Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fishieperson321

Albino Cory Catfish

:) This has been gone over many times of course.In general,I say no to keeping Cories and Goldies together for two reasons/

a) If your Goldies are bigger,they could possibly try eating one and have major probs in doing so,and b) alot of Meds do not sit well with Cories and therefore alot of times when people need to treat their tank,they're at a loss at what to do with the Cory's while they treat it.Even dosing tank with salt has to be done very carefully,because Catfish can be quite sensitive to salt.

c)if the tank's not big enough,the Cories also tend to hide-especially when the Goldies are bigger ones.

I have to be honest and say that I do have one tank that houses both.The Cories are actually older than the three Goldfish that are in there,but the Goldfish were given to me when they were 2-3 months old and still almost fry size.They've grown up with the Cories from the beginning,and have never once bothered them. I have to add that they eat all/most of my Cory eggs when they are laid,although somehow 3 babies managed to not get eaten. :lol:

The biggest Goldfish in that tank is well over 9 inches now.

I'm not saying it's not possible to keep these fish together,but I am saying to consider all options before doing so. :)

Thanks for the info. I really didn't know and I was anxious to find out. I really like both cories and goldies. I think that goldies are farrrrr prettier.

Hi guys, Just to let you know I have one cory (abt. 1 1/2 in.) in with one Ryukin (abt. 3 in.) in a 35 gal and they get along great -- no nipping or bullying at all. The Cory mostly hides out in the day time, like cories do... I'm going to get another Ryukin and 2 more cories next week... keep u updated on THAT situation. If I ever have to treat the big tank, the cory goes into a hospital tank for a few weeks, luckily this has only happend once...

Oh, and about two years ago my goldies ATE my OTO -- so I advise against that pairing. I guess it was b/c the Oto was so much smaller... poor guy. He was never able to get food anyways so he was weak and scrawny.

Edited by KelzosWifey

I just want to share my story from my friend's house. His ranchu ate the little cory and .. :( . We managed to take the cory out.

IMAGE_033.jpg

While I am trying to take it out

IMAGE_034.jpg

I had some cory cats in my goldfish tank years ago and the lived for five years, no problem...I would however suggest that you give them their hone house or safe haven they can go to when they dont want to be bothered by the goldies. Many time thought, my cory cats loved to swin along with my goldies..I had fantails and moors at the time...hope that helps

I just want to add that Cories are schooling type fish and feel much happier and safer being in at least groups of three or more,preferably with their own type.A single Cory will often hide when it doesn't feel safe or comfortable. I have owned tons of Cories all of my life,and they are quite active fish,and if they're not,then there's something going on whether it be water quality/loneliness,etc.

I almost lost a goldie baby of mine last year,when Won was a few months old- as he not once,but twice,got a cory stuck in it's mouth.It wasn't very pretty,as the Corie's scales can rip the whole insides of their mouth apart.

I managed to save Won,but ever since,I noticed some health issues with him. I don't know if it was injuries sustained during the release of the cory,or what, :unsure:

I still advise not keeping Cories and Goldfish together though.I just always feel "better safe then sorry" :)

Guest Angel

I had thought about trying this. Thanks for the tip Devs, now I know not to do it. I didn't think about the fact that eventually the goldfish will be big enough to try to feast on the cory... :blink:

When my baby Oranda got one stuck,these cories were in between juvi and adult size,and I actually thought that the goldie was still too small to have any problems.The thing was that I had alot of cories,and they loved swimming in groups up and down the glass.I think Wonton just opened his mouth at the wrong place and the wrong time. :yikes I don't think that technically, he was actually trying to eat the cory.Goldies are just so quick to react to movement ,and they just automatically seem to open their mouth,swallow,and then wonder just what it was that they ate,if you know what I mean. :krazy:

After a few weeks of wondering about internal damage,bacterial infection setting in,etc.,it was definitely enough to really see what the final outcome could have been. I won't keep any other goldfish with any new cories.

Sad news: ranchu in the picture died yesterday. I am not sure how did it happen since my friend doesn't want to talk about his fish at this time. But I am pretty sure, it is the effect of swallowing cory. :(

Guest Kristina

sorry to hear that about the ranchu...

I actually find that Albino Cory Cats are the weakest type, so out of fear of making your goldies sick would I avoid putting an albino in the tank. Of course I sure several experiences with gold fish getting cories stuck in their mouths speak for them selves.

wht about weather loach? they are chubby and cute ehehhe

I had some cory cats in my goldfish tank years ago and the lived for five years, no problem...I would however suggest that you give them their hone house or safe haven they can go to when they dont want to be bothered by the goldies. Many time thought, my cory cats loved to swin along with my goldies..I had fantails and moors at the time...hope that helps

agreed, the cats do need their own refuge in the tank to get away from the tank world. I always had a barrel. plant corner and ornaments they could swim through. most times the enjoys swimming with my orandas and fantails. I love having albino cory cats with my goldfish