Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

My 45 Rubbermaid Pond!

23 posts in this topic

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

took my 2 hours to put the wood together, pretty good for a 14 year old eh? :)

Edited by jimmy_396_jimmy

Lol - more than pretty good jimmy :D I think it's excellent. What are you going to put in it?

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

a few of my comets that where stuck in my 30 gallon

That's a clever idea, the rubbermaid was bowing out I guess.

Hey, alright!

Another container pond guy.

Very cool.

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

though i don't know what kind of filter to get, the little one on it now is just helping the cycling....

:D Nice work jimmy.It's always cool to see new ideas. Are you going to be adding live plants and such?

Nice work! It looks really good :)

Have you put any fish in yet? The cycle will die if there is no source of ammonia in the water. Your fish will love their new home :)

Jimmy, if you're going to cycle it without fish (and this is a less painful way of doing it) then try adding some ammonia to the water. If you can't find any ammonia, you can (and no i'm not trying to be gross) add some pee to the water - it's pure ammonia :D

This way it can cycle without having to do enormous waterchanges daily :D

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

no need, i already took some filter media and put it into the filter to help it cycle

Jimmy I think you misunderstood...

The beneficial bacteria on the bio-media will starve to death without a constant supply of ammonia (like adding a fish, fish flakes, pee :rolleyes: ). If you've already got fish, add at least one to keep the cycle alive, or else the cycle will crash.

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

heh, okay i just put like uhh.........one of my comets in it then but it'll be lonely

He or she may be lonely at first, but it shouldn't be long until the friends can join in. Do you have a test kit? If you do, moniter the water quality to make sure there isn't too big of a bump in the cycle. I'm not sure how long the beneficial bacteria can go without ammonia so hopefully it will be okay :)

Good work Jimmy. That wood will be a great support for your tub. If it gets sun out there your cycle will complete extra fast and the water will go green which the fish love and is healthy for them. Here's a very good easy explanation about cycling-

How to cycle a tank/tub

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

yeah i know a bit about cycling i just never visit the forums for a long time, and and yeah i got a water test kit drop kind

green water is good? isn't it algae or sumthing?

Yes its a kind of one celled alge which looks clear- green water no fuzzy bits! Great stuff!

Jimmy, if you're going to cycle it without fish (and this is a less painful way of doing it) then try adding some ammonia to the water. If you can't find any ammonia, you can (and no i'm not trying to be gross) add some pee to the water - it's pure ammonia :D

This way it can cycle without having to do enormous waterchanges daily :D

:rofl funny thought, but an excellent idea for getting ammonia, never thought of that one!

Guest Tanger
you can (and no i'm not trying to be gross) add some pee to the water - it's pure ammonia
constant supply of ammonia (like adding a fish, fish flakes, pee

Are you guys serious??? tell me if this is true... cause i will try it.. i'm settin a new tank up and if its true i will pee in it :hmm

Guest Tanger

it looks cool, but i dont get it.... u just made a frame..