puggirl

Whats Your Oldest Fish And Breed?

125 posts in this topic

just wondering what is your oldest fish and there breed? have they always be healthy?? and how do you house them, what type of tank with gravel?? barebottom ect. do you have live or fake plants, with how many other fish, how many males and females?? also what do you feed?? and how big is the tank,

just interested to know. as i will be adding more plants to my tank soon, and i have bare bottom, and have changed some filters on my tank, i mainly have males and i know definatley 1 have two girles but only one spawns often, the other once did but she doesnt fancy any other boys after her mate died. i have 10 fish in a 179 gallon.

keen to hear your answers. :):)

Edited by puggirl

hmmm...well.

my oldest WAS...

Bob. he was 7. and died because of a power failure while i was away =[

but..he was a common "feeder" fish.

hmm..he..used to live in a fishbowl before i found this wonderful site..

but then he was in a 10 gal..with large gravel on the bottom

and an aquaclear mini filter.

i miss bob.

but now i have george. hes about a year. red oranada..i think? hmm. but yeah. hes living in the sam conditions.

my other fishies are younger. :)

disaster999 nice moor!!!!! looks like he has a veiltail cross in him/her

goergous finiage! :) love your fish!!!

my oldest was a blackmore I had for 9 years, as a kid to teenager.

curently my oldest is Dalamar, a moor, dont know his size I am now guessing a good 8 inch, I had him 10months and 20 days to be precise. I got him as an adult with breeding stars so he was at least 3 yrs old then,

Untill today he has been in a 10 gal alone then I added a apple snail for company, he has outgrown the 10 gal so I moved him today. You can see that soon as I am about to post his move and pics in the photo section :)

his tank had minimal gravel, really shallow, one fake plate and a bunch of live Elodia (sp?) I feed him wardly sinking pellets as he kinda blind, so he cant see the food, this way he gravel vacs and sucks up the food, sometimes he gets the snails algea wafer too! LOL he is a pig!

I have had problems with his ph level and I waterchange every 4 days to compensate, he has over doubled his size sinse I got him :) hense I moved him to 40 Gal today.

His tank filters 20X recomended :) but with the addition of a snail even this is not good enough!That is why I have decided to move him. I hope he will love the new space.

Guest kaylesthenutter

my oldest fish at the moment is gump (inappropriately named as he's a she, lol) shes about 8-9 month old. i think. how old are fish when pet shops get them?? or is that a silly question? and bubba (also inappropriately named as he's a she too) is about 6-7 month i'd say as she's starting to lose her black in her.....she's changing color...yay. They are in a 20 gallon tank at the moment with roman gravel, 4 natural fern plants and a submarine, a no fishing sign, and a diver, bubblestone with airline tubing, and a filter. my plants are not living plants they are made to look like natural fern, but i'm looking into getting some real plants.

Edited by kaylesthenutter

well i'm not sure how old my first fish is as he was about 2.5 inches when i got him, but he was only a juvanile, as he has matured into a big man. in sep this year i've owned him for 3 years, that is my ranchu oscar, then i have my celestial that i got when he or she was only a baby a tiny 1.5 inches and now is a huge 5 to 6 inches long, they will be 3 years old in sep again, then i have lucy, the one in the signature she is 3 years old in oct, and then the other three fish i got given to me are about 2 years old, and my pearlscale is about 1 year old, and my new lionhead is only about 2 months old. and my orange oranda i dont know how old this one is, but i have owned him for about 1.5 years. i'd say he isnt more then 2 years old, as he has really blossomed in the last 6 months, into a handsom man, with his lovely tail.

:) Well, lets see here. My first two fish, orange orandas, have been with me for about two years now. I'm not sure of their age when I got them. I got them both on the same day and they were about 2 in long. After loosing black markings on their orange, I chose them for the black markings because they were so unusual looking, and both growing nice wens, they are both about 7 1/2 - 8 in long. :heart

Both have been super healthy and have gone from a 20 gal tank, to a 55 gal and are now in an 80 gal tank.

One of them has a much bigger wen and fat cheeks that make the wen look attached giving a sideburns appearence. The other one's wen is more mohawk looking giving a combed back appearence and this one has a huge, long flowing tail. I think she prides herself on her tail.

