Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kissy

I Bought Sickly Plants

I think I need to pay more attention at the petstore. I went in to buy some anacharis but theirs were actually looking pretty bad. I didn't want to wait another month to go to the petstore so I just picked out the greenest bunch. I bought a bunch of bacopa too. I got home and took a look at them and they are worse than I thought. The bacopa looks okay actually, and is very green. Almost all of the leaves are broken or cracked, and it doesn't have any roots? I think they were freshly cut...so will roots grow with time? The anacharis looked a lot worse than I thought when I bought it. The only healthy parts are the top 1-2" of the stalks. The rest of the leaves are broken and rotten. There is one root on one of the stalks.

I wish dfernandez would send me some of his lush anacharis forest. The water smelled kind of chemical-y and I think they were attempting to treat the plant tank for the blue-green algae they had. Stupid employees..I bet they didn't know it would kill most of their plants and not harm that type of algae.

I gave the new plants along with some older new anubias a PP bath. I had bought the anubias about a week ago, but I wanted to disinfect them together. They're in a qt popcorn bowl (lol, I'm running out of buckets, tupperwear and tanks to make qts out of :rolleyes) right now and they'll be in there for about 4-5 days before a second PP bath and then they'll be planted. I trimmed the anacharis a lot and I think it will be okay and hopefully grow lush and tall after its in the tank. I added some ferts to the bowl to help them re-coop.

I guess not all is bad. The employee that got the plants for me really had no idea what she was doing and I had to try not to laugh. She had good intentions, so I think she was just new. She helped be pick out a the healthy bunches of plants and bagged them, but the funny part was that she used her mouth to blow air into the bag. I guess if you really think about it, the plants use CO2 during the day, so there was no harm done or slobber, but I don't think she thought that hard about it. I believe she messed up on recording the code numbers because It came out to maybe 2/3 the price of what it should have been.

They should bounce back and be lovvverly plants with your care. I've bought loads of bad plants and they always turn out to be the best ones in the long run. When I buy something that looks wonderful in the shop, the ride home and QT/disinfecting usually kills it back anyway.. either way they have to grow again!

I hope that new girl isnt blowing her air into the fish bags too :o:D

I hope that new girl isnt blowing her air into the fish bags too :o:D

Eww I hope not too! Lol. I'm doing a black out on my tropical tank to try and rid the blue-green algae, so I have the light resting on the plants' popcorn bowl for qt. Hopefully they'll bounce back :)

I think I need to pay more attention at the petstore. I went in to buy some anacharis but theirs were actually looking pretty bad. I didn't want to wait another month to go to the petstore so I just picked out the greenest bunch. I bought a bunch of bacopa too. I got home and took a look at them and they are worse than I thought. The bacopa looks okay actually, and is very green. Almost all of the leaves are broken or cracked, and it doesn't have any roots? I think they were freshly cut...so will roots grow with time? The anacharis looked a lot worse than I thought when I bought it. The only healthy parts are the top 1-2" of the stalks. The rest of the leaves are broken and rotten. There is one root on one of the stalks.

I wish dfernandez would send me some of his lush anacharis forest. The water smelled kind of chemical-y and I think they were attempting to treat the plant tank for the blue-green algae they had. Stupid employees..I bet they didn't know it would kill most of their plants and not harm that type of algae.

When I first got my bacopas, they were in pretty bad shape their leaves were broken, the terminal buds were eaten off by the lfs? fish, they had no roots, and the bottom of the stems had rotted from the weight being wrapped too tight, but after having them for a week or so they grew roots and new side shoots.

The employee that got the plants for me really had no idea what she was doing and I had to try not to laugh. She had good intentions, so I think she was just new. She helped be pick out a the healthy bunches of plants and bagged them, but the funny part was that she used her mouth to blow air into the bag.

:tomuch: That is just too funny Kissy! Your face must have been a picture!

Still, it is quite sweet really :D

Funny story. :)

Good light and good water - they should bounce back ok I think.

My anarachis forest is a little thin now because the bog plants are huge, and suck all the nutrients out of the water. But that means zero algae.

There's always a balance. :)

I nearly always by my plants online, and when they get here they are always in bad shape, however like everyone else has said, with a little care they soon bounce back! just make sure to remove any rotten leaves and stalk first.

I read something interesting the other day about anacharis releasing antibacterial chemicals into the water, which in turn, can prevent blue-green algae and possibly some bacteria that will make fish sick. Has anyone heard of this? It sounds nice!

Speaking of blue-green algae, mine's GONE!!!!

:rockon:bounce:nana :alc :booty

The 4 day black out did the trick! Now, hopefully with regular maintenence and no rotting driftwood I can keep it away. How nice it is though, not to worry about that foul-smelling slime webbing over my aquarium. I really do mean foul-smelling. It smells a bit like dirt and I didn't mind it at first, but toward the end the smell started making me a little queezy after pulling it off of the gravel and plants. Party with me!!!

QT is over for the plants, so one more KMnO4 dip and they'll be ready. They look better and worse.. The bacopa's lower stem segments started to melt off again along with some leaves, but there are new leaves at the top that have grown in. Same with the anacharis. The anubias looks a little worse though, some of the tips are kinda melty. Maybe my solution was too strong last time.

Should I just chuck the plants into the aquarium and let them adjust and grow roots before I plant them? Without roots they'd probably end up floating around anyway, and if they are going to rot, I don't want them doing it in my gravel. Aqua, how long did it take before your bacopa grew its roots? Did you let it float first?

And daniel, when have you EVER had algae? lol..

And daniel, when have you EVER had algae? lol..

I've had both blue-green algae and string algae.

I've used both Microbe-lift and Pond-Zyme to get rid of blue-green algae. I snip the string algae back with scissors in the winter. It dies back to almost nothing in the summer.

In the photos you've shared, the water is so clear that we can see the bottom of your barrel pond clearly. Hard to imagine algae in such a clean-looking enviroment with lush plants.

Aqua, how long did it take before your bacopa grew its roots? Did you let it float first?

I dont really remember, it probably took about 2 weeks. I dont know if this had anything to do with then rooting or not, but I didnt have any fertilizer when I first bought the the plants, so when I finally got it in the mail put some in the tank they grew roots and leaf buds a few days later. I kept mine weigted, and made sure not to wrap them too tight so the stems wouldnt rot. If I leave them to float they usually end up dying, I don't know if that is because I don't have a green thumb, or if the plants just dont like floating. :blink:

In the photos you've shared, the water is so clear that we can see the bottom of your barrel pond clearly. Hard to imagine algae in such a clean-looking enviroment with lush plants.

Ok, you forced me to prove my honesty. This is a shot I just took straight down the side of the barrel liner. There's lots of reflexions, but you can see the algae plain as day. It stays the length you see most of the summer - but in the winter I have to give it haircuts every week. :D

20060820-141804-640c.jpg

I'm starting to get the feeling that bacopa is more sensitive to KMnO4 than most others. I planted one stem in my aquarium and gave up on the rest cuz they were all curly lol. That one looks okay, but the other's leaves are starting to bruise and rot again :(

Thanks Daniel, I feel better about my plant keeping abilities now :D