Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OrandaBeauty

What Do You Do ?

Hey guys

I am pretty sure Pugsley and Capt.Spaudling are nipping at Bears long tail.Now bear has big splits in his tail.

What should i do with the splits? and also is there anything i can do to make them stop??

I think they are picking on him cause Bear is the only really big fish in the tank,hes 7 inches long and has a super long tail,now hes surrounded by smaller 4-5 inch fishes.

Thanks for the help

:) OB

Edited by OrandaBeauty

Short of seperating them I don't know how to get them to stop but if the damage looks to bad and its safe to salt your tank you can salt to .1% to help relieve some stress and promote healing. Beyond that I'm not sure what to tell you, perhaps someone else will chime in with an idea.

If Bear seems stressed out by the nipping I would consider separating if you possibly can. Salting would help the healing. One female fish I have gets pushed around by a male a lot and sometimes gets frayed fins from it but they heal up and I haven't moved her because she seems okay with it. Cooler water helps too- the fish are less active.

Lets see, its a tablespoon for every five gallons. You've got 60 gallons so that would be 12 TBSPs. Theres 4 TBSPs in a quarter cup so you would need 3/4 of a cup of aquarium salt. YOu may already know about salt but I'm going to tell you anyways just in case. No salt if you've snails, plecos, loaches or any other scaleless critter. Use only aquarium or pickleing salt, basically no table salt as they add stuff to it that is very bad for fish. Heres a link on salt that goes over the fine points in greater detail. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...?showtopic=8382

Thank you veryy much appreciate the calculations :)

Im wondering if they are just bugging Bear because they are new? I remember my other lionhead would always bother new fish and now he doesn't do it anymore. I hope they stop or else i wont have a choice to get rid of them since i already am taking up space with Bubba in another tank.

oh i forgot to ask,should i take the filters out or the salt is safe for my filter cartlidges?

You can leave it. I usually put salt nomatter what happen all the time.

Make sure you don't have zeolite in your filter. It looks like carbon but is white. Zeolite absorbs ammonia and salt makes it release the ammonia. You definatly don't want that to happen. Carbon is fine to leave in with salt, but zeolite can be deadly.

Hey nichjake thanks again for the help, I do not have zeolite in my filter which is a good thing :)

One last question,how long do i do this for? & Do i just put the salt in or i have to disolve it?

thanks alot :)

The low concentration of salt in the tank can help heal some small wounds - fins and tails, etc - as long as there is no underlaying condition that is causing the fraying - parasites or another fish that is causing the problem. You can, as some do (small ranchu) keep your tank at 0.1% at all times.

You will not get the healing affect of the salt if the reason for the fraying is not addressed, though. If you have a tail or fin shredder, you will need separate the fish. I have one fish that thinks he is a shark - he will shed any tail he can get within minutes.... the little snot. But I love him dearly. He has his own tank for he will not tolerate a tank mate.

Fins that are shredded can take several months to heal.

One last question,how long do i do this for? & Do i just put the salt in or i have to disolve it?

thanks alot :)

For salting to 0.1%, you just need to pre-dissolve your measured out salt into a cup/jug of tank water and the slowly add it back into the tank. I'd go with a couple of weeks to start with and then review it. Remember, you'll need to replace any salt you water change out in the meantime.

Sorry to hear Bear is being nipped at, maybe it will settle down in a few days when they all get used to each other :unsure:

Like Daryl says, don't let the problem escalate too much. If it gets bad, you'll need to seperate them - although you may be able to re-integrate them again at another time. Best of luck with it, I'm sure it will work out OK :)