Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kissy

Poor Fishies

For the past couple days, there has been a 1 gallon bowl in my anatomy classroom with 3 goldfish in it: 2 comets and 1 common. Poor little guys...I'm not sure if there is anything I can really do. From what I can see, they are here for a basic lab where they observe the behavior of the fish and take notes. Its not for my class, but for a biology class that also shares that classroom. I don't know what hours they are in there or who the teacher is. Its a very sad thing because they are all very beautiful, but gasping like crazy. Today they were noticably less active in their bowl. I can not keep them permanently because I don't have room for an aquarium of that size when I go to college, but is there anything I can do? I'm not sure if they have a home or not. I can see that a little aquarium gravel and Wardly's goldfish food has been bought for them, but those things are relatively unimportant if they don't have a larger aquarium or filter. Maybe I could take them in, treat them if need be, then find them new homes on freecycle? I did that with a couple ACFs last year and that worked out well. The only thing is that single tailed goldfish are much cuter and prettier than frogs and I'm afraid I won't want to give them all up because I've got an empty 29 in my room. *sigh* What should I do guys? I hate to just leave them there...

Edited by Kissy

If allowed, I would take them home and put them in the 29. Make sure they are in good health and then try to find them new homes. If the fish are living in a 1 gal. bowl they won't last to much longer. If you want to keep them----do you have someone that can care for them while you are away at college?

Maybe you could convince the teacher to give up the goldfish and use labirynth (sp?) fish instead.

That way you could find better homes for the goldfish and the teacher might enjoy actually using the same fish every year instead of letting them die and buying new ones.

Thanks 2befree. I know its really biased, but I was hoping that some one would suggest taking them home.

I'm a senior this year, so I have 1 year until I go to college. I plan to stay in a dorm for at least the first year for social reasons, and then hopefully after that move into an appartment or small house with some friends. The 2 colleges I am looking at closest only allow 20 gallons per student and they are 2.5 hours from my house, so I couldn't stay home. I already have a total of 16 gallons so I couldn't even take a reasonably sized aquarium without assuming I get a nice roomate who will tolerate them and pretend they are hers. I'm actually very close to getting a full ride scholarship to both of those schools, so if I can find a buddy or two that I want to share an appartment with, that may be an option.

There isn't anyone here that I can really trust to take care of fish, especially goldfish. My parents would probably try, but they don't care enough to keep up on maintenence and there are SOOO many mistakes new fish keepers can make.

I think its best to at least try and find them a new and caring home. Those frogs that I rehabilitated went very quickly, so I'm sure a home would be easy to find.

Hopefully they'll be there on monday, and I'll bring my portable bottle of prime to help them out. I gotta find out who the teacher is and whats the deal. In the very least, I can donate a filter and some media if they've already got a home.

EDIT: Ohh thanks Nen :) I'm sure they'd be more accepting if I suggest a substitute. I honestly don't thinkg a 1 gallon is okay for any fish, but much better a betta than 3 goldfish. The school has very regulated temps so a heater probably would not be nesessary.

Does anyone else have ideas?

Edited by Kissy

Kissy that's really sweet of you to take an interest in the wellbeing of these fish, I hope you can work something out.

If everyone in the world went out of their way to do something kind to an animal, fish or another person the world would be a much better place.

If it were me I would definatly take them, sort them out in the 29g then find them a good home before leaving for college.

I would find it hard to give them up too, but if you know they are going to a better home and being happy you could do it. We all know you care enough to do that so it shouldnt be a problem :)

Or if you couldnt find them good homes.. put it into perspective, I'm sure someone in your families care, even in a 29g would be much better than leaving them in the bowl ;) then maybe you could find (or build! :D ) them a pond.

Go for it see if they will let you take them and rehome them.I'm sure if you explained all you know about goldies requirements they may let you take them or even give them the proper accomodation they deserve :exactly

Bless you for caring, Kissy. And for thinking about it constructively.

I chickened out today! I brought my mini prime and detoxified the ammonia in the bowl this morning. They actually seem okay for being in a bowl so long (and healthier than any of the goldfish I've brought home..go figure). I'm just a tad concerned about one because he seemed more sluggish today than the others. Hopefully he'll be feeling better now that I added prime while no one was looking. Yah I know, I'm learning absolutely nothing about anatomy. Fish are more interesting by far!!!

