Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LoveJesus

What Is The Max You Would Spend On Buying A Goldfish?

I think, if I wanted a quality goldfish, I would be willing to spend up to $35. I would be afraid it would die a month after I bought it if I spent more, and then I would have wasted my money. I think I would also stay awake all night worrying about its health and well being also, if I spent a lot on a fish.

IT is all relative. I ONLY spend money that has been earmarked for "recreational" purposes. Money that I have earned on the side. Money that I have unexpectedly come into. That way, I never look at the amounts. THe money only equals what I want and the amount is not considered.

If I see a fish, one that captures my eye, and I walk around the whole day thinking nothing but that fish, then I figure that I need to see if I can get that fish. Sometimes I cannot. Sometimes I can.

It is a bit like a trade. What may be worth $1000 to someone else is not worth that to you. You would rather have the car or the airplane trip or the fish. What are you willing to trade for a fish? That is what I figure.

I have sold embroidery work and used the money for fish. I have gambled (I know - horrors of horrors) and used the winnings for fish. I have done extra chores for people or baked cakes and cookies for people, and used the money for fish. I see those fish as cookies or mowing or embroidery, not green cash.

That said, I have spent over $750. on a fish, $600. on another. The fish are not money swimming in my tanks. They are daily smiles, that happy excited feeling I get every morning when I get up and turn on the tank lights and the fish dance for me.

Do not think of it in terms of dollars. Think of it in terms of recreational fun for yourself. Do you regularly go out to dinner? Cook at home and turn those dinner dollars into a fish. Do you drive to the close stores? Walk instead. You will buy less, and you will save gas money and be healthier. Turn the gas money into fish. Do you regularly have a special coffee or smoke a cigarette? Quit - you will be the healthier for it - and you will have all the extra money for a fish.

Life is too short to worry much about that kind of thing. If I find myself short on money, I stop some of my "bad" habits and cut way back. That is not difficult and usually is better for me anyway. And the joy that I get from my fish, my plants, my cats, easily outweighs the joy I get from a pile of dirty green paper.

If the $35. dollar fish is constantly in your mind, you have carefully gone over all the needs of the fish and how to keep them, you have a cycled tank ready, and you do not need the money for your mortgage, food for your child, or some other essential thing in life, then perhaps you may want to treat yourself. If you have not had any success in keeping fish well, yet, then I would suggest waiting until you get the routine of water changes and testing and all down a bit more. Then go for the "bigger fish".

The fish are a constant source of happiness for me. I LOVE them. :D

Well said.

But I have never spent more then 40 on a fish and the goldfish I have now, the most expensive one was 7. :lol:

Wow Daryl...that's a lovely reply. Irrespective of the amount I spent on buying a fish I do the same things like checking on the fish 100 times during their first night at home etc. I buy what I need to buy to care for my fish even if I have to forget about buying something for myself to save cash.

The max; I have spent on a fish is equivalent to approx: US Dollers 30. (AED100 that is)...

Guest Pushkin

This is a great discussion and I like Daryl's response. I've never spent more than $35 on a fish, back in my saltwater days (I had two clownfish). I've seen some beauties on line and think I will, follow daryl and give something up in order to get the $200 ones that I covet. I think even if I bought a $1 fish, I would worry endlessly anyway (I'm still cycling, so no goldies at the moment), and god knows I've spent more on my tank set-up than any fish I will buy will cost :lol: DH is starting to complain about my obsessive trips to the fish store for "just one more thing."

The most I have spent on a single fish is $110 -- on a LARGE ryukin I had eyed for well over 6 months. Unfortunately, he was not a match for the other fish I had a home, and was accustomed to a small living space, and did not adjust well to life in a larger aquarium. I kept him for less than 2 days, then returned him. The stress must have been horrendous, but he killed 2 of my fish and would not do more than sit at the bottom of the tank.

I have considered spending over $300 to import a good quality tosakin for my goldfish collection. Like Daryl says, my fish are not money. If I see a fish I must have, I buy it, regardless of that price tag on the the tank. Most the goldies I have now I have spent at least $20 initially on. Some of the fish I own I bought knowing full well they were ill -- like the oldest fancy goldfish in my tank. The fish was listless, always just sitting on its tail and looking about. I tried everything from Melafix to medicated food, and nothing seemed to help for months. Then there was a tail rot and ulcer condition. Iodine cleared that. It took about 3 months for her to finally adjust to life with me, and now is one of the most active fish I have the honor of keeping. Although, I really think the fish keep ME for entertainment. lol.

