Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The crazy fish lady

I Don't Want To Lose Another Spawn, Please Help!

Well, in the course of about 2 months, I've lost 2 spawns of about 40 fry. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The water chemistry is perfect, but for some reason, my fry just can't survive past 9 days (the record, so far). My last spawn all hatched, but died within a day. I've been kind of depressed.

My fish spawned again a few days ago. I don't know who's the mom or dad (there's 2 girls and 2 boys, and 1 I have no idea about. S/he looks like a male, but doesn't have breeding stars) but I managed to save about 15 eggs (only 14 are fertile, but in chinese, 14 is a bad number. So I stuck one infertile egg in there anyway. If it starts to fungus, I'll take it out. ) They're in a tiny glass container, 'cause I really don't want to drag out the 10 gallon tank, since last time it was a waste of work. If they hatch, I'll move them into a 1 gallon, and if they survive long enough, then I'll bring out the 10.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. All I can think of is that the temperature fluctuates too much. But that doesn't really make sense, considering that most goldies are concieved in outdoor ponds, where I'm sure the temp changes more than inside. Also, I haven't treated the eggs with a fungus preventative. I have Jungle Fungus Clear, but I'm not sure if that counts. I have an airstone, and haven't been using filtration as I'm sure that they would probably get sucked up.

I would really, really like to have at least 1 fry survive into adulthood, but I don't know how to make that happen. Can anyone help?

Maybe we can get the new batch past your last "9-day-deadline" with some luck.

can you tell us the exact things you did with the last fry:

- what food, how much, and how often

- water changes - did you do any, and if so, how exactly did you get the water out and back in, did you use any dechlorinator

- what kind of filter, if any

- any kind of airstone?

- how deep was the water in the tank

- temperature during the day and night in the water

- pH

That gets us a better picture of what might have happened to your last two batches before they died. A few deaths among fry is totally normal, just not all of them dying all of a sudden. There is something that bothers them, and we'll have to find what it is. :)

Food: Hikari First Bites (powdered), 3 times a day, sometimes 4. Uneaten food was sucked up with a turkey baster. No one sells BBS around here that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Water Changes: just littles ones, about 5% daily. I used a turkey baster and checked several times over to make sure no fry were sucked up. I use Prime water conditioner.

what kind of filter, if any: no filter

any kind of airstone?: yup

how deep was the water in the tank: give or take... 7 or 8 inches.

temperature during the day and night in the water: During the day... maybe up to 80, usually around 75 - 70, nights are 71-68 degrees F. I don't have a submersible heater, and the water level isn't high enough for me to put my heater in.

pH: No clue. We got it tested at the LFS and they said it was 'good for goldfish'. No clue what that means though.

The babies are moving in their eggshells. It's kind of cute.

Guest GolfNut

My babies won't eat Hikari First Bites. I actually threw the package in the trash yesterday.

Edited by GolfNut

Okay, now we get a better picture..... :thumb:

Four things that come to mind:

1. try keeping the water level at no higher than 6 inches. Fry are extremely delicate, and their tiny little sceletons do not handle much water pressure well. The deeper the water is, the higher is the pressure, and the little darlings will simple be crushed to death. You can't tell by looking at them, but they just be dead after a while, depending on....

2. How much air comes out of that airstone? With small fry, I hardly ever have more than 1-2 bubbles per second come out of that airstone. Anything more than that, and it causes too much current in the water, and it will be extremely hard for the fragile fry to swim constantly against a strong current. After a while they are just exhausted. That combined with reason #1, and you will see fast and plenty deaths.

If your airpump doesn't let you adjust the output of the stone, there are valve regulators out there for just a few dollars that you can install between the airpump and stone.

http://www.vvvv.com/global/product_det...&N=2030044&Ne=2

3. The temperature fluctates quite a lot between night and day, which also can be a huge problem. If your fry are in a 10 gl tank with 6 inch of water, you can easily put any heater you have into the water, just tilt it until the whole heater except the top level where the water line is sits in the water. You can clamp the cord onto the rim of the tank, so the heater doesn't fall accidentally completely in the tank.

