Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bob the Goldfish

Why Do Goldfish Jump?

When I got to C.E.S today, the smallest of the three fish had jumped out. From what I have heard, they had been jumping at the automatic feeder.

What I want to know is if they were actually trying to get at the food, or if they are stressed for some reason.

The reason I wonder is because I have heard that the largest fish has been seen to jump straight up and out of the water for no apparent reason.

The ammonia level probably isn't TOO good(there's a lot of brown algea), but nothing can be done about that right now because mmm doesn't carry BioMAX for some strange reason that they don't know.

I agree with Chris that the first consideration would be water quality. Brown algae isn't a sign of ammonia that I know of but it may indicate there is a lot of organic matter in the water. A lot of things contribute to brown algae, I've noticed mine is seasonal so I think water temps and light have a lot to do with it too.

Without knowing more specifics about the tank set-up and the water parameters it is quite feasible that the fish are jumping at the automatic feeder. Goldfish recognise the hand (or machine) that feeds them and they even know what time of day is dinner time!

You don't necessarily need BioMax or any other supplement?just do water changes if you suspect that ammonia is high.

The only time I've ever seen fish jump is if they are scared, the water quality is bad, or if they are too large for their tank.

Yah, parasites or forgetting to dechlorinate new water are other reasons. I think they might have a good reason to be jumping at the automatic feeder if they are hungry though. Its like how some fish jump and bite our hands when we are feeding them. Is the little guy okay? :unsure:

It's dead.

I have never seen them jump at my hand before. Sure, the big one will stick his entire head out demanding food, but I have never seen him actually jump at me.

One more thing - when I came in today, there was crack on the side of tank. It wasn't leaking and the fish didn't appear to be in any immediate danger, but I will definatley be keeping an eye on it!

Poor thing :(

If there's a crack, I'd move the fish into a separate tank or container as soon as possible. Any type of crack will automatically be under most of the pressure of the water in the tank and it can get very bad very fast.

What I want to know is what caused the crack. Algea buildup? Or is a stressed fish to blame?

I've seen GF spit rocks and crack glass.

Dave

Yikes!!

I think that its more likely to be a fluke in the design, or maybe the weight of the aquarium wasn't distributed evenly enough on the stand.

The smallest fish died when it jumped out of the tank.

The tank has been there for at least a year.

I have put in the normal ammonia filter to see if it will help with the water quality. The tank is a bit cloudy right now as a lot of dust fell in while inserting the filter, but it should clear up soon.

Also, the crack is slighty larger now, but still no leaking.

If the crack in the tank is growing larger you would need to empty it asap before disaster happens. It would break or leak meaning water all over the floor. Is there another tank you could put the fish in?

I'm not going back to C.E.S until Friday(unless I hear of an emergency involving the fish), but no, I don't have any spare tanks for the fish, so I would have to put them in the jug previously used to transfer water.

Your tank is going to burst. I don't know the size of your tank or how many fish you have left, but you can get a large plastic container (even a plastic garbage can) and transfer the tank's water into it and set up your filtration. You should transfer your fish right away. You can use the garbage can, etc. for something else later, so it wouldn't be a loss. When you go to the store to buy a new tank, take a small level with you so you can be sure your prospective purchase is level.

I have a 10 gallon tank with two fish(a medium Common named Hagrid, and a small Common named Harry. Hermoine was the one who jumped out.)

Used to have Ramshorn snails in the tank, many of their former homes are still in there.

Yep, I wouldn't muck around waiting for the tank to start leaking. If the crack is slowly getting bigger it's like an earthquake fault line - sooner or later the pressure build up will crack the tank open completely. It will be a disaster zone.

Oh good :) I was really worried that the tank would burst when you werne't there. What is this place, your work? No need to throw out the old aquarium. Tanks with small cracks make good reptile terrariums or fuzzy animal homes :)

I threw out the tank because I had no further use for it.

The fish are quite happy in their new home(not that they feel they are being fed enough), and there has been NO jumping from what I've heard.

My tropical tank had a crack once. (5.5 gallon) and i got the fish into a replacement just in time before it started leaking like crazy. it made a real mess.