Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
awrieger

4'x2'x2'

Yes, I had in mind a goldfish store or something..

Well I suppose, (worded well )you could get some of the expenses tax deductable then :lol: Seriously though, they are very beautiful and thanks for sharing all the useful info...

Amazing AW - thanks. If I get this tank up and running successfully - it'll be thanks to you :D

BEAUTIFUL..! especially the one with the statue.. its just beautifulllll......

Wow! What an amazing tank! It looks just like the ones in Takashi Amano's books! How often do you have to tend your water garden? The roots of my anubias grow without direction... they are a mess all over. How do you control yours? I have lots and lots of questions on how to improve my planted tank but I should start another thread for that. Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos!

I'll be looking forward to seeing it, Jen! :)

My pleasure, Imogen. And thanks Snowman and Kingyo!

Kingyo, not quite Amano as he would never use pots of retaining walls in his 'nature' aquariums like I like to do! My tending is just a 50% water change every week or 8 days or so, along with ferts after each change. There's no regular trimming or pruning or even replanting required as I don't use any stem plants. I may have to prune the red lotus eventually though once it starts growing too big.

These Anubias are all freshly replanted, so I had the opportunity to re-bury their roots. But unless they're aimed so they have something to grow against, like driftwood, they will put out lots of mangrove type roots looking for something to anchor to. The one in the middle in the vase for instance is aimed outwards so it will eventually grow roots hanging down outside the vase as it gets longer.

Thanks AW... I'll anchor my anubias. I just clicked the link to your photo album and was blown away with those great pictures of beautiful fish in wonderful tanks... you could put a very nice book together! What kind of camera are you using?

Thanks Alice! :) Do you mean just above the wall, or in front of it?

Above the wall in the corners are Anubia Nana Petite, which is a dwarf smooth-leaved Anubia. There're a few different types of Anubia around the tank, some you can see with rippled leaves, but the Nana is the smallest growing variety of Anubia. Great for border edges!

In front of the wall is Cryptocoryne Willisii, which is also a dwarf variety.

thanks AW, i was talking of the Cryptocoryne Willisii. It's a stunning plant, but then i am fond of most dwarfs for some reason (plants, that is).

bro you have some beautiful show quality goldfish also.. im your fan.

Hi awrieger! Your tank is as beautiful as always. I was wondering where you got the Budda from, because I've been looking around but haven't come across one. My tank is in the dining room where I have a Balinese/Asian theme, so a Budda in the tank would really suit the room. Are you able to buy it online?

man im gonna have to give a planted tank a try. they all look so beautiful

Thanks everybody! :)

Selena, I found it on pygmypossum.com.au. They're in Queensland. I'd actually not recommend getting one as it's completely hollow inside. Both goldfish and tropicals started acting sick after a while with it in the tank so i probably won't ever risk it again. Or maybe it's something in the material. It's pure ceramic, but unglazed. Or maybe it's just a coincidence.

PS. I'm already considering pulling this tank apart too and just quitting planted tanks altogether as I'm not really a gardening-type person anyway (my backyard looks like a wild jungle, untouched by humans), but there are too many fish so maybe I'll just downgrade it to a smaller tank. And my Ryukins are getting larger and need more space. I don't really want to put them in a pond unless I have to, so I just keep looking at this big 100g tank and seeing six Ryukins in there. ;)

Lol AW and they'd love you for the mansion proportions your 4x2x2 would offer them :D

I don't think it matters because no matter the size, any planted tank you design will be absolutely stunning and I think you can still enjoy a beautifully planted tank in a smaller version :D

PS. I hear you on the jungle outside your house ... I need a machete just to get to my front door :rofl

An update.

I've removed most of the Amazon Swords in the background and left only two because they just get too big and put out dozens of runners, and have rescaped the background so it provides a proper aquascape when viewed from the both sides of the tank now. When you looked at the reverse side before it was just a wall of Amazons providing a background for the front side. No pic of the reverse side yet as it's still growing in.

Anubias grow slowly, but you can see the central one has gone from a single stem and four leves to half a dozen stems and lots of leaves. The dwarf Anubias are growing thicker but stay short.

I spooked most of the fish while taking the photo so you can only see a few in this pic. There are about 60-80 fish (I've lost count, some die, new ones are born) currently in this tank I think.

0703241.jpg

Edited by awrieger

Thanks Fred. :)

It's quite fascinating having a large planted tank like this as many of the fish disappear in amongst the plants, often in their own special areas. For instance, the 24 Cardinal Tetras all occupy the far left bottom of the tank in amongst the plants, but you can only see one in the photo. All the Glass Catfish occupy the area just right of the middle, also in amongst the plants. And I know there are 4 loaches in there somewhere because I see one every now and then, which is a rare occurance sort of like a Bigfoot sighting, lol. All those 'safe' areas the fish feel protected in make them feel secure and relaxed, so their colours are very vibrant too.

What I also really like is that it's a very active tank with so many fish, but all the occupants get along extremely peacefully so it's a very relaxing tank for me too. :)

Here's a picture I posted in my other goldfish picture thread recently of the left side of the tank showing what it looked like with all the Amazons putting out hundreds of runners and plantlets - literally an impenetrable jungle. Looks much better now I think with only just the two Amazons now.

0702147.jpg