Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
parkerdt

Dory And Nemo Update

Hi all,

You may remember my GF Dory who had a severe and extended bout of dropsy in March/April. Against all odds, I hand-fed her, did daily water changes, gave her double Maracyn treatments, PC treatments, UV lights, Epsom salts, higher temperatures, the whole nine yards. Finally Dory decided she had had enough, and we moved her back to the main tank which had been redone, along with her buddy Nemo. About 2 months have passed, they are at 76 degrees, no salt, and seemingly doing well. I apologize for not updating the board on them, but I've been working a LOT on my saltwater tanks. Anyway, here are some pics:

DSC_0061.jpg

Dory and Nemo's tank on the left, and my upstairs salt water tank on the right. To the left of the occupied tank is the hospital tank where Dory lived for 2 harried months.

DSC_0060.jpg

Little closer view of my main GF tank.

DSC_0059.jpg

Dory and Nemo snuggling - their favorite thing to do - Nemo is the common, Dory the Comet.

DSC_0057.jpg

Nemo totally eclipses Dory when in front - he's a whale.

DSC_0056.jpg

One more of the two of them together.

DSC_0055.jpg

They live next to these Clowns.

DSC_0054.jpg

Who share their tank with this Potter's Angel, named Hermione.

I'm so pleased to report how well everyone is doing, and my thanks again to Laurie P. for all the help with them, and to Koko, for having this great, caring site!

Dave

Edited by parkerdt

Hi and welcome back!

I remember reading about Dory. Glad she is better. It's good to see her back with Nemo. They look so cute together. :heart Nice tanks BTW. How big is Dory and Nemo?

Thanks!

I have not measured them, recently but that is a 58 gallon 36" tank. Best guess: Nemo is now about 8 inches and Dory about 6 inches.

Dave

Hey Dave--

I was just thinking of you the other day!! I'm sooooooo glad to see and hear how terrific Dory and Nemo are doing. Nemo is kind of a monster, huh? Wow, what great looking fish!

We've missed you around here. I hope this means we'll be seeing a bit more of you? :exactly

(And your salt water tank is gorgeous also!)

Hi FantailFan!

Thanks for the nice words! In reality, Dory just decided she wanted to get better. I was able to do some things with a lot of good help that facilitated her recovery, but she never gave up, and that was a huge key. I'm running a 15 watt uV on their tank, and 25% water changes every two weeks. It's just GREAT how their chemistry is holding in the big tank - I credit the UV for not letting algae get started, decompose, etc.

Nitrates stay below 10! Never thought I'd be able to say that. And, yes, Nemo weighs almost a pound last time I had him out of the tank. He got me completely soaked flopping around!

I will try and be more frequent now that school is starting back for my girls and I'm about done with my new salt water tanks - there is a new 120 and a new 70 in my basement that obviously didn't make these pics. Still have a bunch to do to get my other fish moved into their new digs, but everything is coming along.

How are things with your fish?

My saltwater tank in the pics is suffering from New Tank Syndrome - that is why all the hair algae, etc. But it is a phase all saltwater tanks seem to go through. The rubbermaid barrel in the foreground is saltwater mixing for tomorrow's water change. It will look better in another month, I promise! Those clownfish are babies - less than one inch, and the Potter's Angel is about 2 inches... Dory and Nemo look over at them and think "Lunch" :-)

Dave

Dave

Edited by parkerdt

:D Hi Dave.It's really great to hear that all is turning out well for Dory.They both look great in the pics,as does your other tanks.Looking forward to seeing the big tanks downstairs :exactly

WOW!! Your goldies are so gorgeous. Theyre so huge they make the tank look small! :lol: So happy to hear that Dory is doing better. :heart

Thanks all! I must say, I'm pretty pleased wth how good they look, considereing all the poor things went through when they were sick. And yep, they are huge and getting huger! Time to start planning the next tank upgrade, I'm thinking a 48" 90 or 120 gal for them within the next year.... perhaps even a 60" tank if I can make it fit.

Dave

Gorgeous fish.Love the clowns too :)

Great fish, your goldies are really WHALES!!

And the caption under the clowns made me LOL :lol: ........cause I often refer to my nutso neighbors as "those clowns"!! :lol:

Oh my word!!! Those fish aren't just huge they are massive!!!!!!! :o:lol:

Boy Dave you know how to grow down there.

I am so pleased to hear from you and see they are doing great. You are right Dory is a fighter but you do get some credit. You fought as much as she did, going on no sleep and such.

