Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
daryl

Sterling - As Promised....

36 posts in this topic

He has grown approximately 1 inch since I got him...... I took these pictures this afternoon.

Front......

Right side.....

Left side..........

post-27-1154726239_thumb.jpg

post-27-1154726293_thumb.jpg

post-27-1154726347_thumb.jpg

He is soooo pretty. Congrats Carol

Wow daryl hes huge.Hes a beautiful big boy :)

:thud

He is more breathtaking everytime I see him. What a beatuiful boy he is!! :heart

Absolutely stunning Carol :heart

WHOA! He looks like he gained LOTS of red since you last posted! I remember when you first got him the photos looked like he was all black and white. Very beautiful fish!!!!!

Hubba hubba! Sterling's sheer bulk and body mass is what caught my eyes the most :blink:

I have worked hard to intensify his red. It used to be a soft orange, but now rings in as a true, deep red. His black has intensified and is now in sharp contrast to the white. Good UV light from the sun is responsible for most of that..... I had to be careful - the color enhansing foods might have turned him "pink"! :yikes

:D

He's more stunning than ever....you've done really well with him Daryl. I hadn't seen a front view of him before, just his profile.....what an absolutely cute little face he has! :heart

All I can say is WOW! :druel

What a fatty! He is so cute!!! Love the colors.

Oh Carol, I would love to be able to wake up everyday and see such a beautiful fish in my tank, I bet you enjoy Starling. :) He's grown some since the last time I saw his pic's on here. Stunning Fish, You should be proud of him.

Wow!

So many great pics of beautiful fish lately.

Sterling is truly one of the most handsome fish I've ever seen - you must be so proud Carol... I still can't get over his size but I think what takes the prize are his fins - just amazing :heart

Wow. So you keep him outdoors? I wonder if there's a non-dangerous UV tube that can do the same thing.

wow what a beauty a very stunning fish you have, i just have a few questions, when you keep them out then bring them in, does it stress them going to not natural lighting and to a tank home? where people can look in and walk past ect, also when you bring them in does there colouring fade as they dont get natural uv rays? also how it is summer there, and you have brought him in will he fade much quicker?? as he has been out and now coming in. just wondeing about these few things.

I honestly have not done this enough to know all the answers. I do know that fish will grow much better and much brighter in the sun. The bigger part is mostly heavy feeding - nearly constant if it involves green algae. Without a source of freely flowing fresh water all the time, it is very difficult to mimic the feeding practices many breeders can accomplish. It would require almost 100% water change every day - beyond what I am capable of doing. The fish will grow just as large, but it will take them 5 years as opposed to 1.

What I have discovered is that the sun does everything they say it does for color. The reds and the blacks have gotten much more intense in the sun. I do not know how fast they will fade. They have not faded in the past couple of weeks when the temps outside have been over 105F....and STerling has stayed in the aircondtioning!

I have set up a temporary greenhouse - a glassed in house with a fan - (tiny little thing) - on our patio. Between the raccoon, the blue heron, the feral cats and the coyote, a fish would not stand a chance out there for longer than 5 minutes. So I have a 100 gallon tub in the little glass enclosure. When the temps are not too awful (which they have been recently!), I take the fish out and put him in the tub. He gets fed 4-5 times a day in his little tub, happily communing with the sun. At night, I bring him in to his indoor tank. My hubby laughs. He says we do not need a dog, I walk the fish instead! Sterling is a very gentle soul - he does not mind traveling in a bucket. He swims right up and lets me pick him up.

I clean the tub's water 100% in the evening. I have a cycled filter that stays with the tub, fed ammonia on days when the fish in not in the tub.

I am thinking of taking my shukin, Eros, out for a spell, too, and perhaps Kermit, the froghead. Kermit is a tail shredder, though, and cannot share a tank with another fish. (a a real piece of work - he would probably bite me if I tried to pick him up!) So I need to think some more. I am considering ways of fitting another tub or two in that little glass enclosure.....

:)

WOW that sounds like a cool system you have for your fish, 100% dedication there, thats great, no wonder he looks fantastic, 1 very spoilt friend you have there. :) well done.

I remember Sterling :lol: !He is so special :heart and lucky to have you too- all that you do for him. Has he won a show award yet daryl ?and how heavy is he?I don't know if fish are weighed or how but he looks nice and solid. His tail finnage is so beautiful too.Thanks for the picture update.

:D Sterling looks awesome Carol-I can just picture him bringing a ribbon home to you.

He's massive isn't he?WOW!!! And his coloring made me drool the moment I saw him.I have always loved the Black/White combination,and that hint of deep red here and there,really is like the icing on the cake.Beautiful!!!

And that Kermit,he is definately something else! Everytime you talk of him,I just gotta laugh.Is he still doing well with his recovery?MAybe you can show us him again. :heart

:lol: hahaha "walking the fish" :D His black has definatly got blacker, he's amazing :o When's he going to a show?

This is Kermit. As you can see - his wound is healing nicely and the scales are growing back in. Whether or not they will be sufficiantly present for show at the end of this month, I do not know.

Kermit is a froghead - approximately 13-14 inches long. He has grown even mor than Sterling has in the past few months, wound not withstanding!

Lucy - I have 9 fish attending the show at the end of this month........... (I hope - for you must never know.... Toby has a little red dot on his side..... I am watching it carefully......)

post-27-1154793021_thumb.jpg

awwww Kermit is sooo sweet Daryl, so he lives on his own because he tail shreds? You'd think butter wouldn't melt to look at him! :D

Kermit is cool.Name suits him with him being a froghead. :)