Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ellnbea

Ph Issues

hi I'm having some worrying ph problems

I noticed that my fish were acting a little less alert than usual and after measuring parameters in the tank, I have

amonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 5 to 10

ph 6.8

ph from tap 7

last water change was yesterday, but only changed about 20% water

now the worrying thing is my ph usually measures 7.6

the ph from tap has obviously gone down for some reason, what do I do, should I do annother water change straight away or will I add something to the tank such as limestone rock or something????????????

As long as pH stays stable and doesn't keep fluctuating a ph Of 6.8 is fine.My main tank has pH 6.8 . I would test your pH daily at same time to make sure it remains stable.Its easier to correct low pH than a high pH.pH can be increased by use of coral gravel.As the coral gravel increase your KH and GH which in turn increases pH.

Edited by Blue

yeah but its the jump from 7.6 to 6.8 thats worrying me, cause isnt that like 100 times more acidic or something???cant get to petshop for coral gravel today so is there anything else I could use???what about baking soda can i use that??if so how much do I put in??

You can use baking soda but I can't remember how much.I'm sure Devs or daryl knows how to work it out.I would keep an eye on your pH for now as it may stay stable at 6.8 as long as it doesn't go lower.Baking soda may only keep it stable for a short time as when I have used it pH eventually drops down again which is why I opted for coral gravel as within 48hrs pH is stable.

Edited by Blue

ok i'll wait and keep testing.....but i'm just worried about my fish they are acting a bit wierd! I'll try and get the coral gravel tomorrow

I'll see if I can get one of the mods to help you as the baking soda will help its just getting quantities right at least it will stabilise pH till you get some gravel.

right I dont have tests for gh and kh, and the only place I can get these is online and they are gonna take a while to be delivered if I order them. but the last time I tested the hardness of my tap water the test strip said...moderatly hard, think I tested it about a month ago with a quick dip strip. and I am living in a hard water area.Is it a posibility that something was added to the water supply by the council or something like that, Think I will ring them to find out. by the way I did another 20% water change.

Drinking water utilities add Lime (CaO) and soda ash (Na2CO3) to reduce water hardness by precipitating calcium carbonate and magnesium hydroxide. At the end of the process pH is stabilized by adding a strong acid or CO2. I can think of two things that may be happening. The utility may have increased their softening efficiency... you can measure to test if the hardness has decreased. Or they could be slightly overdosing the acid at the end of the treatment. Anyway, the pH is on the safe side. As a precaution, I would test the KH and GH to make sure the water is well buffered.

thanks for all your help.i'm going to get those kits, I tested again and ph is still 6.8 but I'd just feel more comfortable if it was a bit higher and well buffed.