My koi range from $4-$25. I spent $8 on my oldest butterfly koi 6 years ago. The most expensive koi I own was $25.

My newest goldie was a TINY pearlscale I named Mr. Wibbles. I paid $4, but that was because of the size. This fish was dime-sized when I bought it, now it's about nickel-sized. =D

Fish are like other pets. Money doesn't matter. It's why I'm going to college to be a veterinary technician.

The most I ever spent on a fish is $20.00. and I love daryls reply. :exactly

The most Ive spend was $50 for my chubby lionhead. :)

The most I have ever spent was $30 for large orange oranda about 10 years ago. But now, I probably wouldn't spend more than $15, unless a certain goldie caught my eye.

The most I've spent on a fish was $7. But I would be willing to spend more if I saw a fish that I had to have and had everything I'd need and the extra money sitting around but being a college kid, extra money is scarce ;)

I love nothing more lay on my stomach on my bed and just watch my fish. I loose track of time doing this :lol: So yeah, what Daryl said was right. Its not the cost of the fish that counts, its the enjoyment you get out of having them :D That and not wanting to take a vacation because you don't trust anyone but yourself to take care of them...or is that just me :rolleyes:

i have never spent more than ?10 on a fish. Most of mine were around ?5 as i usually buy very small babies so i can watch them grow.

I dont think i'd pay loads for a fish as i would be too afraid that it would die.

I think it's funny that i spend much more than i would on a fish on things for the fish like food, filters, ornaments, water conditioner etc. Who would have thought a ?5 fish would end up costing so much!!

i have never spent more than ?10 on a fish. Most of mine were around ?5 as i usually buy very small babies so i can watch them grow.

I dont think i'd pay loads for a fish as i would be too afraid that it would die.

I think it's funny that i spend much more than i would on a fish on things for the fish like food, filters, ornaments, water conditioner etc. Who would have thought a ?5 fish would end up costing so much!!

Oh yes! I spent 15 cents on a feeder fish, found kokos and now $400(probably more) later the fish went from a two gallon hex to a 350 gallon pond :lol: Not to mention how much I've spent on my other fish :rolleyes:

Nice reply, Daryl, but my husband would very much disagree with you. He is still in the mindset of "It's just a fish". Sad, really.

I only have two fish, a betta and a young fantial, and neither of htem cost me more than a few dollars. But there is an absolutely GORGEOUS Pom Pom at my LFS that I would love to have. He's very big, and sort of a chocolately-orange color. His pom is bright orange (the other was bitten off by a koi), and stands out beautifully against his scales. He's about $130, but I would so buy him if I had somehwere to put him. But sadly there is no where in my tiny apartment to put a tank big enough for him, so I just keep dreaming.

Yeah, it's amazing how much it can cost you to keep fish!

I had no idea when we bought our fantail (it'll be 4 years this Sunday since we got him) how attached I would become. I've seen a couple of nice ryukins that I'd be willing to spend some $$ on but I'm just too afraid of putting another fish in my tank. But he has his "wife" :lol: to keep him company and soon I'll be adding his son/daughter in their tank.

However, if/when I'm ever sure my tank is chilo free, I'll be buying some new fish and probably spending a decent amount of $$ on them since I'll probably have to get them on-line. There isn't a pet store around that has any decent/healthy looking fish. Who knows, maybe by the time I'm ready to get some new fish, a new pet store will come to town.

I think my limit is probably $50, honestly. The most Ive spent so far is $26.00 on one goldfish.

