Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lynn

Help

:o My daughter went out and played with her little pond. I have told her about moving the waterfall to the side, but she did it anyway. Now, there is only a little water in the bottem. How do I add new water with the temp of the old water so cold. :thud

Add it very slowly and make sure you use some type of water conditioner too take care of the chlorine/ chloramine. As long as the water is covering the fish you should be ok. Try not too raise the temp more than 5 degrees and if this means you have too add some more water tomorrow then do it that way. And if the temp is very low(say below 50 degrees) you should NOT be feeding them.

While water changes are great for fish this is definately not the way too go about it.

This is my Shabunkins in the pond, not the Butterfly Kois in the tank. I have good spring well water. So, I don't have to worry about cem. of (what we call ) city water. I still need to change the tank water. How much water do I take out and how much salt do I put back in with the new water to treat for Ick.

Yes, but at sunset, they were OK. I will not sleep very well tonite. I will let you know in the morning how they are. My daughter not so well. I think she learned her lesson. The first time she did this, I filled it back up before she got home. That was in the summer though. This time I waited until she was here and made her fill it up herself. It is really her pond. I gave it to her when I dig the big pond. She likes to fix the waterfall just right. I told her not on the side alway in the middle. She just had to try it on the side. Even thought I told her this would happen. Some times kids have to learn the hard way. :thud

How many fish are in the tank? What size are they? What size is the tank? What are the water parameters? What is the temp? How much are you feeding?

I know this is a lot of questions but for me too give a reply that I feel comfortable with I need too know these answers. I gave the answer too the salt replacement on your other thread. If you have any more questions you can always email me or we can just go through this thread. Either way is fine with me.

My tank is 55g and there are fourteen Butterfly Kois in it and they are about two in. Temp is 78f and I feed them twice, but my hubbie feeds them a little bit once in a while, not to offen. The tank has a white or cloudy look. Before you tell me it is over crowed, I know. I am going to dig them thier own pond in the spring. They will only be in this tank for appox four months.

I forgot to tell you guys that the Shabunkins in the pond are OK this morning. I will fill it the rest of the way as soon as it gets a little bit warmer, above freezing.

Could you tell me what the ph, ammonia, and nitrite readings are?

With that many fish your best bet will be too do frequent water changes(remember too keep up the salt for at least two weeks) and cut down on the food. Once a day is plenty. Once the pond is done you can start feeding them more.

Almost forgot too add that you should read about cycling a tank if it is not cycled. The most important thing you can do is keep the water quality good.

Edited by jetman73

What is cycling and how do I do it? Good news, My hubbie loves the Butterfly so much that is has agreed to let me get an other tank for them. So for Christmas my daughter is getting a 75g tank for the Kois to stay. Only seven of the fourteen will go in the new tank. I cann't wait until Christmas :panana

At the left of Kokos site there is a link that explains it. Until you understand how too cycle a tank and keep it there it is going too be a long road ahead for you and you will probably lose many fish. Sorry too be so harsh but it is the most important aspect of keeping fish.

The best saying I can think of goes like this,

"Keep the water and the water will keep the fish"

And if you ask any experienced fish keeper what the most important thing is too keep fish succesfully, They will all say WATER QUALITY.

You really need too do more research especially since you are going too be building a pond.