Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jamoko

Jamoko's Pond Building

Wow it looks fabulous!!! I love the sharp lines. Looks neat and clean! Looking forward to more pictures! :thumb:

Guest jamoko

thankyou glitterfish! i can't wait for the plants to grow a bit now so soften the look a bit and give the fish somewhere to hide :peeka

Nice going, Jamoko - very beautiful looking pond you got there! Its always such an excitement to watch somebody else's pond project. Your fish will be so happy in there! :happydance

Guest jamoko

Thankyou! i can't wait to release my huge comet out there...the pond is 8 times the size of his tank so i can't wait to see him getting to have a big swim :rofl

Guest jamoko

Thankyou Tanya, yes i'm very pleased with it, it's coming along well... going to post a few more pics shortly!

Guest jamoko

well i've started to tidy up a bit around the pond! i've got a couple of grasses round the filter to try to blend the filter into the garden and the wiring has been buried under the slate. i ended up returning the pond lights, they were a pain to position as the kept floating up even after being weighted down and they didn't look that great lit up so i decided just to get my money back! My skimmer was a bit to floaty and kept rishing up and that stopped it working, but i've finally got it sussed by putting it to the lowest height setting and putting the "float" on whilst underwater to stop it getting any trapped air in it, then i raised it up again and hey presto it hasn't floated up since!

Still a few more ground plants to go in

pond55.jpg

the skimmer...this will be a blessing with the amount of trees we have behind our house!

pond56.jpg

Getting there...you can't see but the plants are progressing well!

pond57.jpg

I infused the pond today with as much sludge and "dirty" water as i could get from my tank...with my juwel filter being built in i couldn't backwash it like koivet suggested for cycling the pond, so fingers crossed this will work, cycling it in a short space of time! :please

Guest jamoko

so after seeing all the koi today i got two shubunkins, one japanese/american shubunkin and a bristol shubinkin, for some reason i wanted the ones that hadn't much red on them (i think i was going for the black and white koi effect, even though their markings are much different). Here's some pics of them and my two canary yellow goldfish (which don't look yellow in the bad light...but they are :idont ) no names yet... still working on them....

newfish3.jpg

newfish2.jpg

newfish1.jpg

shubunkin1.jpg

yellowgoldfish.jpg

wow ur fish r gorgeous :heart

Guest jamoko

thanks kat! i'm hoping to get a good variety of colours to give the pond a bit of interest...3 weeks and counting until they (hopefully) can be released from quarantine :D

Your pond has come along nicely! One bit of advice, watch your skimmer. There is nothing wrong with that kind of skimmer they work great. I've heard though (rumors?) that they can pull the fish into them so you may just want to keep an eye on it.

Your fish are beautiful. I love shubunkins.

Scott

Guest jamoko

Cheers Scott! i'll be sure to keep a regular check on the skimmer...just incase!

Guest jamoko

finished all the landscaping and planting earlier this week

pond58.jpg

i'm battling green water at the moment so cycling has been slowed up a bit! roll on nitrate readings :D

That is coming along nicely and I love the fish!! I have several of the mostly blue shubies, too. I just love them!

I was going to ask about the skimmer as well. Is there a little basket it in to trap the debris? How often do you clean it? I've never seen a skimmer like that before, only the built in ones on the side. I was wondering too though if it can pull the fish into it. :(

:D Wow! The whole thing has really come together.Your fish are so pretty too. :lol:

I agree! Very nice.

Guest jamoko

Thanks Guys!

That is coming along nicely and I love the fish!! I have several of the mostly blue shubies, too. I just love them!

