Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest otis

How Many Is To Many

Guest otis
:o I was told that you should have one gold fish per 20 gal. of water. Here where I need help understanding. I was in nooppee the other and I noticed a 55 gal tank in a hair salon had about 10 different fish in it. Some of these fish were gold fish and they were hugh. How can they survive in this small tank?

The key word is "survive" here. Oh yes they'll survive in the tank but they may not necessarily "thrive" there.

It is recommended to have 20 gal (more is even better) per ADULT goldfish. An adult fancy will reach up to 10-12 inches long so the minimum feasible volume to house a single adult fancy is a 20 gal.

There are several reasons to have more water volume:

- More swimming space

- More water means optimal growth

- Less maintenance

- Toxins are more diluted therefore less toxic

- Tank environment more stable

- More water simply means happier fish.

Again, the 10 fish will "survive" (not thrive) in the 55 gal, but the living conditions are not optimal and u'll have a much harder time keeping them alive.

IMO though, 10 fish in a 55 gal is better than 4 fish in a 20 gal, though the rate of overstocking is the same. The bigger the tank, the less effect of overstocking. But then again, to overstock is always not good :D

Edited by d_golem

Hi otis - it's basically 1 goldie per 10 gallons which roughly takes into consideration growth vs waste vs health.

There's historical information needed to understand whether or not they do thrive and suvive for example

- Did they just buy them?

- What's the rate of demise?

- How often do they do waterchanges?

- What type of filtration do they have?

So without any of this information, any comments would at best be hypothetical :D

The rule of thumb is about 1 fancy goldfish per 10 gallons. Oh course more is always better! Common and Comets (or feeders) need much more. About 15-30 each is suitable for commons.

A 55 gallon tank with 10 goldfish would be so difficult to keep clean I dont know who would want to undertake that. Whoever cleans that tank is probably well aware of how nasty that water gets so quickly.

I have often seen far too many fish for the tank size, it amazes me how they do survive .

Guest throttlethumb

This is the reason I never fed my green terror (back in the day) any live food. Feeder fish are so crammed in holding tanks that I was always nervous of disease. I am sure the salon has a proffessional come in and maintain the tank and if so, Im suprised he allowed the tank to be so overstocked. I have a 30 gallon and 2 fantails that are 2 inches long. That is all I will put in the tank.

Keeping a 55 gal tank with 10 goldies is tough. I have a 60gal with 11... :( I do 50% water changes weekly, and I feed them maybe 2-3 times a week, I have 2 penguin 330's on it and a magnum 350 cannister also...Their water temp is around 60*F, so they have plenty of oxygen flowing, also the fact I have 4 80gal air pumps on it.The tank is at my dad's house, so I'm not there all the time, but when I am, I test the water and its always perfect, I'm guessing thats due to not feeding them constantly.

Its not best to keep them in this kinda situation. If I had the money, they would have an awesomely huge tank!

The water changes aren't very hard on me, I have a python, and I'm in teh basement so its easy to hook up and such, Their water is rarely what I would consider filthy *filthy to me is when the vacuum is constantly pulling up gunk* It is a hard one to do though, however, d_golem makes a very good point, keeping 4 fish in a 20gal is much tougher, I know that one from experience also. I did manage to get my fish to breed that year tho, but I was also doing 50% water changes on it every other day.

To me, it all depends on the amount of work you want to make for yourself. Overstocking a tank, or even understocking both require water changes and good filtration. The more you have in your tank, the more work it will be. To me, in a sense, in very satisfying to know I have more fish than I should, but if I had the chance to get a tank big enough for them, I would. I am NOT suggesting anyone do this! Unless you want to spend a LOT of time pretty much everyday changing water.

*I am not trying to offend anyone by posting this.Just giving MHO on what its like to be over stocked*

Edited by Raynebowfish

Guest otis

I'm in the process of doing a fishless cycle on my 29 gal tank. When it's finished I plan on putting 3 Fancy Gold Fish in it. I have a Large Bio-Filtration Pump on it, a Heater and a 18in long air bubble tube with pump. I don't mind doing 10-20 % water changes weekly. I know I will be over stocked but can I make it work with the equipment I have and weekly 10-20% water changes? comments :(

3 goldfish in 29 gal is absolutely fine. Btw, what do u mean by Large Bio-filtration Pump?

Guest otis

That's the name of the pump (Bio Filtration Pump). It has three different filters