Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jackson

Can Fancy Goldfish Jump Out Of The Tank?

my single tailed goldfish jump out of the tank

but i was wondering can fancy goldfish jump out?

(i'd fill my aquarium all they way up to the top....all the way to the black rim)

Yes they can.

Guest jiiglypuff

i wouldn't fill it all the way up to the top...

well.. like the post i had earlier.... the tank will be in my room... so i dont want my power filter making a waterfall when it hits the tank because its loud so if i fill it to the level which the water doesnt freefall... it will be silent

I had one of my little orandas jump out of the tank one morning. Luckily, I

found the little buttmunch before he dried out.

Just make sure that when you fill up your tank, that you keep the water level 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the spillway of the filter. It really shouldn't make too much noise. I actually find it soothing when I'm trying to sleep, but I understand that not all people would! :D

yes i no if you are spraying your self then some could go into the yank and yes it will kill your fish and its not just that witch can go in as well

Guest gaffan

It's really asking for trouble to leave the tank uncovered. Even little guys can build up some speed and get really impressive trajectory and range when they set their minds to jumping. Keeping the water level an inch or two low is no protection if they get the right trajectory. I've seen a 2" fish manage a 8" kamakaze jump.

The really on-the-cheap alternative to a hood is to get a piece of stiff plastic at a hobby store (or get a cheap picture frame or three at the dollar store) and cut it down to fit inside the outer rim on the top of the tank (cutting out spaces for filter outflow and such, of course).

For covering larger areas, fabric stores sell a nylon mesh for about a dollar a yard. I used that to cover the 70 gallon storage bin that my guys wintered in last year, and always keep it over the pond for the first few days when they move back out in the spring, since they tend to get jumpy in new environments.

I'm glad someone finds the water soothing!!!

All it does for me is causing me to go to the bathroom ALL day long!!!!!

Talk about torture

:rofl

:huh: Lydia, is is just me or did I miss something? Your post seems out of context here.

Yes to a lid!!!! Absolutely essential!!! I don't even leave the flap open even for a short while. I would hate to lose a fish that way. :cry1

I have heard that fish will jump out of a tank with poor water--spiking ammonia or nitrite. So it is good to check your water as well as have a lid.

"Yes to a lid!!!! Absolutely essential!!! I don't even leave the flap open even for a short while. I would hate to lose a fish that way."

your asking me! I left the flap open while I went to get more water for my tank and I see one of my big goldfish flopping on the floor. that was years ago though.

Guest gldfshkpr

To me, a lid is not necessary as long as water conditions are excellent and your fish are healthy and happy. I'm going on 3 years now without hoods. This gives the fish more oxygen, more natural light, and more exposure to people! I will not recommend it to everyone. For me, it is the only way to go!!!

untill some thik falls in it them you think o ###### y did i not put a lid on the fish tank

Guest pearlscaleman

The faster goldfish such as shubunkins and comets will probably be able to jump out of the tank. But there is one thing i'm sure about, pearlscales can't do it because they are too fat :rofl

Pearlscaleman,

You would be serprised

If a oranda with a over grown wen grouth can jump

out of a tank i think a pearlscale can

But subunskens and commets and common goldfish are fursure

the best to jump out of the tank.

LOL@LYdia it makes me do that too LOL!

Wynkin, the sound of the water from the filter splashing into the tank makes you have to go to the bathroom, well it does for Lydia and me anyway LOL. I don't like my tank to make noise for that reason :rofl

So far I've had no jumpers. My tank upstairs has a lid on it, but I guess I am playing with fire with the 20 gal. I don't fill it too full, I don't care if it makes splashie noises, I don't have to listen to that one for hours on end, it's in the basement. I really should put the lid on it.

Jessica

Guest pearlscaleman

drat, but i am surprised they can jump because everytime mine attempt a jump they just hit the surface and stop.

i lose my lid... so i need a transparent cover so light can get through for plants and fish...

i was thinking of net type materials.. the ones with the big wholes... i'll probably go to my uncles resturant and take a empty 50 LB onion bag... the ones with big holes (same materials as hair nets)..

or i might go back to my old high school and ask the tech teacher for some white plexy glass....

Guest kip
Wynkin, the sound of the water from the filter splashing into the tank makes you have to go to the bathroom, well it does for Lydia and me anyway LOL. I don't like my tank to make noise for that reason

I agree with all 3 of you. My tank is in my bedroom and if I don't fill it to the top, I'm in the bathroom every hour on the hour thru the night, when it just starts to evaporate it is soothing but after that it is annoying. I have a glass top and I can't imagine being without it. I've never had a fish just out but being a light sleeper I've heard thumps and thuds during the night, and I know its coming from the lid area. There is that hard plastic with holes in it that you use for craft projects that can be used for a cheap lid. You can cut it to size, then cut out of piece for the part you lift up to feed the fish and put glue a small pebble on it in order to lift it up. Looks pretty good. It makes a good tank divider also cut to fit any tank.

Guest alex

i find that without a lid i get a lot of evaporation, especially in my heated betta tank. besides, i don't want a load of dust and stuff getting into the water.

hehe thanks JessicaandMarshall!!!!

Wynkin , JessicaandMarshall explains what I was refering to.. Sorry to appear like a weirdo having to 'share' that with you all but it was funny ;)

still is.. good for the night walks i suppose.

:rofl

but yes back on topic, best have a lid.. one of my goldies always tries to jump - the water is fine, its just in its nature to explore and beyond :|

Guest jim

I once left my lid off for 3 minutes (while I was cleaning my filter out) and one of my weather loachs jumped out and so did a small ghost koi i was looking after. I also find that a lid keeps down the amont of water evaporated away.