Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

My Tank Won't Cycle!

Guest gldfshkpr

The bio-bugs you're concerned about keeping are in your filter, gravel, tank walls, driftwood, etc. There are some free floating in the water, but the Nitrites out-weigh them. Most excess waste and food will end up in the gravel. Even though the bio-bugs use the waste and food to multiply, you want to strike a balance and keep the waste down. Too much waste is going to convert to Nitrites that your bio-bugs can't handle. It's much harder to cycle a tank in cooler temps. Bio-bugs thrive in the warmer waters. You might consider putting a heater on there until your tank establishes itself. If I were you, I'd be doing daily water changes of 25% as long as the Nitrites are over 1.5. Yes, this will prolong the cycle, but it will keep your fish alive and well. koko and jetman make an excellent recommendation about adding a bio-wheel. I did a little research on that filter you have. It can accommodate two! Unless there's excess junk on your filter material, don't rinse it. Keep feedings down to once a day as well.

Sorry if I've repeated a few points already made. My educated guess at this point is the cold water is not allowing your bio-bugs to multiply at a rate that keeps up with the waste. A heater will do wonders toward achieving the cycle. Once the tank temp reaches 75 degrees Fahrenheit?or so on it's own, I'd take the heater out. Goldfish are cold water creatures in nature.

Hi, Thank you.

My nitrites are not over 1.5 yet though, they are only at 0.8 which is still pretty high I suppose.

Should I still do a 25% water change? As well, should I gravel vac tomorrow, as it has been a week? If I am supposed to gravel vac tomorrow, how big of a water change should I do tomorrow? Should I just vac half the tank?

I seem to be having another problem now too!

None of the fish appeared stressed. But I noticed Woogie the Oranda, had two splits in his dorsal fin. I didn't think it a big deal, as he was chasing Whitie earlier and I thought he might have tried to squeeze between an ornament or something, but then I noticed The lionhead, and the Black Moor both had a split in their tails, and now Woogie also has a split in his tail.

I have never dealt with fin rot or anything like that before. I imagine the splits in the fins are due to the nitrites....right?

Whitie had split in her dorsal fin once before, and I didn't do anything for it, and it was healed by the next day.

What should I do for these fish. I really don't want them to die. This hobby is MUCH harder than I thought.

Thanks a million

jessica

Instead of doing a water change today, and then possibly gravel vac tomorrow, should I just do a gravel vac tonight?

Sorry if I keep asking the same things over and over....I really don't mean to. I'm trying to figure this out, really! LOL

Thanks

Jessica

Guest gldfshkpr

Jessica, if fins are splitting, I'd definitely be doing DAILY water changes of 20%. You're right, .8 is pretty high, especially considering this has been going on for two months now. A gravel vac is going to take approximately 20% out anyways. During the cycle, you probably want to only vacuum half of it once a week instead of all of it. BUT, if your gravel seems very dirty with lots of debris coming up the tube, I'd vacuum the whole thing now and then only do half once a week from here on out. My advice is to do the daily water changes and get a heater if you can afford one. If not, do the water changes and weekly gravel vac and eventually your tank will cycle. Then it's once a week maintenance of vacuuming and water changing. Using the water conditioner is a very good idea. Your water may contain chloramine and that could have contributed to killing off your bio-bugs in the past.

Kirk

:)

Thanks for all your help Kirk.

I'll get a heater for sure. And I'll have to look into getting a bio wheel for that filter asap.

Split fins should heal with good water quality right?

I was doing water changes daily for two months, up until the last two weeks. The daily water changes were keeping my nitrites at 0.1 and my nitrates at 4-5, so I stopped doing the water changes daily LOL I get soooo confused. I still consider myself a newbie. So now I'm back to daily water changes.

I think I will go vaccum half the gravel. I was waiting for someone to reply before I did my water change/gravel vac.

Thanks again

Jessica

Guest gldfshkpr

Glad to help! To me, fishkeeping is part science, part instinct and part love. Figuring out what part to emphasize at times is the tricky part.

:P

Well my nitrites dropped back down to 0.2, and my nitrates are at 5.....and the water is horribly cloudy...... :cry1

The tears in the fins were all healed the day after they ripped, the didn't get fin rot or anything...

I think I'm just going to forget about my nitrates, keep my nitrates at 0-0.1 and get get an aquaclear 500 on that tank. My 20 gal is pretty close to being cycled...when I put the AC 500 on, I will use some filter media from the 20, and some water from there.....................

