Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LoveJesus

Removing 50% Of Water At Water Change Too Much?

I have heard people say that you should only take out about 30% of the old water at a water change. However, people recommend more for goldfish because they are so messy. So is it O.K to take out 50% of the water, or is it bad for the cycle and the fish? Thanks.

Now this depends on:

1. tank is cycled?

2. the water conditions?

3. how many fish in the tank?

changing more than 50% will destroy the cycle. Change 25-35% water weekly.If you must change 50% of the water,try change 25% first and then wait for 24hours and change the other 25%.This help reserve the good bacterials. ^^

Edited by BadBoyzon9

I always change 50% when I do water changes. You must make sure the pH of your tap is fairly close to your tank pH, if not exact. The beneficial bacteria that help the cycle of the tank are found in the filter media, not free floating in the water. (Unless you have added a product such as BioSpira.)

Guest Tamiyaguy

Assuming your tank is established, a 50% water changes are typically fine. While you do lose the beneficial bacteria in the water, you also happen to lose whatever bad was suspended in it as well. With a well cycled tank, most of the beneficial bacteria are attached to the gravel floor of the tank and to biological material layer of my filter. It's not a great loss to get rid of 50% of the water.

If you are concerned, for example you run a bare bottom tank or have no biological filter material, then you may wish to purchase a bottle of "Cycle". It's basically BB in a bottle, add a capful for every 10 gallons you remove and the BB will come back in short time.

I typically change 50% of the water every week while I cleanse the gravel. Never had a problem with breaking the cycle. Note - I do age my water before using it.

Thanks,

Peter

If your params are reading bad,then the only course of action is to change out as much as needed to make it right again.I have tanks that I actually change out more than 50% and have never had any sort of problem at all.I have big filters though, and have tons of Good bacteria to keep the cycle from bumping.

If you have bad water params,and your only changing out a smal amount-it's not going to be enough to benefit the health of your fish,because your param readings will still be unacceptable.If a cycled tank is supposed to read

Ammonia-0

Nitrites- 0

And Nitrates under 20ppm's,and you're not getting those results,then you have to do the water changes whether it totals 50% or what,so that you can get those levels into the perfect readings.

I agree with the above, completely. As stated, the biological filter - beneficial bacteria - are NOT in the water. They are in the filter. To a smaller degree, they live on the tank sides, decorations, surface gravel and plant leaves. But the number of bacteria floating freely in the water are so insignificant in numbers that it is not worth considering them. The only time you would ever worry about the bacteria in the water is if you had added a product, such as BioSpira to seed a tank.

For that matter, the beneficial bacteria that live in the gravel base of a tank are not as plentiful as once believed. The bacteria require oxygen to process the nitrogen of a tank. To do this, they must be in contact with moving, oxygen/nitrogen laden water. Gravel buried under other gravel does not do this. Gravel in "dead" portions of the tank does not do this. There is actually only a very small portion of the gravel base that acts as an active biological filter. Every time you clean your gravel, it is stirred, turning under the active bacterial growth and placing gravel on the surface that contains no bacteria or less bacteria. This action limits the size of the colonies of bacteria that live in the gravel. Gravel is not a dependable source of beneficial bacteria for your nitrogen cycle.

Far better to create a colony of bacteria in filter media - media that is not disturbed or media that is rinsed to remove mulm, but not disturbed.

Many breeders change out 100% of the water on a daily basis. A flowing stream or a stream fed pond is changed nearly 100% every day. This is considered the ultimate in goldfish housing - a mountain fed stream the constantly replaces the majority of the water on a daily basis.

A time honored method of treating a sick fish or a fish with parasites is a tub to tub move - moving the fish into a 100% clean tub of water on a daily basis.

As long as the pH, temperature (gH kH, etc) is the same or VERY close to the same as the last body of water the fish was in, there is no harm what-so-ever in changing out as much water as you need to, to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish.

I change out between 50% to 75% of the water in each of my tanks at least every 4 days - some tanks get more changes. If I am feeding heavily for growth or whatever, those changes are upped to every day or every other day. Several fish are moved daily - in and out to tubs in the sun - a 100% water change each move. They are thriving.

My biological filters are exremely strong and hearty. They withstand just about any medication and treatment there is without a bump - or a very small bump the bounces back within a day or so.

With some care and considerations, water changes can be as large as needed to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish - giving the fish a clean, healthy home to live in. If you are cycling a tank, the healthiest thing you can do is change a LARGE amount of water to keep the ammonia/nitrites below 0.50ppm. I aim for 0.25ppm. My tanks cycle easily and well. Nitrates can stay low, even in a heavily fed tank, with large water changes. I want my nitrates below 20ppm - I prefer 5.

Change that water! :lol:

Guest doc.

that was a long post,devs! :) but (i actuly read it all) its very true. :exactly

Actually that was Daryl.

I change at least 50% of my water weekly in my 100 gallon. Like the others mentioned my filters are healthy and that's where the majority of the biofilter exists. The big water changes always seem to perk my babies up.

I don't have any aquariums going right now, because all my fish are in ponds outside (eating tons of natural mosquito larvae!!), but when my 80 gallon tank is cycled and running, a routine water change for me means a 80-90% water change 1-2x/week. That works good for me.

Just adding that I do 50-70% changes on my 55 gallon once a week to keep nitrates down and have never had a problem. :-)

I agree, don't be afraid to change out as much water as necessary to keep your water quality as good as it can be.

We all know that generally speaking, small regular water changes are better than infrequent larges ones, but be guided by your test results. In a cycled tank it's the nitrAtes which are the problem and water changes are the main way of addressing them.

I've also noticed that the occasional very large water change does really refresh the fish and they are much more active. Take a look at Daryls very interesting post on NitrAtes in the research forum too :)

changing more than 50% will destroy the cycle.

As daryl & devs said, the number of beneficial bacteria in the water is very insignificant, so 50% w/c is not harmful at all. I regularly change 90% water in all of my tanks.

Where do u get the statement above, badboyzon9?

I generally do 20% water changes every other week and on the 6th water change(3rd month) I do a 50% water change

java script:emoticon(':exactly', 'smid_6')

:exactly

I just don't think 20% would be enough! I almost ALWAYS do 50%, & like the others said maybe more. I have ALMOST removed all the water! Re-read this post IT IS A GOOD ONE! I am getting ready to remove some more water now, even tho I did a good water change this morning! Water Quality is the Pay Off we seek!! :exactly

That's why I chose the line "We are a Slave to Goldfish AND Water!"