Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lynn

Salt

The plants are probably not going too help especially if you did not disinfect them. Check out my response in the discussion page about what ph is good.

I tried the edit button but it did not work. You should get test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and kh. I see you already have a ph kit which is good. These kits are relatively inexpensive and I like the aquarium pharm kits. You should be able too get all three for around $20 or less and are a MUST in keeping fish. I would not worry about the nitrate kit just yet but it would be good too have in the future as would the salt level kit. If you can give these readings I can walk you step by step through the process of cycling the tank. And adding that 75 is ONLY GOING TOO HELP. Your only problem after the koi are added too the pond is you are going too have so many choices of goldfish too add to it. Many of us would kill for that problem.

Right now without the test kits, Think WATER CHANGES. I would do about 30-50% every 3 days. After you can post the results we can go from there but in my experience koi are much hardier than any fancy goldie and tolerate salt easily. Remember too keep that salt up too(1 tablespoon per gallon of every gallon replaced).

I always use the Ich med that contains Malachite Green. You cannot let it touch your hands cuz it is a carcinogen, but it has always taken my fish's Ich away in a day or two. I never added extra salt in during treatment, except for the grgular amount that I add after water changes.

:panana Good news! The ich problm is gone. I got the test kit for Nitrate, Nitrite, Hardness, Alkalinity, pH, and Ammonia. I wasn't sure if I needed both, but I got them anyway. You want to hear something funny. I got not just one of these kits, but three. I want to nnnnnn and got the frist set, then at Lowes ( they where cheaper), then I stop at a pet shop the get some live plants and yes, they where on sale. I should be good for a while. My little petshop in town, didn't have them. So, while I was in the big city I got Them. I don't get to Columbia to often. My little petshop was closed when I got back. I like to buy what I can from them. I will get the new tank I hope on Monday. :druel