Wow I can't get over how big they are. Sure are cute!!

Great fish, your goldies are really WHALES!!

And the caption under the clowns made me LOL :lol: ........cause I often refer to my nutso neighbors as "those clowns"!! :lol:

I was begining to wonder if my humor was a little too subtle.! :D

And thanks!

Dave

Oh my word!!! Those fish aren't just huge they are massive!!!!!!! :o:lol:

Boy Dave you know how to grow down there.

I am so pleased to hear from you and see they are doing great. You are right Dory is a fighter but you do get some credit. You fought as much as she did, going on no sleep and such.

Wow I can't get over how big they are. Sure are cute!!

Thanks, Laurie! :hi

If you remember, early on in Dory's ordeal when things didn't look very promising, she and I had a conversation in which I told her that I would fight for as long and as hard as she would. After all it was my ignorance that caused most of the problem; I was darned sure going to do everything I could. Many, many nights, I was convinced she would not be with us the next morning. But, here we are!

They are finally getting used to sinking food - I feed them a mix of ProGold and the shrimp pellets from Rick's, and it obviously is agreeing with them. :happydance

Dave

Yep I remember. She is something special. Her and Nemo..........ya know, if they were to have some babies now that would be good. You will have to keep us updated on them. I think they are famous here.

I caught your subtle humor. I read the caption before I looked at the pic and was asssuming I'd see a couple of lil orange and white fish! :krazy:

My fish are doing pretty well. They have been in the 90 gallon for about a month now. I added, as you may remember helping me, a 15 watt UV sterilizer. And, to be honest, I haven't had the guts to scope for chilo yet. D still flashes so I'm assuming it's still in there. One of these days I'll bust out the scope . . . . Other than some flashing they look good though--rather active and eating well. :)

Their baby, who is now 8 months old, is having some SBD issues that I'm trying to clear up. Hopefully I can get it figured out so s/he is able to join them in the 90 soon.

If you do post pics of your other saltwater tanks, could you please PM? I'd love to see them but I don't really venture out of the goldfish areas of the site! ;)

Again, it's great to see that all your hard work paid off. Dory and Nemo look super. :exactly

Laurie,

LOL! Famous, or infamous? That was one darned looooong thread! I have more than a few grey hairs to show for it.

I've never seen any indication of fry from them, so I've been assuming they are the same sex - my girls named them when they were tiny free fish at the grocery store 2 1/2 years ago, now. Little did I know what the costs and rewards were going to be at that time. While I really enjoy my saltwater reefing, I've never "bonded" with one of those fish like I have with Dory. To this day, when I walk anywhere near, she comes over to say hello. Doesn't pay attention to anyone else in the family at all, unless they have food. :D

And she will leave Nemo to swim out and say hello. That's pretty special.

Since that bout, as you know, we've been busy. One of our dogs (Bichon Frise) passed away in April from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, and we got a new puppy Anna:

anna3.jpg

anna1.jpg

She came from a breeder of a long line of champions in Alabama; this past May, her half-sister won Best Puppy at the Bichon Frise national specailty meet. Anna (who is 7 months old now) has qualified for Canine Good Citizen, and is starting the Agility training curriculum in the fall. She's been a godsend to our older dog, Boo, who was also taken ill at the time we lost our other female. Turns out he's got the canine equivalent of Crone's disease, but it seems to be well-managed at the moment, and man, did she perk him up - he acts much younger than his 10 years! Vet says he's doing great, but he's on prednisone for the rest of his life, and has to be checked for bladder stones every 6 weeks. Poor guy has had it worse than Dory - May, a year ago, he had a completely stenotic common bile duct; they removed it and his gall bladder, and made a new passage straight from his liver to his duodenum - apparently just hours before his gall bladder would have exploded. So those two have contributed to my absence; it's been a busy time!

Also, I think I told you about my birthday present that I got Mid-May..

DSC_0022.jpg

I've joined several local S2000 car clubs and we've been going on drives every few weeks. It's been a real blast for this old buzzard!

So now you know why I've been away - but I will try and be more frequent now that things are settling down.

I appreciate the welcome back from everyone!