I did hear from my friend who has the same teacher in a later hour that he and the bio teacher are looking for students to take them home since they were only bought for an observation project. Hopefully I can be brave tomorrow and ask about them. I want to bring home at least one! They are pretty little things. If I can't keep them for their entire lives, I may as well give them a good start in life. Possible adoptors would for sure respect a 10" fish over one that is only 3" long or so.

I'm sure they felt much better after a dose of Prime.

I almost chickened out today, but I walked right back into my classroom and asked the teacher about it, and he said he'd ask the bio teacher later that day. My friend overheard them talking about me taking them home, and supposedly they'be lived in that bowl for a long time! They were originally the the bio teacher's kids' fish and she said that it was a miracle that all three were alive. Poor little guys..hopefully they aren't stunted too bad because I want them to grow up big and strong. I'll find out tomorrow if I can take any or all home I guess.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. :goodluck

Grrr...

I almost brought them home today. The teacher said it was fine and I could pick them up today after school. However, I forgot that I had to walk today :( I don't think those fish would be well after a 45 min walk in 110*F but I didn't want to leave them there because they were very sluggish this morning :( I worried all day, and I kept hinting to David to give me a ride home. Either he didn't want to get involved because he was jealous of me worrying so much about the fish or he was just being thick and didn't pick up on it. I kept calling my mom so she could call my grandma to see if she could pick me up, but she didn't call back until a 1/2 hour after school got out. I had a ride, but the doors to the Anatomy room were locked. My grandma works tomorrow, so I'll have wait until Friday to bring the poor things home. I'll bring some more prime to school, and hopefully they'll be okay :unsure:

Oh good luck Kissy, I hope the fish can hang in there until you get them into a better environment. Are you keeping them yourself?

I GOT 'EM!

Oh man they looked horrible this morning, much worse than I thought. The water had suddenly become so cloudy with ammonia that you could not see a fish if it was on the far end of the bowl. They were all at the top gasping. I gave them some prime and decided to take them home today, rain or shine, whether my arms fell off on the way home or not. Luckilly I found a friend to give me and the fish a ride home. I ran to the classroom after school but the lights were already out...but the door was cracked!!! I think my anatomy teacher remembered and left it open for me :)

They're acclimating right now. I was tempted to just put them into the 29 gallon, but the pH difference was huge. They've got an airstone and they're breathing more normally now, thank god.

I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep them...I guess it depends on how attatched I get and how much work all these tanks will be. The most I can keep them is a year because then I go to college, and I just don't have enough room for them there. I'll make sure they find a good home :heart

Good for you hun! :heart Im so happy that you got to take them home with you. :D

Well done Kissy, the angels are smiling on you right now. Good luck with those poor babies, I wish I could help you out.

Kissy, yay! Good for you! Those are some very lucky fish!

No matter what happens with them you did the right thing to take them out of a bad situation and try and turn it into a good one.

I am proud to have you as a co-parent to our moor-who, by the way, is doing great and almost ready to join Lisa in the 20 gallon!

Thanks guys :)

For some reason it took REALLY long to match the pH. I think I used about 2.5 gallons of my water added to the bowl water and it STILL didn't match correctly. I eventually just put them in their new tank. They seem like they are doing okay. They were pretty active in exploring their new home and not scared at all. Jen, I hope they get as big as cherry or her friends! I don't think they will though, because by the size of their eyes, they look very stunted. I noticed that the little common was doing some spastic swimming so I have to keep an eye on him. The biggest is a 3.5" female comet and she has the orangiest color. The other two are small (abour 2"), and I know the common is a boy, but I'm not sure about the small comet. To be honest, I hate the two small ones' coloring. Its this pale yellow that looked pretty at first, but whenever I look at them, for a split second I think they are dead. Its that dead goldfish color yuck. I know that's shallow, but I hope it changes, and I hope they're not stunted. I love them already :heart

Did the pH go up? A swing up is going to be fine.

Well saved Kissy. Don't worry if you can't keep them longer than a year, im sure someone else will come along for them then. A year of good care with you will make them stronger. Would love to see a pic!

Okay, I've thought of names for these guys. The big comet girl's name is Io, the small comet is named Calypso, and the small common's name is Telesto. I felt in touch with our solar system today :D I hope I can keep all of those "-o" names straight!