Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blinky000

Female Ready To Burst

I need some help with my female ryukin. I've had her about a year now and shes at least 3-4 times the size i got her and is around 5" now. The boys have always paid her attention, moreso recently, and her midriff is considerably larger than it was. The boys in my tank (of which there are a good few!) seem to be chasing her relentlesly the past week and she still refuses to lay any eggs. I'm getting a little concerned about it now because I don't want any problems arising from her not laying her eggs like impaction or anything. I'm not sure if it's just a not wanting to lay eggs or that she physically can't do it. She's in a Rio 400 with one other female, who isn't in the breeding mood at the moment, and another 8 males (a little out-numbered, i know). Any ideas that could get her to let go of her eggs?

Maybe the problem is too many males, which wouldnt really happen in a pond i think.

Do any of the males have stars to show that they are ready to breed?

Thinking of other things to try... maybe raising the water temp a bit or sometimes a cool water change might help late at night? Plenty of plants for her to go into?

Im sure these are all things you already know though :)

Maybe a gentle massage around her tummy a la artificial spawning? :)

One of the best ways to get a female to drop her eggs involves a bit of work. Since she is in such a big pond it may be difficult - but you could pull her out to a smaller tank, if you wished.

I have been shown this method:

Look to the weather. You want a storm front or anything that involves a low air pressure front in the next 4-5 days.

Start changing water out about 4-5 days before the storm. Change out about 50% of the water every day.

On the last day, preferably as the air pressure is dropping, change out the water, but make the last bucket of water fairly cold. Do not pour it on the fish or in the filter or anything, but make it so she will definately feel a rush of cool water over her. I usually pour it in the opposite end of the tank from the fish and is swishes through the tank to her.

She should drop her eggs within 2-3 days - usually at dawn.

I have used this last storm we had to do this for my big oranda. She dumped eggs everywhere this morning at about 5:30 am. The boys in the tank made a BIG mess. <_< Now I have to clean it all up.

Messy boys.

Messy eggs.

;)

good luck with that....keep us posted

thanks for the help everyone. she's still being chased every day until about 3pm when the boys eventually give up and her swim bladder seems to be playing up a bit now and she keeps being pushed along the tank upside down. not sure if that's something to do with the amount of eggs she's carrying. although it would be good if i could just hand spawn her now, i don't want to run the risk of rupturing her ovaries if she hasn't let a considerable amount go yet and i've had a very gentle squeeze and nothing seems to be happening.

sandy, shes got plenty of plants and all 9 of the males have breeding stars. actually discovered another one i thought was a young female was another adolecent male :rolleyes:

daryl, i'll give that method a go once i have a smaller tank free. got 6 commons and comets i rescued from a fair yesterday in the only spare i had at the moment. as soon as they're all sorted i'll tell you how it goes. how many males do you think i should have in the separate tank with her? i have 2 males in particular that seem to want her babies ;)

ooh, the fair ground rescue... that was an exciting afternoon. My first public shouting match :lol:

ill have to pick mine up as soon as i can get over there... hows polly doing hun? has she dropped any yet?

shes still getting harrassed every day. no eggs yet though. give her 6 weeks and im sure we'll have eggs. 4 weeks for the lucky rescue fish to be all sorted and another couple to condition her and wait for the eggs to roll in! think i'm gonna put guinness and asbo in with her. they seem to be the most desperate and the babies are gonna look awesome. plus that'll make me a great grandmother! :krazy:

hmm.. guinness & polly would make some lovely babies :)

and asbo and polly would just be odd :lol:

for those who dont know, asbo is one of guinness' and blaze's baby (a gold pearlscale/moor). hes a strange looking one. ill post pics up so you guys can pick the daddies :D

haha! we've got into selective breeding have we? :lol:

i vote guinness for daddy :)

warning! picture overload!

heres polly ie mum-to-be:

DSCF0038.jpg

polly.jpg

polly1.jpg

a possible mum and dad combo, polly and guinness:

DSCF0090.jpg

can you feel the love in this picture! :lol: :

DSCF0087.jpg

'please mum, no more pictures'

DSCF0051.jpg

and this is asbo (aptly named). hes the baby of guinness and blaze, my late pearlscale. lord knows where he got his colouring from though. i was a bit disappointed at these pics actually. none of them really show off his tail. it is glorious.

asbo.jpg

asbo3.jpg

apologies for the varying sizes of the pics. photobucket tells me theyre smaller than they appear there and if i resize them anymore theyre gonna turn out the size of a postage stamp :hmm

Edited by blinky000

was just browsing you photobucket account and saw these, was wondering when they were going to make an appearance... youre right about ASBO's tail, it really doesnt show it off... hes got a lovely tail..

i still vote guiness, what i dont understand though is why ASBO is only a single tail, when both his rents were double tails :blink: