Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pootwilson

Filter

i just got 2 baby orandas and i think my filter is too strong because when i turned it off they seemed to settle down more how can i use it without them getting stuck or having to constantly move(i dont think the filter will be a problem when they are bigger but for now it is too strong.) thanks for any help

What type of filter do you have and what size is your tank.As tank size determines suitable size filters.Can you adjust the out flow of your filter.It isn't advisable to have your filter turned off for any length of time except short period during maintainance.Can you adjust direction of out flow.

Edited by Blue

it is a whisper filter for 10-30 gallons it does 150 gphand i have a 29 g tank i cannot adjust the flow either.

Your fish will cope sometimes changing position of filter especially if its an internal sometimes helps as the flow is re directed and may give some places in your tank where they wont be blown around.I'm not familier with whisper filters as I use the Fluval plus range but I'm sure there is another member familier with your type of filter. :)

Maybe put something in front of your filter output like a tall ornament or lots of plastic plants.

As long as theres a bit of the tank where they can rest then they will be fine.

Well you only really have 1/2 the filter requirements you really need. The best thing i could suggest is what sandy said by putting stuff infront of it to interupt the flow.

I have a whisper filter on my tropical tank, theres hardly any current at all and its probably about the same size as yours, if it is the same i cant see why this would disturb your goldfish.

Are you sure it's the filter making them restless? If they are new they will take a while to settle. The filter is the most important thing for their health, it should be on.

I agree completely. The fish need more filtration - a 29 gallon tank needs at least 290 gallons per hour turnover. At 150gph, you do not have enough.

Strong, healthy fish in a tank with good water parameters should be just fine with good filteration. All fish need the currents to swim in - it strengthens their muscles and makes them strong and healthy. Just as important, though, is a "sweet spot" where there are very little currents. This is where the fish will rest and sleep. This can be created by a rock or a set of plants to block the flow.

I would double check your water parameters, making sure that there is nothing there that can be bothering the fish. Remember - nitrates are important - low nitrates (under 40 - I like 5) will go far to prevent aimless floating.

Then observe your fish. Are they struggling against the flow? Block it a bit in a few places they seem to like. Can you move your filter to the end of the tank and not the middle? This will make the water at the one end quieter.

what i have done in this situation works great, first make sure you have removed any air tubes, so your not putting more air through the filter, then if you can attatch some sponge on the filter outlet, and that will slow the water pressure, it has worked great with my two very powerful 2200 filters. but with these i also added extra tubing to the outlet so the sponges had more room to be tied tightly to the tubing.

Edited by puggirl