My oldest fish is Rocky - a "mostly" Ranchu. He was part of a group of fish that were bred as an intermediary between the long tailed ranchu (Shukin) and the short. He has a neat "brocaded" color that has always stayed - each black scale is outlined in red. He is about 7 years old.

I have one other fish - Goggles - a telescope fish that may be around 7-8 years old. I got him about 6 1/2 years ago. He looked soooo much like a little fish I had when I was younger that I could not pass him up. He is red with a white head. He was an adult when I got him - about 5 inches with breeding stars.........

Here is Rocky (in the foreground showing off his tooth, and Bear, in the background.....

Edit: I forgot to tell you how he has been kept. Rocky has lived most of his life in a 55 gallon tank, bare bottomed, shared with various other fish. He eats a variety of foods - gel, fresh veggies, ProGold and Hikari. He has been loaned out for breeding a number of times - the last time rather disastrously. He was apparently "reloaded" and placed in a pond that was not clean. He came home with some "crud" that has defied identification and eradication. For the time being, Rocky is in a 30 gallon bare bottomed tank on his own. Recently, he has been having daily PP baths, Prazi treatments and injections and has not had an outbreak in over 6 weeks (fingers crossed). I am hoping that I will be able to cure Rocky once and for all!

post-27-1151068798_thumb.jpg

Edited by koko

My oldest fish was a blue telescope (shame on me, I haven't even named the girl! :rolleyes: ), which I got as a tiny little thing from Petsupermarket. I had her for about 7 years, and she died a few months ago.

From a normal looking telescope when she was little, her eyes developed HUGE over the years, and when I brought her to a show once, the judge was amazed on how big her eyes were. That was also the time I found out she was a girl - she laid eggs all over the show tank. :lol:

She was in a barebottom 160 gl tank with 4 other, smaller, telescopes, and two dojos. Nothing but a few terracotta pots, silk plants, and river rocks in the tank, so the tellies won't hurt their delicate eyes. She was a big baby with about 7 inches plus tail.

I fed her all kinds of foods, but nothing that floats around a lot, since the telescopes can't see that very well. Everything they got just sank to the bottom. It was mostly HIkari lionhead food and gel food. Occassionally I used a feeder container to feed them frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms.For that they know they have to look in the feeder for their food, and it isn't all over the tank.

In her last final weeks, the blue baby's eyes got even bigger, and liquid filled. I was worried they might pop or get damaged. Finally her body just gave in, and she was dead the next morning.

The funny thing I remember when I bought her: I always carry a small cooler with me with some ice chips in them, just in case I find a nice fish, and have to bring it home in hot Florida weather. Before I put a fish in its bag into the cooler, I always dump out the ice first. Except, for this girl I had forgotten, and put the bag on top of the ice. When I got home, the water in the bag was VERY cold, and the fish wasn't moving at all. It took about 30 minutes in the bag for the water to get warm again once I got home, and all of a sudden the fish came to life. Scared me big time right there!! :rolleyes:

post-6-1151074000_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ranchugirl

My oldest fish was Nacho a common goldfish she was 3 years old when she died.Followed by Blue and Zeb who were both one. they were sarasa comets.

My remaining living fish are:

Weather Loach 7 months old

Hong Kong Plec 5 months old

Black Moor 2 months old

Orange Oranda 1 month old

I have a smooth gravel tank.False plants.Fish are all male apart from the plec don't know its sex as its like a flat fish.I feed King British Goldfish flakes and also Bloodworm and peas.Its a 30g tank.2 Fluval filters a 3plus and a 2plus.Bubblewall and airstone.Ornaments for my fish to hide in.

My remaining fish except for my Oranda have been disease free.

I've got four 5 year old commons, a 4 year old comet and another younger common/comet. They all live in a pond that was 100 gallons but we made it bigger this spring, now is around 350 gallons. In the past they've lived in a 29 gallon tank in the winter, but this winter we got them a 55 gallons tank. But now that the pond is bigger and deeper they'll be wintering in there.

I've never had any health problems with these particular fish, my fancies are another story. ;)

I have Sketti, hes is approximately 3 years old and he is a Male Black Moor.

