puggirl

Whats Your Oldest Fish And Breed?

125 posts in this topic

Right now, my oldest fish is a calico ranchu that I got from a seller in FL about 4 years ago, and a red/white oranda from Pet*supermarket, and a lady had brought him in because he had outgrown her tank. He was originally a red cap, but has changed and gotten more red over time. I bought him a day before the SoFl show in 2004.

Sunrise got him in the spring of 2006. So I have had him at least 2 years. So he is at least that old. He is 10 inches long and a fantail.

Image7-1.jpg

I might can get a better date on him if I looked up when I posted I got him on here somewhere. lol And I found the post I got him in June of 2006 and he was about 3 inches back then.

Edited by Hidr

A Ryukin I bought from nnnn 5 years ago.

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

My oldest is a white commet whom is 10 months old and aprox. 7 inches

Guest pipsxlch

My current oldest is Snotface, whom I got 3 1/2 years ago at less than 1" from a mass retailer.

100_2234-1-1.jpg

(old pic) He's about 5" + without the tail currently. He's never shown signs of sex yet, I just call 'him' 'he'.

The oldest (or at least longest with me) that I've had was a bubble eye named Bubba for 18 years. Guess he did well for a bubble eye! Lived a good chunk of that time in a tank kept at discus conditions, and with discus. Never seemed to bother him, and he just upped and died one day. Other than having slowed down, he never seemed ill.

Guest Kalei's Chubby

My oldest fish would be my Assorted Lionhead named Chubby. I don't know how old he is really but if I have to guess I would say probably about 2 or 3 maybe. I bought him about a year and half ago.

2h49qq0.jpg

My two oldest fish were 16 and 17 years old. (Stumpy & Sneaky). They were pond fish and were sadly taken by a heron in the summer of 2007 :cry1

I restocked the pond within a few weeks after that , so these fish are about two years old.

BTW, I have installed anti-heron fencing. It was a hard lesson to learn.

My oldest would be my chocolate oranda, Gilbert. I bought Gilbert 2 years ago from the lfs, where he'd been surrendered by a woman who was moving and taking down her tank. She told the store he was 2 1/2 years old and had been kept in a 50 gallon. At the time I got him, Gilbert was about 2" long without his tail, and already had breeding stars. Now he's about 3 1/2" long without his tail (about 7 or 8 inches with tail).

Next oldest would be Nemo. I bought her (pretty sure it's a "she") from petcetera when she was about 2" long including her tail. She was my first goldie :) She's now almost 3" long without her tail, about 5" with tail.

My pearlscale, "Baloo", is probably 3 years old. I bought him 2 years ago, and he was only 1" long with his tail - just TINY! He's now almost 2" long without his little stubby tail, and just got his first breeding stars this winter (little guy is growing up!).

These guys are housed in a 28g bowfront tank with 350gph filtration (just mechanical and bio, no carbon). Gravel bottom, live plants (anubias, vals, java fern, and a sword), and a handful of MTS. Water is about 70 degrees and I run an airstone. I used to change the water weekly, but since adding all the plants only do it monthly (water always tests with everything at zero, and even when I clean the gravel, it comes up fairly clean! gotta love planted tanks!).

Here's my fav pic of Gilbert

gilbert.jpg

My oldest would be Nemo, a common goldfish. He has lived with me for 2 and a half years now... :P

Near, my white fantail. I've had him for almost exactly a year now. In one months time it will be the one year mark for my oranda and ranchu ^_^

Guest Piffle

My oldest fish was murtle she was a comet and she lived to be 9 years old before we lost her. she was in a reasonable sized tank with small gravel and shells on the bottom, live plants, and 1 other goldfish, she grew to a resonable size and we just fed her black and gold brand fish flakes!

Oh yer and when i first got her, she was fine the whole hour drive home and then coming up the driveway her bag fell over and burst so she was flopping about on the car floor for a bit poor thing, it didnt affect her though she grew up big and strong!

Edited by Piffle

Sometimes the fish that go through the most trama have a way of living the longest. My Coco is that way. I've had him almost a year next month and he's been through so much. He was basically a test fish now that I think back on it. I was always treating him for something because I thought he was sick, when it turned out he probably didn't need all that medication after all. But that's how I learned. He was probably a good year or so when I got him seeing as he was pretty big. I'm thinking he's probably about 2 and a half or maybe 3 now.

He's and oranda. He was chocolate when I got him, now he's turning a pretty shade of gold.

I have little knowledge of Goldfish. I went to a school fair when I was 8 yrs old. I won a goldfish in a clear bag for tossing a ring onto a bottle top. I went with my Dad to the fair. My Dad who had a huge aquarium when I was a baby and in my early years. It was a huge massive saltwater tank. Had Seahorses, and Angel fish, lots of fish and huge natural shells, coral, reefs, etc... I always thought it was better than TV. I could park myself in front of it and watch for hours.

So when I won this Goldfish he was all excited. We went from the fair to the pet supply. He got everything a goldy would need. We got home and he showed me how to and what to do. I put the Goldy in the glass bowl with blue green gravel and a tiny little silk plant. He asked me what are you going to name the goldfish? I said Ben. I named him Ben. I kept Ben as if he was my golden glory. My Dad taught me how to take care of him. He taught me how to clean his bowl and how to feed him. Ben lived for 7 years. In the same bowl, no filters, no bubbles ..

When Ben passed away I was devastated. My Dad and I put Ben in a box and buried him in the backyard. We gave him a proper burial. I was in High School when Ben passed.

