the first time. =D

Your fish are so beautiful! What do you feed them? Theyre nice and fat. :)

Thank you! I feed my fancies stuff I'd feed my koi -- I mixed Hikari Gold, and mini-sized koi pellets. I ran out, so I have bought Hikari Oranda Gold to try and bring out the wen growth in my chocolate oranda. I also think it will help in general growth of the others. Smells like it's mostly shrimp!

I feed my fish whenever they act hungry. That could be why they are so fat! But they are also VERY active, making good photos very difficult! Photos really don't do these feeshees justice, to me anyway. There's nothing like watching your fish thrive.

Thank you! I feed my fancies stuff I'd feed my koi -- I mixed Hikari Gold, and mini-sized koi pellets. I ran out, so I have bought Hikari Oranda Gold to try and bring out the wen growth in my chocolate oranda. I also think it will help in general growth of the others. Smells like it's mostly shrimp!

I feed my fish whenever they act hungry. That could be why they are so fat! But they are also VERY active, making good photos very difficult! Photos really don't do these feeshees justice, to me anyway. There's nothing like watching your fish thrive.

Oooh, I may have to try the Hikari pellets. Ive only fed Hikari goldfish flakes. Also that you feed them whenever they look hungry. If I did that, Id be standing there all day! :lol: Piggies!

Pictures never do fish justice in my opinion but we get the idea! :D

I love your fish. Touch wood they all look gorgeous. Those Black Moors are y favourites.

Some Blackmoors I've seen have long bodies. Your's have short bodies and that cute hump.

Thanks for the pic;s... :D

Your fish are beautiful :heart

I love your moors! I also feed my fish Hikari Pellets! Thanks for sharing those pictures :)

Your butterfly dragon-eye looks even better from the side! Very nice balanced appearance with pronounced hump and deep body. If I were you I would try and get him to a show and see how he rates ;)

:D Your Moor is a beauty,for sure.I love those guys myself and have a few.The pics turned out great.I waste alot of time on bad Moor pictures. :rolleyes::rofl

If you decide to add any more,we actually have an area devoted just for pics,so you'll be able to start another pic thread.. :)

Great job. :exactly

d_golem, unfortunately, I don't know of ANY goldie shows in my area to even think about showing him. I feel really lucky to have stumbled onto this guy, because I paid less than $10 for him. I bought another fish with him, but it wasn't nearly as healthy as he, and didn't survive longer than 2 years. ;_;

If anyone knows of goldfish shows in Nashville or the surrounding area, let me in on it, and I may take him. I've heard horror stories about goldie shows!!! :o

And by the way, that's a 55 gallon tank. I had two, but one of them came apart at the seams [literally], and can't get more space until Christmas [i'm begging for a 125 for my goldies] or when I get the tank fixed. The reason there's so many is because of a long-bodied black moor that I HAD to have when I found it while I was out of town, of all things. =D And then I saw the teeny Mr Wibbles...and you know how THAT ended. lol.

And you know, I got to really looking at my smaller black moor, and I wonder...."is that a veiltail?" I've asked before, and everybody says broadtail. But he's close....lol. I may already have my dream fish and not know it. But he's a little too flawed for show [bent caudal fin, dorsal fin], but gorgeous nonetheless.

I really need to start naming my goldies now. Maybe I'll start naming them after the gods. =D

Beautiful fish.They are all obviously growing well and thriving wish my moor would start growing.

Believe it or not, I've found my fancies to grow fairly quickly to a certain point, and then they slow down. They never stop growing, but they grow so slowly that I don't realize just how much they've really grown. It's like that butterfly tail I have. He was nowhere near the size he is now when I bought him, but I just don't really see just how much larger he really is. He's probably twice the size again he was, but he hasn't grown quickly enough for me to notice. If that really makes sense. If you see the same fish daily for years, you stop noticing the tiny changes in size, and become keen to when they don't feel good.

I really think that food plays a major role in how big goldies grow. I know genetics are one thing, but that's something we can't change. I also know that the first few months of a goldie's life also effect its growth and growth potential. But again, something that is generally out of our hands. I've really found that feeding higher quality foods, more specifically, Hikari, yields better results than Tetra and Wardley. I haven't fed OSI products to my goldies, although I have fed it to my tropicals with no noticeable difference between OSI and Tetra. But tropicals are a whole other ball game. I'm not one to often feed peas [unless there's a need for it] or vegetables, although I gave them a piece of cantaloupe once [they didn't like it]. They seem more keen for freeze dried shrimp and krill than plant-based foods.

The switchover from koi pellets/Hikari Gold has been remarkable. The koi pellets sank, so they weren't used to coming back to the surface for more, but after they realized "this food doesn't sink!", they eat more than they were of the koi food! Also, something I noticed about the koi pellets was sometimes it would turn their poo dark green -- not pea green, but a hunter green. I think there was a fair amount of spirulina in there, but I'm not sure because I had thrown the bag away.... :rolleyes:

I really think the reason my fish thrive is because of the water changes. I'm not joking when I say I change 80-95% of the water when I clean my tank. I leave just enough water to cover the backs of my biggest fish, and then fill it back up. I thought about it long and hard, when I was only changing half. I thought that if 50% helped, then why wouldn't almost all of the water be better? It could only give the fish fresher water, which I'm sure they really enjoy. It seems to give them more energy than waiting 10-14 days between water changes. Usually I get up early on Saturdays and clean both my large tanks [thank God for a Python!!!], my small animal cages [if they need it], and my betta bowls [i try to change theirs 2-3 times a week]. And of course, there's the dreaded cat box, and the outdoor pond. Not to mention 4 bird cages. =D