I was going to ask about the skimmer as well. Is there a little basket it in to trap the debris? How often do you clean it? I've never seen a skimmer like that before, only the built in ones on the side. I was wondering too though if it can pull the fish into it. :(

my skimmer is a Oase Pond Surface Skimmer (IP 350) the reason i bought it was to ensure it worked easily with my oase 4000 pump and it seems to be the only skimmer they produce, i was a bit horrified by the sheer size of it when it arrived! LOL! yes there is a seperate basket that sits inside the "float" that sits just 1mm below the water surface. I emptied the basket last night when i emptied the pond and there was a good amount in it. I guess emptying will depend on how many leaves fall from the trees behind, so in autumn i guess i'll never be done emptying it :exactly

as for it and the fish, scott said he'd heard of fish being pulled into them so i'll definitely keep an eye on it! although as the inlet is so close to the surface i can't see it being a problem as there isn't a massively strong pull around it, it's more of a gentle pull so the fish could easily swim away from it!

Guest jamoko

well it's been nearly a month since a pond thread update... in that time my fishless cycle failed as you will probably have read and my fish has an ulcer which is slowing up their release from quarantine.

so i spent today making a net frame for the pond which will be used while i'm out at work and during the night. It's in two sections for storage, and is made using a "build a ball" metal pole system and then i attached my clear net using clear cabel ties.

i'm thinking the bullrush is going to have to go as it's just not going to be practicle with taking the frame on and off...i have a friend who might want it for her pond. i'm hoping the frame will be secure enough just laid over the pond, i'm thinking even if it's windy the wind should hopefully just blow round it or through it as there's nothing to catch really! it's a pain having to have it as it takes away from the look of the pond but what can i do...don't want to risk my wee fishes lives!

netframe.jpg

netframe1.jpg

netframe2.jpg

water much clearer now that i've started using microbe lift pl & thera p on the pond!

pond64.jpg

pond65.jpg

is this algae? i didn't get anything like this in my aqarium. maybe the fish will eat it when they go in the pond!

algae.jpg

my two tub quarantine set-up.

quarantinetubs.jpg

three more fish for the pond, brown common - Fudge, shubunkin - Inca, comet -no name just yet!

fudgequarantine.jpg

Jude

Its looking great :D

That algae stuff i think is some sort of mozzie eggs?

Guest jamoko

thanks lucy!

don't think we get mossie's here in northern ireland?

That looks great! Those weird green things may be a type of larvae, although I'm not sure what kind of bugs you guys have up there. :)

I like the cover too. It doesn't detract too much from the pond and it looks secure. That's the kind of thing I wanted with ours but unfortunately the dog would have jumped on it or through it or just destroyed it. :rolleyes:

Guest jamoko

thanks jsrtist! yes, i'd imagine a cover would be difficult to manage with a dog...luckily the only dog i have in my garden in my sisters when it comes to visit...i don't exactly have a dog friendly garden what with all my low maintainence slate! LOL!

do you think the fish will eat what ever it is when they go in the pond? i was using my pond vac the other week to get leaves off the bottom and i got rid of a good amount of that stuff off the liner but it has come back again!

i must recommend a pond vacuum to everyone by the way...i just decided to splash out and invest in one as i figured it will make my weekly water changes a heck of a lot easier (it took sooooooooo long to drain the pond of the green water a few weeks ago) it also makes getting rid of leaves etc off the bottom pretty easy.

pondvac.jpg

i'll post some "action" pics next time i use it!

i'm also considering changing my skimmer already....it takes up a huge amount of room in my pond and my main grievance with it is that the "float" top section is difficult to keep underwater and because the pond is so deep i end up soaked every time i have to fix it which is a pain!!

so any recommendations on a new skimmer would be most welcome!

Guest jamoko

well it's taken a while but the first 5 fish are in the pond and they love it! i had this algae stuff all over the liner and within 24 hours the 5 fish had every pic of it eaten!!! they are like 5 vacuum cleaners :rofl

my big comet escapes from the 40gal....

release.jpg

3 of the new fish

release1.jpg

release2.jpg

somethings been nibbling on my water lilys (before fish went in)

release3.jpg

i'll try and get some clearer pics soon!

Jude

Guest tina1001

Your pond is beautiful, the style is so clean and simple. Your fish must love it out there.