Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
purple

A Bit Out Of The Loop These Days...

I've had this particular goldy for three years, so for insurance, I wanted to post a few questions here while it's quarantined and salted... it's been a while!

Anyhow, this particular fish has been living in a large, 70-75 gallon tank with 2 other goldfish, and 2 dojo loaches for 4 months, filtered with a Fluval 404. Recently, one of the goldfish passed away due to a combination of nasty swimbladder and the symptoms that this fish is showing.

The water tested out at zero for NH4/NO2/NO3, but I do not know the pH here. I do know we (Austin,TX) have hard water here though. I tend to not mess with the pH of my water, and nothing has been added to the tank that would change this. None of my other fish are exhibiting any problems with the water. I did a water change last week; I do biweekly water changes (removing 30%) because I am way understocked. The goldfish are still rather small --3" tops, including fins. And as mentioned before, no new ornaments, decorations, or fish have been added to the tank.

The fish itself is extremely lethargic. It sits on the bottom of the tank lop-sided, but does not have clamped fins. It also has a few specks on its dorsal which seems like ich spots to me. Breathing doesn't seem to be labored and it has red veins on its tail. It still seems to be taking food, so I'm hoping it'll pull through, but it's starting to get a little on the skinny side.

I have since moved it to a separate, established 20 gallon tank to have some r&r with a fake plant.

The only thing I can think of is chlorine, or parasites?

Thanks for any help, we greatly appreciate it! :(

Hi purple, sorry to hear you are having problems. The first thing I see is that you said the nitrates are 0, is this true? There should be nitrates in a cycled tank.

Next is the Ph, I would test this first above all. Ph can be a killer with gf, so if you could get those numbers....both the tank and the tap would be good.

As for ich, you can try salting the tank to 0.3% concentration. ARe you familar with this? If not we can lead you thru it.

I'm very familiar with it, thank you. I started salting the tank last night when I got home.

I did a water change last week; I do biweekly water changes (removing 30%) because I am way understocked. The goldfish are still rather small --3" tops, including fins.
They also live with two weather loaches. I doubt that two 3inch goldfish and two weather loaches can cause enough ammonia to process into nitrates that would show up on a test, especially with that much water replaced twice a week.

The fish is now laying on its side, curled up slightly, and there's now a bit of redness around the gill/mouth area.

It was only lethargic for a couple days before it immediately started laying on its side. It's rather sudden; I'm sorely disappointed.

:unsure: What water conditioner do you use to remove Chlorine,metal's,etc?

I've had understocked tanks before,and still have had Low Nitrate readings,and I probably do more than 30% when I do changes.

Have you seen the fish eating/pooping? Is all normal with that? Any signs of spitting/scratching/flashing---What does his gills look like-Meaty red like,or pale,swollen ,tattered looking?

How are things going?

Sorry for my extremely late reply!

Thanks for everyone's concern, but the fish passed away the day after my last response. It all happened so fast and having to be at work 8hrs a day made it hard to keep up with everything here.

It hurts, especially since I had that fish for 3yrs, but at least now it's at peace.

The fish didn't show any signs of illness except lethargy at first. When it first began, it would liven up at feeding time, but would go back to bottom-sitting when not eating. It's hard to tell how much it was pooping and the quality because I'm never home. :(

The only other noticeable thing was that it was looking a tad bit slimmer.

When the eating stopped, problems with equilibrium when bottom-sitting immediately set in. It was either laying crooked, or on its side.

As far as the nitrates go, I bought brand new test kits when I moved into this place. I know the test kits aren't the problem because I get nitrate readings in other tanks.

I was using the stress coat water conditioner for a while with the aloe vera in it, but the last couple w/c I used Start Right.

Thanks everyone.

:( I'm real sorry that you lost your fish purple.