Dave

My fish are doing pretty well. They have been in the 90 gallon for about a month now. I added, as you may remember helping me, a 15 watt UV sterilizer. And, to be honest, I haven't had the guts to scope for chilo yet. D still flashes so I'm assuming it's still in there. One of these days I'll bust out the scope . . . . Other than some flashing they look good though--rather active and eating well. :)

Of course I remember the research you did on UVs! Glad you finally got one! How did you end up installing it? As I recall you were worried about whether or not you could fit one in your stand? My tank looks SO much healthier with the UV - and I think Dory and Nemo are probably going to have to move up to at least a 90 before too much longer. I'm pleased with the 15-watter- I've seen zero flashing from either of them, and our algae is under much better control.

Dave

The installation went quite well. I was originally looking at the 25 watt unit which was, I think, about 4 inches longer. AFter a few people told me 25 watts would be overkill (including the company itself) I went with the 15 watt. My hubby mounted it to a board and it fits inside the stand diagonally. It works out well, no stand modifications needed!

Yep, I bet Dory and Nemo would like the extra room. My fish aren't nearly as big as yours. Actually when I put them in there, it was hours before Dorothy ventured past the midline of the tank!! I lured Shoomey over with some food and she was all over the tank in no time. Dorothy took longer but is now enjoying the new digs. :D

How many tanks do you have? Seems like a lot . ..

Interesting about the UV! I was wondering how you were going to finally decide - sounds like it worked out well.

I do, indeed, have a few tanks. At the moment I have the following:

Living room: (you've seen pics of all these but the turtle tank)

58 Goldfish

58 Reef - Clowns (Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta) and Potter's Angel (Hermione) ,

Lawnmower Blenny (Jenny), Pulsing Xenia coral

20 long - Red-eared slider (Norton)

40 cube - Hospital tank - empty atm, thank goodness!

Kitchen:

50 breeder - Red-eared slider (Ralph)

Finished basement:

120 Reef - about 1 month into setup - needs a good vac! Will be new main Saltwater.

70 Reef - 2 months into setup, ready for my GS Maroon clownfish and an anemone - Green BTA -

Huge and being held at my LFS.

Unfinished basement:

120 Reef - current main Saltwater tank - Nemo Clown, Green Chromis, Coral Beauty Angel, Kole Tang,

Royal Gramma and 3 Pajama Cardinals. Jerry, Bobby, Laurie, Russ, Fiona, PJ, Teddy and

Night-Night.

Mebbe future Dory/Nemo tank? Mebbe turtles - not sure.

40 Reef - current home of the GS Maroon Clown, Shirley.

Scattered around:

20 gal - used for holding tank when cleaning turtle tanks.

12 gal - Nano cube - useless, but I paid a lot for it, so I keep it - may use for corals as I get more.

I have given away in the past year 3 tanks in the 26-30 gallon range (too darned small) and these are what I have left :-)

So, yep, I got a few.

Dave

Dave, Anna is adorable!! Boy what a face huh? I am sure she has added zest back to the old boy, by the looks of her, she is a cracker jack!!

I am glad things are going well for you. I remember when you got the car. Pretty thing it is. My favorite color! Now don't go getting any tickets in that thing.............I am sure if it were red the cops would've already pulled you over. LOL.

It sure is good talking to you. Hope you hang around. I would love to get updates on Anna and her agility. Not to mention that "famous" Dory and Nemo!!! ;)

And face it, with all your knowledge now you can sure be an asset here.

Thanks, Laurie!

I will try and hang around more often, and perhaps I can help a little. I'm an expert in a VERY small subset of the problems we see here, but I am always happy to help when I can! BTW I subscribed, hopefully I'll get a banner soon ;-)

You are right on all counts about Anna. She's been a real joy!

Do you think it is OK to feed Dory and Nemo the ProGold and Shrimp pellets as a regular diet? I do try and fast them one day every two weeks followed by peas, still. The poops that next day are, well, large!

Dave

Great to here you are a subscriber!

Yeah I would think that would be a good diet. I would really keep those peas up though. Keeping Dory flushed out is a very good idea.

And when you treat dropsy you have more knowledge than you realize. Just wait and see you will find you know more and more.

Thanks Laurie,

I will definitely keep up the peas. No sense in messing with something that is working! And they both do seem to like them, now that they are used to them. I was just pleased when they stopped trying to eat off the surface, and started making a beeline for the rocks at feeding time! You DID note their rocks, didn't you? :lol: I have you to thank for that idea, too!

Dave

Ya know I didn't. I will have to go back and look. I was too in awe with them to notice anything else. LOL

Edit, Hey they look just like mine!!! LOL