I don't want my fish to get sick........ :thud

Thanks

Jessica

Oh Jess.......Keep that Chin up it will I promise :D

Thanks Koko! I am very glad that I have you all here to help me..... :lol:

I am trying to be patient, but I tend to worry easily. Not to play favorites, but this tank does have all my favorite fish in it, I was getting a little hysterical when I saw splitting fins..... but all is good now, and hopefully this ordeal will be over soon :D

I have surely learned my lesson, never do a cycle with fish..........

Thanks a million for all the help and support :hug

Jessica

Anytime Hun :D

Guest ikanmas

Hi Jessica (and anyone who might have a suggestion),

is your tank finally cycled yet?

I kind of having the same problem right now; as you have a while ago (I've read this thread from the beginning).

my nitrites doesn't seem to come down at all, it's somewhere between 1 - 2 ppm, ammonia has been 0 for 3 weeks, nitrates was 5 ppm most of the time.

and I currently do a 30% water change every other day.

I've tested the water from the tap, no nitrites/nitrates from the tap.

my tank: 90 gallons

fish: 1 pearlscale, 1 black moor, 1 oranda (each about 2 inches length)

filters: eheim proII 2028, emperor 400 (with 2 bio-wheel), 1 sponge filter powered by airpump;

tank temperature: 74F all the time (I have an Ebo-Jager 250 W heater)

PH level: 7.6

i use Big Als water conditioner to treat Chlorine+Chloramine, I also let the water age for about 24 hours before doing the water change (in 30 gallons rubbermaid tub).

i supply plenty of oxygen to the tank by air pump (on bubble wand) and the splashes from filters.

I've put salt to get 0.3% in the water to help the fish to cope with the nitrites...

what could have gone wrong? what did I do wrong? anybody has any suggestions?

[shouldn't buy those fish that soon but just can't handle the temptation..]

thanks.

Hi,

When did you set your tank up?

Don't worry, if your ammonia has been 0 for 3 weeks, pretty soon your nitrite will just drop practically overnight to 0. It may take another week or two.

It took me two months to cycle a 20 gallon, and even longer to cycle the 44 gallon that I was having the trouble with.

Maybe someone will have more suggestions for you. But I think your tank should be cycled soon. Lucky duck, 90 gallons!!!!!!

Jessica

Guest ikanmas

Hi Jessica,

the tank was set up January 10, 2004;

I let it run for 2 weeks without fish, with 5 ppm ammonia in the water to kickstart a fishless cycle..

after 2 weeks, the ammonia was gone, tons of nitrite, at this stage I know that the full cycle is not done, I did a 90% water change. ( I want to buy the fish)

Jan 23 - I bought 2 tiny goldfish (each about 2 inches).

ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0.

Jan 28 - ammonia 0.20, nitrite 0.25, nitrate 0 - did 30% water change

Jan 29 - ammonia 0.01, nitrite 0.25, nitrate 0 -

Jan 30 - ammonia 0.02, nitrite 0.50, nitrate 5 -

Jan 31 - ammonia 0.02, nitrite 0.50, nitrate 5 - add 1 goldfish

Feb 01 - ammonia 0.00, nitrite 1.00, nitrate 5 - 30% water change

Feb 02 - ammonia 0.00, nitrite 1.00, nitrate 5 - 50% water change

Feb 03 - ammonia 0.00, nitrite 1.00, nitrate 5

Feb 05 - ammonia 0.00, nitrite 1.00, nitrate 5 - 30% water change

Feb 07 - ammonia 0.00, nitrite 2.00, nitrate 5

Feb 08 - ammonia 0.00, nitrite 2.00, nitrate 5 - 60% water change

Feb 09 - ammonia 0.00, nitrite 0.70, nitrate 5 -

Feb 10 - ammonia 0.00, nitrite 0.90, nitrate 5 - 30% water change

hopefully it's almost over,

I looked at the chart of the Nitrogen cycle, it looks like my numbers are doing just fine.. isn't it ?

thanks.

Edited by ikanmas

jess, did you ever figure out what GPH your filter is rated for? honestly, i think that may be one of the problems. jmo. i believe that 6-10 times per hour changeover is best.

sorry if i missed it in a previous post! :lol:

Edited by toothless

That sounds like it's getting very close to cycling.

Toothless, I did figure it out, but I forget what it was, but I remember it was badddddd. I ditched that filter, well actually it's on a smaller tub now, and i put an AC/300 on there. I wanted the 500 but it would not fit the way my tank/hood is fitted. Thanks Toothless =o)

Jessica