So far, I've paid $75.00 for a top quality fish, but shipping was $55.00. So that means I really invested $130. Double that, because I got two fish, each at different times, and each cost $130. Yeah, and they died. I shut down my aquarium for a few years. But I couldn't stay away. I decided I'd buy a couple of inexpensive large, but pretty pond fish from a sand and stone place that also had fish for ponds. That way if they died, I wouldn't feel so awful. They were $30 each. I got them home, and discovered one had a badly crooked lower back near the peduncle. You see, I couldn't view them from the side since they were in the pond. They fished it out and I held it in my hands and it looked ok. The store owner wouldn't take it back even though I had just brought it home and my aquarium had just been set up. I kept them for a year, but the crooked back just got to me, and I just gave it away to a friend who has a pond. From the top, the fish is very nice, a nacreous fringetail. Lucky her, right? I'm about to do a baaad thing. I won a online bid for a blue oranda for $80. :unsure:

Edited by goldenlady

Guest quod me nutrit me destruit

Very nice response Daryl. I must admit, I only paid $15 and I got 6 fancy (different types) goldfish. I have 5 of the original 6. When i got them they were no more than 2 inches head to tail and 4 years later, 1 is up to 8-9 inches! I'm not saying i wouldn't spend a lot of money on a fish, god knows if and when i find my Panda Oranda Veil Tail i'll drop ANY and i mean ANY amount of money for the little guy! I think everyone has their 'dream fish' and wouldn't think twice on the amount for them.

very well said daryl, when it comes to buying a new fish i sit down and think, "is there something else i need", could i put that money towards my 75 gal tank i'm saving for and then get the fish, or would i like the new cd my favourite band just put out, it's not how much it costs, like daryl said, it's how much enjoyment you will get out of it, if the fish bores you, then buy something else, my fish are like my new best friend, this is going to sound corny but they're there when i need them, when i'm down i can look at my fish and they cheer me up, i can tell them things and they won't judge me, i can tell them about my day, i know there only goldfish, but that's how much my goldies mean to me

I hear about that dream fish!!!

If I ever find mine, I would be willing to drop thousands if I had it.

Although, I think my dream fish is a veiltail moor...

What is this fringetail I keep hearing about?

hi, the most i've spent was $60 for two goldies. I saw them at the petstore a week before i got them, decided right away that if they were still there later that week i would buy them and w/o caring about cost, just got them. :)

If i see a fish that needs a good home, i do not care about the cost. But also, to be realistic, I have to stick within my limits.

karls

I loved your reply Daryl! The most I have spent is $15... I am a starving student :rofl

I like buying small goldfish and see them develop to mature fish. I buy my fish from vvvv and know I will never get a high quaility specimen because breeders sell their low quality fish to petstores... However, my fish look like blue ribbon winners to me :D

I wonder if travelling to different countries to dive with sharks counts? Max amount 7 thousand to travel to South Africa for a month to dive (cage mostly) with Great Whites.

Back when I had the money to do that...*sigh*

My goldies were all rescued and so far I've spent $300 and I've had them less then a week...

And god help I'm going to vvvvv again tommorow.

No one tell my boyfriend k? :ignore

The most I've spent is $70 for a my XL Oranda, Big Vito! I found all 8 of my ranchu for 30 a piece (Very fair I think, as they are quite rare where I live) but if I found a very well shaped, promising Ranchu, I would gladly spend many many hundreds on it. My fiance hopes we never find one! :rolleyes: (Hehe, we had a similar thought, Kat!)

Edited by SusanH

Guest moormomie

200.00 is the max i would spend for 1 goldie( but not a runkin i dont like em very much, so i guess id spend 50 buck on a runkin)...and that is for a show quality pure breed from a reputable breeder here in the states...

Good response, Daryl!

And I agree. Value is all relative. I bought a gorgeous, gorgeous Common Goldie tonight. He was the only Common in a tankful of good-sized, healthy Sarasa Comets and at the particular department store, I knew that since he was in "that" tank, he was "that" price. I was just happy to find a sales associate to net him without knocking off any scales. Anyway, I have really been searching for a Common of this caliber, so I paid the price of a Sarasa Comet for a Common Goldfish who is probably "worth" a fifth of what he was priced at... which wasn't a lot. Consequently, he is now swimming in his own, $3000, 200 gallon set up [until I find a tank-mate of like caliber to share his digs with]. As per my taste, this is the most beautiful fish I can imagine... and with the potential to give me decades of enjoyment, with a little luck and a little work. I consider myself fortunate that nobody knows what he's "worth", except for me! ;)

CometKeeper