Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
alexiscool

Is This A Good Idea

tomrrow i going to the pet store and i am wondering so far i have a fantail and a comet can i get a moor and a lionhead on the same day also how long should u qt a fish? please post :)

Its not wise to mix fancys with commons/comets.How bigs the tank.Will they all be together.Afterall a comet requires 20 gallons of water and your fantail 10 gallons.So to add a moor and lionhead you require a min 50 gallon.Quarantine should last for 2 weeks.Hope that helps :)

its a 45 gallon my friend has a 55 gallon with 5 goldfish and 2 algea eaters and he has a koi and the others are fancy and they look fine.

Edited by fishcrazy

You might be able to get ONE more fish but even that would be pushing it. If I were you I wouldn't get any more and let the ones you have grow nice and big. That comet of your will get huge and eventually that tank will be too small for it even if it were the only fish.

could i buy a 10 gallon tank and put the comet for just a little while it use to live in a goldfish bowl until it got to big i also have a emty bowl any ideas what can a use it for ?

You can use the bowl as tank decor, thats really all their good for. Why would you be putting the comet in a 10 gal for just a little while, what would you do with it afterwards? It certaintly can't live in a 10 gallon for very long, its just not big enough, especially if its not cycled.

i guess i have to beg that my mom will let me have more tank :please:please:fishtank::goldfish:

I really wouldn't advise getting any more fish for now until you get a bigger tank for sure. You'll be so surprised at how big your fish will grow with good food,good water quality,and all that space. :D

I agree with the above advice. Keep the tank the way you have it and leave the comet in it, don't put it in a bowl or 10g. Comets can grow pretty big if you take good care of them.

For example

big-big-fish.jpg

*Not my fish, wish it was though

Maybe you could convince your mum to get a pond in the back? That's what I'm doing since I don't have a backyard of my own.

You'll be amazed at how large a comet can get -- don't believe anyone who says goldfish will stay small in a small tank/bowl. My brother won an inch-long comet at a fair and for a couple weeks I kept it in a large bourbon glass until I could get a tank for it to live in. That fish gained several inches within that month!

Guest patchthefantail

What everybody says is all good and well, but I know somebody who has a 29 gal. tank and has 8 goldfish in there. Mixtures of commons and fancys. Has the same filter that came with the tank. Has plants in the tank. Has a bubble maker (a skeleton I'm not real thrilled with). She has a bunch of anacharis in there. And she checks her params everyday and it's always fine. She does a 1/3 water change once a week and all her fish are good and fine.

What everybody says is all good and well, but I know somebody who has a 29 gal. tank and has 8 goldfish in there. Mixtures of commons and fancys. Has the same filter that came with the tank. Has plants in the tank. Has a bubble maker (a skeleton I'm not real thrilled with). She has a bunch of anacharis in there. And she checks her params everyday and it's always fine. She does a 1/3 water change once a week and all her fish are good and fine.

Patch, your friend's fish may look fine right now but that is definitely not going to be a long term thing. Just because "someone else is doing it and their fish look fine" doesn't mean it's the right way to do it, nor is it recommended.

Her fish are probably stunted and having their lives shortened by being overcrowded. Those of us on here who recommended so many gallons per fish know what we're talking about?we have done research and read what the experts have to say. Many of us have kept fish for many years and know the right and wrong ways to do this, and that's why we try to pass things along, so that other fishkeepers won't make the mistakes we used to.

Guest patchthefantail

Well, it was never his intention to buy all these. in fact he didn't. People just knew he loved animals so when they don't want their pets.. they drop it on his doorstep. he has those 8 fish, 4 cats, 3 dogs, 1 bird, 1 saltwater tank, 1 tropical tank, and if i'm not mistaken 3 hampsters. So he's doing the best he can really. He "claims" he knows people so he's having a friend of this make a huge tank. But it has 3 parts to it. each part is 100 gallons. one for each type of fish. I wish i knew people like that :|

i can't get any more tanks i only have 2 one is a 7 gallon and a 45 gallon

Guest patchthefantail

Well me and my husband are HOPEFULLY going to be moving soon so the fish will stay with my mother (who watches them as much as I do) until we get settled and then I think we're going to split them up. Which we bothe hate. Cause we've both become so fond of them. If I don't buy something for them, my mother will. So we have both our husbands on our case about it LOL

It's so tempting to add "just one more fish."

Everytime I pass by a petstore I just have to take a look at their goldfish.

The orandas are so cute!

Especially the little chocolate orandas and the big green oranda at my LFS.

Guest patchthefantail

I know. That's what kills me. Is that when I pass by a pet store (even W.M.) I HAVE to go look at their fish. I usually take someone with me and let them go in ahead of me to tell the employee to either don't sell me any fish or only sell me one. Depending on what I tell the person when we get there. And that usually works. The employee really wants to make a sell but knows I don't need it right now.

Oh yea.. and I'm moving Sept. 8th!!! :D BUT.. the bad thing is with that is that I'll only be 5 mins. away from my fav. pet store. lol... so temptation HOPEFULLY, won't get the best of me. lol

Hey patch, could you make your signature smaller? It kind of makes it a pain to have to scroll left and right all the time to see your posts because it is so long. Pretty fish though!

Guest patchthefantail

Oops... my bad. I was playing around with my signiture yesterday. I thought I had deleted it yesterday but i guess i didn't. I'm trying to do what I had originally with all my fish but I don't have a program to put all my pictures together like that.

That's still rather large...for my computer I still have to scroll a bit to see your words, and that many large pictures can really slow down the internet for people who do not have fast internet. We actually have a rule now about the size and length of signatures. I've got photoshop, do you want me to fix it up for you? I'd be happy to if you need help :)