Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mars17

Suggestions On Type Of Fish?

Guest Mars17

Last year I lost my long-time old friend, a comet that started out at about an inch but at death was just under a foot long and living in a large plastic pond indoors (very inconvenient but I didn't want to expose him to the dangers of a pond outdoors as we have racoons and herons).

Recently I've started to get the itch for a goldfish again. Are there any varieties that don't end up quite so large? My LFS suggested an oranda but then I noticed a picture of an oranda as big as my comet was. I have no intentions of having another indoor pond and his old 55 gal tank was already turned over to tropicals. I just wondered if anyone was confident of a variety that could live out its life in his old 15 gal. without an upgrade?

:hi & :welcome

Sorry to hear about your comet. How many years did you have him/her?

For a fifteen gallon I would recommend a blackmoor, telescope eyes, bubble eye, celestial, fantail, ranchu, lionhead. If the fish you pic has good genes and grow fast you may need to upgrade in a few years. Hope this helps. :)

Guest Mars17

Thanks 2befree!

My fish was over ten years old. It died of an infection ( red streaks) that I couldn't get under control. I still feel bad. It was a very friendly fish.

I wouldn't want to have to go out and buy another 55 gal tank or go up to pond size again though. Is there one breed over another that stays "smaller".

I don't think Pearlscales get very large. Black Moors tend to stay smallish.

Although, with goldfish being what they are, there is always the possibility of them becoming freakishly large, especially if well-cared for.

Wow! I hope to keep my fishies as long as you have your comet. My 2 oldest are 3 years old and my orange oranda Peaches would be to big for the 15 gal.

Glad to know that you are willing to get back into caring for goldfish.

The bubbleeyes and celestial tend to stay on the small side. Or if you can find one-- siamese dolls stay small I think they only grow to 5 inches. But with good care and keeping the water quality good all the ones I metioned will live long in the 15 gal.

Personally if it was me and I could afford it, I would get at least a 20 gal. long or 30 gal. long. Then you could get any doubletail goldie and in the 30, 2 can live their entire lives in .

Maybe someone else will come along and help and add to what I've said.