Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fishykisses

New Fish

i love them too :) no ones disputing that they arent lovely fish, we are disputing what the fish in question is :)

It is a cutie, congrats FishyKisses! I keep checking this thread to see what Tinkerbell and D_Golem say next. :tomuch: It's so funny! I hope no one gets the chair! ;)

lol, well, i dont know where Riz has gone :lol1 im taking it he's bakced out? :D

Be patient, Alice :D U'll see.....

:D Well you two that was like a game of Ping Pong,

473343[/snapback]

Was the ping pong game looked like this, sian?:

tinkmepingpong.jpg

I said nothing cos I was busy drawing :D

:rofl I knew you wouldn't be quiet for long. So is Tinks the one with the evil pong and you the one getting pinged!!!! Do I need to duck

:rofl I knew you wouldn't be quiet for long. So is Tinks the one with the evil pong and you the one getting pinged!!!! Do I need to duck

474023[/snapback]

Argh :krazy: somehow I know ur reply would be along those lines! Shoulda made alice more feminine.......ah, yes u need to duck cos I'm gonna chuck this ping pong bat straight at you! :D:rofl

:lol1

Riz, ive gotta be the evil one!! although i dont think much of the skin-head look you've given me :D

oh, and dont worry about loosing hun, its the taking part that counts :tomuch:

Edited by tinkerbell

ok, heres my take on ping pong!!

rizlost.jpg

its not quite as artistic as Riz', but its twice as good, because im winning! :D

:rofl Oh Tink , love your skirt. You just know he's gonna get you back. I get a bit worried when it goes quite. I'm sure he' s a man with a plan. :D

ok here's me butting in :rofl but here's a fish that was labled fantail and to me it look the same body shape as the one in question.

post-7789-1139436282_thumb.jpg

Hah!

this thread has become hilarious!

Sorry, I hate to take sides Alice, but I'm with Riz on this one....

there is not dorsal hump that looks even remotely like a ryukin. This fish is a fantail, probably a lot higher quality than the majority of mongrel fantails you see in shops too.

There are so many 'grades' of fantail, a lot of crappy fantails you see in shops (especially the cheaper ones) are of really low quality, there are standards, but most of these wouldn't even come close to the bar. perhaps you have seen the standards of other more curious breeds but have you actually perused the standards of the humble fantail.

One may wonder why fantails are so cheap (less than $20 or so).. -it's because they sell easy and "they are good for bowls" (I don't agree with this, but I'm talking from a petshops perspective) and if you can buy various grades of fish, in a competitive market, when price is an issue to people who don't know what they are looking at, why buy ultra-high quality fantails when you can undercut your competition by buying the cheapest looking mutant fantails and fob them off to parents who don't care about the fish, but their kids are hassling them, or to the kids directly who don't understand about the quality of the fish....

I hate to say it, but the picture of a fantail that you were comparing with the fishykisses fantail is not a particularly good specimen (see your post as at Feb 5 2006, 05:14 AM) the dorsal slope is very flat, not very nicely contoured, the caudal peduncle is way too thin so it doen't hold it's tail out in a fan-shape very nicely.. a fantail is supposedly an egg-shape right, I see no resemblance of an egg in the first of the two fantails... is it your fish? I'm not trying insult you or have a dig at you personally, but if it's yours I can imagine you didn't pay much more than about 2 quid? it's probably a lovely little pet and very adorable, but it's not a particularly high quality specimen. It's like in cats, tabby cats can be beautiful lovely pets, but they ain't gonna win any prizes in breeding competitions.

The short tail in fishykisses fantail is short because it's a young fish, they're nicely rounded, I reckon after a few years this fish is going to look spectacular, as a very fine, high quality <<FANTAIL>> :krazy:

It's hard to win when one is incorrect, one has got to know when to put the bone down! :rolleyes:

:blink: Are we finally back to topic??? Geez............. ANd what was that topic???? :rolleyes::rofl

your right I didn't pay any more than ?2 bang on the money there Tosakin and he isn't mine but one I'm looking after for a school

but he is loved

but well done all the same.

Thx TiO!!! A long post by a lady who owns tosakins and shukins (u did buy the shukin, right?) is hard to fault ;)

Btw, here's a REVISED version of my ping pong, and those are not balloons, or coconuts, or watermelons, or any kind globular kinds of fruit :D

Edited for obvious reasons Riz.....

Edited by Devs

:tomuch::tomuch:

Aaahhhh, this thread is soooo funny!!

And that last cartoon takes the cake, Riz!

Holy CARP Riz, you crack me up :rofl I'm truely full of faults, I'm the first to admit it!

Wizz, I hope you don't take too much personal offence at my opinion of the fish, it's still cute, but not text-book qual that's all... :D

(BTW Riz, yes I got a Shukin, but I'll post more about it in the original thread once I've got a decent piccie :D )

:rofl OOOh Riz, I knew you were too quiet. I love your pony tail and when did you have that cosmetic surgery?

Now being serious that really is quite interesting about the fantails. Are there lots of different ones within under the heading of Fantail. My Dylan has the egg shape I think but a really long floaty tail fin.

:rofl   OOOh Riz, I knew you were too quiet. I love your pony tail and when did you have that cosmetic surgery?

474559[/snapback]

Alice, I know ur a tomboy but u didn't get trid of your "you-know-whats", won't u? :D

I kinda agree with TiO. Fantail's definition is precise, as stated by GFSA and BAS, but the majority of goldfish keeper refers any goldfish with a double-tail (but no other "stuff" like wen, telecope eye, hump, pom pom, etc) as fantail.

Sian, kind of, but generic 'fantail' heading for a goldfish is just a four lobed, double tailed goldie with no other distictive features, ie, a bubble eye may have a fantail, but it is commonly known as a bubble eye as this is the most distinguishing feature of the breed, you could call it a bubbleeye fantail if you want, but then the whole name of the fish could include a long list of all the specific features the fish has, including length of finnage, colour type, dorsal contour, body shape and so on. A butterfly tail however is not a fantail as it's tail tends to be less forked, to the point of having a straight trailing edge and is held in the horizontal plane (it looks like a butterfly viewed from above), the name butterfly tail doesn't actually mention the fact that the fish have telescope eyes, but the tail is the most distinguishing feature on that particular breed hence the name.

FYI A long thin ribbony tail is know as a 'ribbon tail' or sometimes a 'swallow tail' (resembles the tail of a swallow, not swallow as in gulping).

The problem with goldfish nomenclature is that there are specific pure breeds out there, but they are all still goldfish and can interbreed, even within purebreeds, the genetics are so variable that even two perfect specimens when bred together will produce a large proportion of progeny that are not perfect, and even resemble other breeds, so arguing that some fish is a particular type of fancy is a little bit pointless, for all we know, when we buy a 'fantail', it may have been progeny from say, a shukin and a veiltail, or any other fancy under the sun. or then again, it could be progeny from a fantail and a fantail. From what I see Fishykisses fish is a fantail plain and simple, there is no other real distinguishing feature that would make me want to call it anything else! :rolleyes:

Edited by Tosakin in Oz

Thx TiO!!! A long post by a lady who owns tosakins and shukins (u did buy the shukin, right?) is hard to fault ;)

Btw, here's a REVISED version of my ping pong, and those are not balloons, or coconuts, or watermelons, or any kind globular kinds of fruit :D

474414[/snapback]

:rofl2 I knew that was coming after you said "Shoulda made Alice more Feminine"! :tomuch:

Edited*************

Edited by Devs

I was gunna jump in a defend Alice on this.. but then TiO appeared and corrected us :D