Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stacyy

I Angered Pet Sales Lady

Well today I decided to go down to my Pet City to buy a dechlorinator since mine ran out and i need them for water changes, and while i was there this stupid woman comes in the store and looks around at the goldfish. you could tell she was in a pickle and the sales lady was just following her so i asked her if she needed help and she was like " i have 2 goldfish and i want 3 but they have no goldfish here" i looked down at the tanks and about 6 of them were full of goldfish. i was like, "of course there are goldfish, right there" and i pointed to the tanks. she stared at them in confusion and said "those arent goldfish" i looked at the tanks and realized why she may have been confused. the tanks had ryukins, orandas, telescopes and ranchu's, no common goldfish. i asked her if her fish looked like those normal fish like the ones we eat but small and gold and she answered yes. the sales lady spoke at this point trying to make her sale and said, well you can get any one of these to put in with the other two. she looked at me and i nodded. and she puts this smile on her face and proclaims "Ok then!! ill get any one of these!" i stared at her and as the sales lady went to get a bag i asked her "how big is your tank?" she pointed to one of the tanks there which was about 5 gallons. i nearly flipped. i was like and you already have TWO fish in there? and she nods. so i start explaining to her how each fish needs 10 gallons (but i must have sounded quite stupid cuz i was speaking greek and i had to translate to liters and i kept stopping and thinking) and she gasped when i said a little under 60 liters per fish and she was like "so much for just a goldfish?" and i was like YES! they make so much ammonia!! and the sales lady comes over and is aobut to get the fish but the customer looks at her and says "the girl says that 3 fish cant fit in a 5 gallon" the sales lady (in an attempt to sound educated on the matter) looks up as though she is contemplating and looks at the lady and asks " do you have a filter?" "yes!" says the weird lady and the sales woman quickly says "then its ok" i turn around swiftly and say "how is that ok? i should HOPE she has a filter in that 5 galloN!, the filter is regardless, you still need waterchanges and a bigger tank! fish have an enourmous amount of waste, and she will stunt their growth! fish are made to live over 20 years and this womans fish will live less then a year! I am saying this for the good of the fish! do you want the fish to die??" i say this and the stupid customer looks up in a sort of daze and goes "oooh so Thhaaats why my fish died less than a year old!" "yes!" i go and the sales lady looks at me like im stupid and says "my girl, if you change the filter once a month you dont need to change the water or anything and everything is fine" i looked at the customer and said "i am very educated on this matter, i have taken classes (not true but they dont believe u otherwise here unless u have some proffessional expertise) and i can assure you your fish will get very sick if you put all three in that 5 gallon.' "so what should i do?" says the customer, "buy a bigger tank" i said. and she looks into the air again like she is having an epiphany and finally goes " ooh okay i will come back soon and get a bigger tank! thank you so much!" and walks out of the store. the sales lady gives me the most dirty look in the world and takes my dechlorinator to the tank, slams it on the counter, slams the change on the counter and gives it to me and just stares. no thank you or anything. ah. i feel good.

Hey - she should not complain. She may sell a bigger tank - a much bigger sale than a fish. Plus a new filter, chemicals to support it, etc.....

:rolleyes:

my thoughts exactly! i guess she didnt share the same opinion! lol

Good for you!! Takes a lot of courage to inform people sometimes.. :)

Good for you to say something. :rockon These sales people make me mad. Anything for a buck, I guess.

Good for you Stacy . I am proud of you. Way to go. Hopefully the lady listened and will be back to get a bigger tank. The sales lady was just jealous because you knew what you were talking about and she knew you did and that she did not .

I think many of us have encountered those situations before, it can be hard to speak up sometimes but it is a great thing you did. You gave that customer enough information to make her own informed decisions, so well done you! :D

Stacyy ---> :SmackBottom: <--- Sales Lady

All I have to say is, she got owned.

:teehee YAY! Another Fish Saved!

hehe thanks. i wish people would do more to inform themselves though about a living thing they decide to own

I'd feel really good too. You save a fish :rolleyes:

Right on Stacyy!

I talked to a lady the other day who wsa thinking of buying a shubunkin for her 20 gallon that already had 3 fish in it, and I actually talked her out of it. I felt good about that too, but I didn't have to stand up to any employees to do it. You go girl! :lol:

Edited by jen626

Guest patchthefantail

This is what I found on a different wedsite. Just to backup what everbody says here. NOT THAT I'M THINKING YALL ARE LIARS.. Just to let everybody know that it's true.

Housing

It is a common practice to keep goldfish in a small bowl though this is cruel for the fish, as it allows waste in the water to build-up to toxic level and does not provide enough oxygen. They should be kept in a fairly large aquarium with a good filter. It can be furnished with gravel, rocks and plants (being plastic or alive).

A general rule of thumb is 10 gal of water per fish. Some fish keepers think this is a ridiculous generousity to the fish and choose to go for 5 gal per fish.

You've got guts Staccy, good on you!. :hi5

hehe thanks. i told my mom about it and she said nobody cares anymore, and they assume the employee knows. they walk into a store and just dont want to think, and just buy what the employee tells them. i look around at all the goldfish bowls they sell and its horrible. not to mention how they keep about 20 beautiful bettas in small PLASTIC cups. tiny. and all their fins are frayed. im thinking of saving one and putting him in a small aquarium on my desk or something. lol im so adamant and emotional about these things

:lol1 You did great! That was a great story. I'm really glad you did that. The poor fishy would have died :cry1 . You really did great!

Guest doc.

way to stand up for the fish! but shouldent she be thanking you for another sale? i mean, the stupid lady is just gonna come back and buy a bigger tank and goldfish! well i guess thats just sailspeoples :rolleyes:

I agree with daryl ...good job stacyy...we all got to stand up for out little friends, not pets.... :D

Good for you, i work in an aquatics centre, i hear and see this thing every day, some of the customers think your haveing a laugh though lol.

I even got threatened with the sack, because i wasnt selling the fish to the customers. i told my boss.. sack me if u wish, it isnt the job i care about it is the fish and i refuse to sell a fish to a person who knows nothing or who just wants more for an already overstocked aquarium..

to say the least. he wasnt impressed. but hey he couldnt sack me lol im the fish expert there and noone has a clue about the fish compared to me lol 20 years experiance in the fish business so my experiance speaks for its self :P

when i got to this new store. the reputation was about 0 and the customer service was a 0 also. full of complaints every day due to staff not being able to provide the correct information to the customers. or just trying to make the sale.

Now being there for a few months. i have customers comeing from 50+ miles away asking for me by name due to my customer service and advice.

If there is anyone in wales neer crosshands. pop into " Leeks" there where you will find me :)

happy fish keeping :)

Edited by Drayco