Sorsha

A Diary Of Raising Fry W/ Photos!

132 posts in this topic

Time for another update!

This one is first, getting close to 6 months now and has developed his breeding stars:

percy2.jpg

This is my favorite little girl from the second at 93 days today:

age93_.jpg

This is my favorite little guy from the third at 82 days today:

age82_.jpg

Time for another update!

This one is first, getting close to 6 months now and has developed his breeding stars:

percy2.jpg

This is my favorite little girl from the second at 93 days today:

age93_.jpg

This is my favorite little guy from the third at 82 days today:

age82_.jpg

511967[/snapback]

about how big is the 6 month goldfish :)

he is about 5" long from nose to tip of tail :)

They are still SO CUTE LeAnn :) Your doing such a AWESOME Job with them.. :exactly:heart

PS-I'm SO SORRY bout the picture that I was gonna get off of you hun! I totally spaced getting back to you about all that. :wa If you still have some just PM me when you get a minute, Iv'e been being naughty on E-Bay so I'll have to check with Hubby... :rolleyes:

Whoa Sorsha! That 6 month-old is already 5"???? Goodness me what r u feeding him :lol: He's come full circle now :D ready to mate and give you another 500-1000 little babies to take care of lol.

Oh and I looooooove the girl :heart:heart wonderful colouration!

thanks for your responce :) Diary Of Raising Fry W/ Photos is brilliant. congrats of your healthy fish :D

i wrote a little post before but nobody really new the answer.

the goldfishes ive seen at the local goldfish store are usually 2 1/2 inches. are there any gf breeders here? when you raise a fry how old are they when they're about 2 1/2 inches?

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=45353

the goldfishes ive seen at the local goldfish store are usually 2 1/2 inches. are there any gf breeders here? when you raise a fry how old are they when they're about 2 1/2 inches?

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=45353

513243[/snapback]

I think everybody has answered your question in the other thread quite clearly ;) . It's very hard to tell how old a fry is based on the length cos there are a lot of factors that affect their growth.

As for gf breeders here, Sorsha is one, so is koko,and there are a few others also, but mostly incidental or for fun, not commercial.

yea, i already answered that question as best I could... It is really hard to tell without knowing the conditions the fry were raised in. It isnt really important how old the fry are anyways when you are purchasing. You need to pay close attention to their swim patterns, body colouring, and how it is holding its fins. Even if it is smaller, if it is healthy and you give it plenty of room, then it will continue and be beautiful.

hi d_golem :)

thanks for replying to my other post. i thought IMO meant you didnt know for sure what normal fish growth is. im really interested in growing a monster sized fish. then again monster sized goldfish could be abnormal. i guess :blink:

ive never had a goldfish larger than 3". we could keep it alive but it never grew :( there was one post that i read saying fish really slow down in growth or stop after 160 days. im really trying to learn how to keep a good tank for optimum growth. that way if im doing everything right and the fish still isnt growing to its max+ maybe i should try another fish.

I have an oranda that is about 7-7.5" in length from nose to tail tip and about 3.5 inches wide... I have seen them slow down growth after a length of 5 inches but not really along any sort of day by day schedule.

Guest blondie

Hi, I was just asking for help on what to feed my baby fish from the pond, and I started serfing this website and your diary was very helpful. Now I have to go out and try to find the shrimp you used for your fry.

This was very helpful. Thanks alot for the insight. Blondie

Just thought I'd pop in here & show off a couple of the babies that were from Sorsha's "Diary of Raising Fry"!!

c506830d.jpg

e584f3b4.jpg

be3f9772.jpg

Mine are about 2 1/2" long (not counting the tail). I am soooo glad that Sorsha shared these beauties with me! :exactly

they are looking wonderful jeana!!!! and you know what? soon ill post photos of the guys I have from the same group AND ill post how my lastest set are doing, they are right now only about 5 days old. :-D

Guest Lizzy

After having left this forum for a long time (internship in Africa etc) I returned today and just had to read your wonderful diary! Its amazing, especially the pictures. Thank you very much for posting them!

I arrived back from Africa on friday and immediately went to the pond. My parents told me there werent any fry but I know not to trust them on that and started scooping anyhow.

And yes, over 20 fry saved from vicious parents :-)

Two seem to be a little older already but most are around 1-5 days old, with some still have the egg sac.

So I'm right behind you on this new batch! :-)

Please let me know how this newest lot is doing.

Anyhow, I quickly went and prepared a tank with a little pond water, since in my experience they do better in that than treated tap water. Unfortunately I dont think my camera will take such beautiful pictures as yours but I'll give it a try anyhow.

I also paid a visit to a friend of mine who received the offspring of 3 years ago. He had some SERIOUS illness in his pond with 80% dying but funnily enough mine seem to be immune. They are now about 10cm with 1 being completely white except for the tail being red, 1 is red/white/black/orange and 1 has the copper/brown colour.

Its amazing to see how such small eggs can deliver such big fish :-)

Edited by Lizzy

HELP!!!! Last month I've got a fry (one) and it died...don't exactly know why but I think it's probably I put some methylene blue in the water. Then, last week...I had around 30-35 fry (I did not put any methylene blue anymore)...some died on the third day and there were 4-5 left that looked strong enough to live but "stupid" me tried to put them together with their mommy and daddy (in a plastic container that has really small holes on them...which they went through!!!!) and of course, mommy and daddy ate them all. Saved some but they did not make it...I felt like a real mad woman crying my eyes out for being so stupid.

Today...I've got myself about 100+ eggs. I've put them in a plastic tub about 14" x 14" and had asked my husband to get some live plants for them.

Now...can someone out there please tell me what I should do next? Apart from reading this extremely helpful website, I am hoping someone out there will stick with me on a day to day basis to tell me what I am doing wrong and what to do right.

I really want to keep some of these fry alive.

Anyway, this is my first time to look after gold fish and luckily I have them now for more than a year already (I've got six..and they are all of different kind of gold fish...).

Looking forward to some help from anyone.....Thanx...Hope28

Time for another update!

percy2.jpg

Your an awesome care taker for goldfish :) any updates on this gold fish? how big is he/she now? is he/she 11 months now? It'd be sweet to see an updated picture of him/her now.

:)

Hi, Although I do not intend to have fry, reading your article was super interesting and VERY informative. Just wanted to say congrats on a fine job! You Rock! :P

Guest BayBeeBoiz2

wow awsome pot...thx for sharing..i too am hoping to be a grandma soon :P

i can wait.anyway congratulations!

Guest Halloween

Awesome photos!!!

By any chance, do you have any more photos of the fish missing his/her tail?? I am absolutely IN LOVE with that fish!! :heart:heart:heart

Ps, what is that fish's story? Does it have a home? Are you keeping it (wouldn't blame you), because if it's looking for a home... I'd be more than glad to give it one. Lol, thanks hope this isn't to off topic!!

I would love to see a video of how a fish with no tail swims. Gorgeous photos!!!

Guest rlwilliston

You have given me all the information that I have been searching for - thank you thank you thank you.

I'm also sure that others have found this very informative as well!!! :D

I kept the one with no tail, and he is still doing rather well, considering his handicap. Ill post photos of him later on. So far, he is still quite small, about the length of your thumb, while his brothers and sisters are now about 6" long not including the tails.

I think that it is good for him to grow really slowly but i think a large part of that is because he has to put forth so much more energy to get anywhere. Since he has trouble eating I have to feed him flakes or very very small sinking pellets.

but no worries, he is still happy and healthy!!!

Wow Sorsha! I'm hoping my fry will grow to 6" in October :D they're about 2 inches now with tail (short tails though)

this is an awesome thread! i can see why it was pinned! :exactly

can't wait to see more pix of yor little ones! :)