4. How fast do you put the new water into the tank, and is it the same temperature than the tank water? If the water goes in too fast, and with a different temperature, that can kill little fry. What I do when doing water changes is, I have a bucket of same-temperature water sitting out overnight, then put it somewhere higher than the tank is. Get a piece of airline tubing, hang one end into the freshwater bucket, suck on the other end a little bit, and then hang that end into the fry tank. That way the water enters the frytank reeeeaaaallly slow, and its just perfect for the little guys. Too fast, and we are having troubles with water currents again as in #2.

I know, those things are all extreme, but so is the little fry when they are so young. As they get bigger, they get much hardier, and you don't have to be so cautious anymore. My 4 week old wakin fry can handle quite some "abuse", but first they have to get to that age...

Lets see if we can get your fry big and healthy with just a few adjustments.... :thumbs:

Thank SOO much, Ranchugirl! I think I love you lol

I doubt that my mom will allow me to put the heater in like that, unless I duct tape it to the aquarium to make sure it doesn't fall in, but I'll try my best to beg and plead lol. I do have something to adjust the airflow in the airstone already.

One more question: would it be better to put the eggs in the 10 gallon now, or the fry once they've hatched?

Yeah, moms, huh? Talk to my 15 year old teenager, she can tell you things... :lol:

There is no need to put any food in the fry tank right now - the eggs haven't even hatched yet. And when they do, they still do fine without food for 2-3 days. While hatching, they have something called an egg sac attached to them, from what they feed the first couple of days. During those 2-3 days they basically just hang on the sides of the tank and do nothing much. Once they start free swimming, THEN its time to give them their first meal. If you put in eggs now, all you do is polute the water. :)

Maybe they'll hatch tomorrow?!

Sorry, bad wording. I meant, should I put the goldfish eggs into the tank now, or should I wait?

I think the eggs will either hatch early tomorrow or early Friday. Keep your fins and fingers crossed!

Oi, the EGGS!! :lol: Yeah, its better to move them while they are still eggs, not little fry.

Just VERY gently pour the content of the glass, and the eggs, into the fry tank, then add dechlorinated/temperature matched water also very SLOWLY. Once they hatch, its hard and dangerous to move them around. :)

I think we might have been crossing our fingers a bit too hard... They're hatching... NOW! Yikes! I haven't even set up the tank yet!

Will they be okay in like... 3/4 cup of water until I can set it up?? I should only be for a few hours.

They'll be okay in there, sure. If you already got the valve for the airstone, you might wonna stick that in there, and put it on a very GENTLE setting, like 1 bubble every few seconds.

I'd definetely get that water you are planning on putting them set up right away. Even if they only go in there tomorrow morning, at least the water has time to settle in the tank, and get its temperature more stable towards room temperature.

No good news on Mom's approval for that heater yet, hm? :unsure:

Mom said no to the heater. She says it's not worth it if it falls into the water.

Did you get to move the little guys yet?

None of them made it through the night. I don't know what happened, I had the airstone on, I put them in the TV cabinet where it's a bit warmer than anywhere else in the house, but they all died. All of them.

Guest oranda kid

I have two small fry and I just got a small net for fry at nnnnnn and left the fry with the parents in the net its hard to clean but it seems to work didn't have to set up a new aquarium I thought I would get another put fry in new net and clean old one

Gosh, that stinks! I am sorry the fry didn't make it. I believe that it was probably nothing that you could have done - you didn't disturb or move them, they had air, dechlorinated water, a nice warm place, no food poluting the water. Did you get a chance to test the water they were in, just out of curiosity? :)

No, sorry, I didn't get a chance to test the water. It's already down the sink.

Too bad - it would have been interesting to know what the parameters were in the tank.

Don't give up, Fish Lady - maybe next time it'll be a success. Those little guys are so tricky sometimes. Sometimes I wonder if its the same than wanting to get pregnant, and trying everything, and nothing works. Then you forget all about it because you just had enough, and WHAM! :unsure: