Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lynn

Salt

The man at the pet store said to put salt in the tank, to treat for ick. Now my Kois are all in one cornner. Is that OK. :o

Salt is a GF keeper's best friend! I alwaya have it in my GF tanks, following the directions on the can (I believe it's one teaspoon per gallon or something like that.)

After every water change, I restore the amount of salt that corresponds with the amount of water I removed.

I have used salt to treat ich, but the ich returned. So now I just use salt as an overall water conditioner all the time, and pick up a bottle of malachite green for any outbreaks of ich.

Just don't use table salt; it has anti-caking agents in it, and/or iodine. Either "aquarium salt" from the pet store, or kosher salt frrom the grocery store are fine.

Salt isnt harmful, but it might be bad if you used table salt with the anticaking agents in it. If so, I would do a big water change quickly. Hopefully someone with a little more experience than I have will answer this too!

Guest Shiari

What type of salt did you put in, how much did you put in, and how big is the tank again?

i think your greatly mistaken i heard it was 1 tablespoon to every 5 gallons in you tank :) for adding salt :D

Just a little addendum.. Ginevive mentioned using kosher salt from the grocery store. You can also use canning salt (like you would buy to make pickles) which can be a little cheaper even though its the same thing with a different label.

Canning salt tends to get very cheap in the fall since no one cans in the winter and stores don't want it sitting around. You can also buy it in very large quantities.

All my tanks have salt in them. I usually put in 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallon bucket of water I add during water changes. Once the salt is in the tank, you don't have to add more to "Recharge" it. Only when you replace the water.

Jim

:unsure: I used ten tablespoons in a fifty-five gal tank. I use the salt the pet store owner gave me. He said use it to treat ick. I also got some ick med. too. He told me to take out my filters before using any of this stuff. My tank was blue last nite, now it is white. I put my filters back in just a min. ago. My fish look a little better, but still have white spots, just not as many as before. How long will it take or should I treat them again? It has been only twnety-four hours. :ill

Guest Shiari

Your salt ratio is, right now, 0.01% or so. 1 tbsp = 3 tsp

the best ratio to treat for any illness is 0.03%. This means putting the equiv of 1 tsp/gallon in three doses separated by 12 hours or so each. This will give a final ration of one tablespoon per gallon.

Even the level of salt you have right now will kill the ich. In fact, you didn't need the other med at all. It'll be a couple weeks before it's fully gone, and make sure that you add in the proper amount of salt with each water change.

"1 tsp per gallon every 12 hours for 3 treatments will bring it up to .03% (the recommended level) ...

Yes, they'll adjust .... if they were in an established home I'd have bet on a water q problem ... but because you just moved them I think it was just 'I'll see what's over there, this place is strange' . As long as you have the airstones in there - I'd leave the scarf over it ... I used a bedsheet over my stock tank when Flopper took flight! "

This is the advice given to me at a koi forum when I asked about what to do for my silly little Tooru after she jumped. So you'll want to do just two more treatments. They should be feeling much much better soon.

Shiari,

You need too move the decimal point one place. Salt concentrations of .01% or .03% will do nothing. We are trying too get too .3% which is not very close too the dosage being used. If you dose one teaspoon per gallon three times you will be at a concentration that will wipe out the ick. Another consideration is the temp of the tank. 80-83 is desirable but only if sufficient aeration is added.

In my tests 1 teaspoon per gallon dosed three times will bring you up around .45% which is safe for the fish if added gradually like you recommended. It will no doubt take care of the ick if kept at that level for 2 weeks.

I would like too know some more info about the tank and more parameters if possible.

Lynn,

Could you post some more info about the tank. Normally ick only rears its ugly head when something is out of wack.

Guest Shiari

math... *not* my strong point. Go listen to someone else about the salt! :P:rolleyes:

Shiari,

Sorry I did not mean too offend you, I just wanted too state what concentrations we are aiming for. I love having people like yourself on the board that truly care for their fish and try too help whenever they can.

lynn,

If you know you have ick salt is the best way too clear it. Be very careful combining an ick med and salt since many ick meds contain formalin which does not mix with salt very well. At the dose you are using it is going too be ineffective since you are around .1%. If you have any questions about how much you should use just let me know and we will go from there.

:huh: You guys said to change the water or was it just take some out? How much do I take out and how much salt to add each time I remove some water? I am going to try the web site. Jetman I will need all the help I can get and Thank you Shrei :) for all the info.

The link from gldfshkpr explains the proper way too use salt. I am not sure what you are asking but once you have the full dose of salt in the tank (1 level tablespoon per gallon) if you need too do a water change you need too replace it. If you take out 5 gallons of water you need too add 5 tablespoons of salt too the new water.

And while that link is very helpful don't expect salt too work on as many parasites as the good Doc mentions. In recent years many of those parasites that it used too kill have developed a resistance too salt however in your case ick is not one of them. If you dose 1 level tablespoon of salt per gallon for 2 weeks you will no longer have ick. Hope that helped.

My fish was staying down the bottom FOR AGES last week, i put about 4 - 5 teaspoons of salt, and in about 1 day is was ALOT better. Now she is fine. I have a 20 gallon.. so i did about 1 teaspoon for 5 gallons

I know this is over asking, but I don't want to hurt my fish. I have already put in one tx of ick med. and ten tablespoons of salt on the 28 of Nov. I will need to add one teaspoon to every gal this friday too. Is that right?

Is there formalin in the ick med? If there is, don't use both the salt and ick med together. Just continue with the ick med and forget about adding anymore salt.

If there is NOT any formalin in the ick med I would discontinue the use of the ick med and go the salt route. Add 15 level tablespoons of salt now and 15 level tablespoons tomorrow. When I say level, I mean measuring spoons not regular householsd spoons. This will be a strong enough dose too take care of the ick while not hurting the fish. Just dissolve it first before adding and keep that salt level up for 2 weeks.

Actually Lynn before you try any of my recommendations let me know what Ick med you are using. This way we can get the best route route too use.

The ick med is called Ick Clear by Jungle. My daughter want to say something to you guys on this spiecal accation. My hundredth post. :monkey how you fix a pond when it is leaks? You can fix a pond? :goldfish my goldfish well my fish is doing good. mom goldfish is doing some good out in the big pond. I GOT A BIG GOLD FISH IS 1 HE IS THAT HE'S NOT OLD. :I BET YOUR POND IS BIG AS MY MOM POND. Well, what do you expect from a ten year old who does not know how to type. She will learn. I am am not sure what she ment about the leaking pond.

The active ingredients are victoria green, acriflavine. Will that hurt my fish, if I put the salt in. I will not do any thing until I hear from you.

I would stop using the med and go with just the salt. Acriflavine will harm the beneficial bacteria in your filter while using just salt is very safe.

Nemo,

The reason for not combining the meds is because salt will stimulate a slime coat on the fish including the gills thereby making it harder for oxygen too be transferred. If only salt is used it is not a problem.

However when you add formalin too the water, the formalin will use up the oxygen and could lead too the fish suffocating. While salt is very gentle, formalin is not and should be dosed precisely and always be ready too perform a quick water change when using formalin if the fish start gasping.

You know what, Now that you mention it my fish did do soom gasping last week. I didn't know why. I just put in more live plants. The ph level is 7.4, is that good. I will check out the site about cycling the water.