I had some major problems with him when I first got him such as fin rot and now his growth is stunted because I kept him in a 1 gallon bowl. He is now in a 20 gallon tank with Frida who is barely a year. Since the move I have had no health problems with him that I can see. The tank has River Rocks on the bottom that are just a little bit smaller then he is. I used to have the tiny little gravel that they could pick up but Frida is a Porker and would constantly be trying to eat them, so I took them out. I have some fake and some live plants in there, the ratio is about even 3 fake and 3 live. I feed them Wardleys Goldfish Slow Sinking Crumbles, I soak them first before I put them in, I also feed them Peas, Krill, Brine Shrimp, Romain Lettuce, I tried Broccoli but they don't like it. Once I was eating popcorn (by tossing it into the air and catching it with my mouth) and missed, it landed in the tank and Frida just started gobbling. I took it out but she got a nice hunk of it :lol: Im just glad I don't eat salted or buttered popcorn.

Disaster999 Your Moor is BEAUTIFUL! Im in love :heart

Blackie, my one and only moore. i've had him for 3 years. he's inside a 20 gallon tank. actually started off in a 1 gallon bowl (oops, newb mistake!). he was in the bowl for about a month, moved to a 10 gallon and then 20. he used to have a companion, but i had to give him away due to personality differences. he's now living w/ erin!

haven't found a companion for Blackie that i think will be suitable...so he's by his lonesome in a 20gal. i have river rocks at the bottom w/ live plants floating about. he was slightly bigger than 1" when i got him. he's 6.5" now tip to tail.

blackie%20look.jpg

And I love Chester!!! Did you know he's actually a SHE? I realized that not long ago. Do you know how old she is at all?

I have had 2 of my goldfish for 4 yrs, so I figure they are almost 5 yrs old. I bought a pom pom oramda and I think he is about the same age making sure he was about the same size as the other 2 goldfish I had at the time. He might be a little older than the others but not sure.

a girl?! lol. i just assumed chester was a guy for some reason. well...she's quite an hyper lil' diva. :D i think she's about 2.25 years out of the pet store. she was about 2" when i got her from the pet shop. this store gets new shipments consistently...so maybe max 3 years old?

My current oldest is Meeko, a shubunkin I got as a tiny baby back in 2002. I assume he was about 6 months old when I got him. He's the 4th picture from the left in my signature. He has lived in a barebottom 100 gallon for 3 years now.

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend

My oldest is steven, he was nine years old when I got him, hes still quite shy though, and Ive only had him a few days

Hes a common comet type I believe. . . Well actualy I dont really know what he is other than pretty.

Edited by FinnyFinnedFriend

So far, my common feeder goldfish have lived about 4 years

and geez, they have grown so much!

daryl...Rocky is georgous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you have taken such great care of him, Im so sorry he got "reloaned" out and has been ill. You must be so upset about that!

I hope he is gonna be ok as he is a beautie! :heart

Ranchugirl- your blue telle was a beautiful showgirl indeed. Shame on you yes! for not naming her :heart

(Never too late)

Its interesting that apart from commons which always seem hardy, moors are coming up as longest keepers for many folk. Mine too. Here's my black moor Flapper that I've had for 2 and half years when I began this trick.Flapper.jpg I call her Flapper because she is a big fusser about everything. I swear she fusses around near the front telling me to do a water change, she flaps in one spot while I do the water change and then she dances in the bubbles when I've done a water change. :rolleyes:

My oldest breed and goldfish is now 8 years old this year...... Pharoh. my Choco Oranda.....

he lives in a 45 gal tank with his 2 girlfriends, 2 350 pengiun filters and one power head. There isnt any gravel in th etank and it has 4 dojos and 2 bristles in there. Loads of Anibias for him to swim through......

hes now 8" long and keeps growing :D

post-1-1151260199_thumb.jpg

post-1-1151260256_thumb.jpg

Pharoah is such a handsum stud koko :) ! Is that him in your siggy when he was smaller?

I hope I can keep my fishies 8 years...and get them 8 inches!

Guest pixiemoon

I got a comet from funfair aged 8 and had him for 8 years,also another friend i put in there with him lasted 6 years..it wouldve been a lot longer had i known about filters and the tank sizes-altho i did lots of water changes.im really only into fancy japanese type goldies now-ryukins and moors,i hope i keep them for as long as possible♥

Pharoah is such a handsum stud koko :) ! Is that him in your siggy when he was smaller?

I hope I can keep my fishies 8 years...and get them 8 inches!

thats him hun but thats just a photo that about a year old and just croped down,