Then years later I received Cheezit my next Finned baby, who was again a Goldfish. I kept Cheezit in a Tank with all the right stuff "equipment" and I had Cheezit for 6 yrs. He/she was the sweetest little goldy. He/she reminded me of the Goldfish from Pinocchio. He/She was so Adorable with faces. Was such a personality like Cleo. My Kitten at that time was so involved with Cheezit. I had Cheezit first. My Kitten * who is now 10 yrs old. Would sit on the counter and tap his front paw at the glass.. Which then Cheezit would swim up to the top of the tank ..And they would Kiss. TT my Kitty would just put his lips into the water and Cheezit would nibble on his face. And my Kitten would just PURRRRRR ... looking back at me .. The Fish loves me. My Kitten never put his paws in the water. Not once. Cheezit passed away after a short snap illness which I didn't even see coming. It was heartbreaking. It happened overnight.

Then I received Harley in 99 or 00 I can't recall. He was two inches long + or so with fins -Him and another Goldy Eva. Eva didn't last very long. I was so sad that she passed away. I have Harley now still 2010 and he is on posts as of today on the site. He's my Mighty Mighty Goldy. He too has a personality. His nickname is HoHo.

I don't know the firsts about testing supplies or water testing or the tech part of having a Goldy - I just know what my Father taught me. My Dad passed away June of 09.

I guess my Dad taught me well or I just have very good luck with my Finned Babies. In my 43 yrs - I have had 24 yrs with Goldfish so far .... I am not done yet. Harley as my friends say .. Is the fish that will never die. Not on my Watch.. not if I can help it. God Bless the Goldfish :) And all the Finned Parents who keep them.

harleysangel-2.jpg

I'm guessing my Ranchu is over a year. He's about 4 inches long.

I got my goldfish Marley on April 6, 2009. So almost a year! I hope I have him for many many years.

Guest tdvs72198

My oldest fish is my Comet goldfish...He is a little over 2 and had a huge growth spurt this year. He is right at 11 inchec long.He stays in the inside aquarium as I also have a 1400 gallon pond outside.

My oldest was a 25 cent I THOUGHT black moor from nnnnnn when I was a kid, when he died 9 years later in a 90 gallon tank he was so big I couldnt pick him up and 3 different colors with almost like catfish whiskers coming off of his fins! I wish I had a pic his name was mookie =/ he got be addicted!

When i was a little boy my mum had a red common goldfish for 7 years then we won another fish form a carnival and put it in with the 7 year old goldfish and it was dead the next day.i dont count this fish as mine since my mum done all the work.

had another fish my self was a goldfish cant remember what time it lived for a couple of years though.

anyway to the now i have a red comment Goldfish name Ronnie who will be 3 years old on the 25th July 2010 he had a mate when i got him back in July 2007 but sadly his mate reggie passed away 6 months later in Febuart 2008.

Most of mine that I purchased originally are from 1 to 1 1/2 years old. Taking a guess I think that my two largest Rain Garden fish are around two years old. ;)

Guest Halloween

I've had my female Lionhead Kurt for just over 4 years (12/10) but she's probably around 5 years old. Also have had my single pond fish for about the same amount of time, maybe a year longer.

wow thats long time some off you

i hope i can be as sucessful with my fish x

here is my oldest fish who is i really consider my first fish that ive ever really taken care of myself.

i originally named him kiko but i mostly just call him big dumb fish becuase of all the dumb situations he gets himself into. i sure do love this little guy and hope he lives a a good long time.

he is coming up to 3 years old in january jsut counting the day i got him he was given to me by a neighbor who was keeping him another goldfish and two catfish in a bowl and didnt clean the water she was going to toss them all out since they "stunk" so i kept them all in a 20 gallon tank. everyone else died except him he was one of the 1.98 fancy goldfish he was only about the size of a gumball when i got him.

Picture113.jpg

im sure he is much too small for his age but hopefully now that he will be living in an 80 gallon with just 3 other fish he will do better he certianly is a hardy little thing

The oldest Goldfish I had were both 12yrs old.

I got them from a fair ground as tiny teeny babies When I was young.

They lived the 1st fare few years of their lives in a generic plastic bowl.

You can still to this day buy them now :(

Bit of gravel, no filter or pump, daily 100% cleaning out.

Until When I got my 3ft tank when I was about 18 they came and lived with me again (moved out when I was 16)

They had the tank, a couple of inches of gravel and some ornaments/plants. I used an External Filter for that tank and an air pump.

They both caught an internal infection which I just couldn't get hold of and to be honest I wasn't as experienced and knowledgeable then, and they both died with in months of each other.

The oldest Goldfish I had were both 12yrs old.

I got them from a fair ground as tiny teeny babies When I was young.

They lived the 1st fare few years of their lives in a generic plastic bowl.

You can still to this day buy them now :(

Bit of gravel, no filter or pump, daily 100% cleaning out.

Until When I got my 3ft tank when I was about 18 they came and lived with me again (moved out when I was 16)

They had the tank, a couple of inches of gravel and some ornaments/plants. I used an External Filter for that tank and an air pump.

They both caught an internal infection which I just couldn't get hold of and to be honest I wasn't as experienced and knowledgeable then, and they both died with in months of each other.

Ok so dont know if its just because its late and I'm tired, LoL, but cant see an edit post button......

They were both Common Goldfish btw, LoL

My oldest is Fern the common. I got him as a little feeder fish in October of 2006, so he is now over 4 yrs old. He survived my learning years and he has the scars to prove it - he is very much stunted but we love him just the same. :)

tout107.jpg