Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lynn

Salt

I was just told the GF love a little salt with thier water, when in tanks. Is that true for ponds as will? If so, how much and when to add? :lol

While I would never recommend using salt on a continual basis in your pond it is not a bad idea when you start it up. The main reason being for the nitrite phase of the cycle.

You could dose 10-15 pounds per thousand gallons and this will help in the beginning. The best source of salt I have found is Solar Salt that they sell at the home improvement stores. It comes in a blue bag and is meant for water softeners and only costs around $3-$4 for a 40 lb. bag.

I've never had the need to use salt in our pond. After the snow melts in the spring I actually totally empty both parts, shop vac them out and then refill. Once they are refilled I then add Biozyme to help get it cycled a little quicker before adding the fish back in.

why do you drain your pond and do you do it every year? We don't get that much snow in TN.

I drain them because I get so many leaves and stuff in them during the fall and then being in there frozen all winter it is just much easier to clean out all the leaves and stuff if I drain them. I get on average 150 to 200 inches of snow every year (last year was 216 inches) and with all the wind storms we've had lately it is impossible to keep all the leaves out (even with nets). Plus with the leaves in the bottom my frogs can hibernate well.

I have a problem, My daughter has move the waterfall and all, but a little of the water has pumped out. How can I put the water back in this cold temp. The fish are OK for now.

Lynn, add it back very slowly so you don't shock the fish (especially if there is a big difference in water temps). They should be fine. We lose water in our pond ever now and then but since it's 750 gallons what we lose isn't normally a big deal.

Good luck.

OK, I am adding it very slowly. I waited until she got home and seen the mess first before I started. It may take some time. I am not sure of the temp of the pond water asto the temp of the hose water. So far the fish look OK :)