Sorsha

A Diary Of Raising Fry W/ Photos!

132 posts in this topic

:krazy: I can't wait to get my four lil' guys!! :krazy:

What color do you think those greenish gold ones will be? I really like the speckled ones! Do you think any of them will be lemonheads?

Edited by Jeana727

the greenish ones are the same colour percy was when he was little. SO i imagine that they will look just like him when they grow up, which is like a dark chocolate color with gold undertones.

As far as them being lemon heads, i think i remember from on of the topics i posted that the true lemon heads cant have dark eyes, and all of mine have dark eyes.

So, im not sure at all! I know alot of them have that lemon colour in the head region though. :-D

When you pick out mine, please one of those chocolatey ones! Wow! Real Pretty! Well, you just pick 'em out, obviously you have great taste in goldies cause yours are beautiful!!

I can't wait! :D

(Oh yeah, put on here or send me a link to pics of both parents. They should be the 1st pics in my baby goldie record!!

Edited by Jeana727

YOur photos are amazing! I wish I had your eye!

Your babies are also amazing - a literal rainbow of colors. Their fat little tummies are sooooo cute.

I truly hope that we will be able to see these babies grow and develop - no matter where they end up!

:D

Well, even though I did not want to.. I did what any respectable breeder would do and culled the ones with S-Spines and severe tail deformities that resulted in problems with swimming.

Dont worry though, my guy with absolutely no tail is still doing wonderfully.

I have kept the best of the best so far and havent had to cull in about a week.

In order to find out who is doing best I have slowly increased the current in the tank so that now, all of the fry are easily able to withstand the currents of a penguin biowheel 350B within their 20gal long tank. Quite a large filter for the tank, but with alot of fry. very needed.

I currently have fry in the 20gL that are 60 days old and 49 days old.

I have 9 that are 60 days old. that would be 4 chocolate and 5 calico.

3 chocolate go to Jeana and 2 of the calicos go to her on friday!!! :heart

Of the 49 day old fry there are maybe 6.

2 chocolate and 4 calico.

these however have much longer tails than the 60 day old group.

But, I thought I would post some excellent shots I took of these little guys, I have photos of Jeana's 2 Calicos and of 1 of her Chocolates!

Plus 2 of the ones I will be keeping.

Jeania's:

IMG_3442.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~

here are some of my favorites:

IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

Here are some of the 49 day old fry:

1 calico:

IMG_3474.jpg

1 chocolate:

IMG_3463.jpg

1 that i have to watch because it has what looks like a deformed tail, even if the head markings are lovely. :

IMG_3471.jpg

Here is The one without a tail, you can see it has healed completely and he moves around very well. He has to try alot harder in current but is still able to do well and does tire sooner than the others, but does not avoid the situations at all. None of them pick on him either:

IMG_3469.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

Oh Le Ann they look wonderful! :) I alway's look forward to your new piccy's. That lil guy with no tail is sure cute. :heart Do you think he will be fine that like for his entire life then? From the sounds of it he seems to be adapting just fine. He's gonna be a special one for you I bet.

I just love your chocolate fry, I bet he's gonna turn out really cool looking. :exactly

thank you della!!! I miss you on myspace :(

But i think the lil guy with no tail is going to be just fine, he doesnt have any spinal problems just seems that his tail was cutoff when he was teenie. :(

Well he's sure cute! He's gonna be fun I bet too.

Awww Sorry about MySpace hun-I still have my AIM screen name in my profile. :)

Good Luck with all those babies-You sure have a handful there. heheh

Thank you for taking the time to update us on your wonderful fries! :heart Excellent pics as always!

What camera do u use?

I'm using a Cannon Power Shot a610 :)

You should see my wildlife photos, they are insane.

I would like to see ur wildlife photos! Maybe u could post it in the chatter box?

Does ur camera allows u to set the shutter speed manually?

Yea, i can do that i think. and yes it does. :)

That's the feature I need the most :D sadly my digicam doesn't have it :lol:

What shutter speed u shot ur fish pics at?

Edited by d_golem

i actually did not need to change the shutter speed for my fish. there is an option for fast moving objects and then you combine that with the option for close objects less than 24" and it works out very very well. :)

Here we go guys, an update!

I have 4 including my chocolate with no tail and 3 calicos that are now 84 days old and 2 calico, 1 chocolate, and maybe 1 blue who are 73 days old.

Here are two from the 84:

IMG_4064_1.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

and one from the 73:

IMG_4077.jpg

Oh oh they are so cute.. :heart . little fatties... :D

:blink: WOW........ this is the most unbelieveably GOOD documentary on goldfish fry I've ever seen........ anywhere!! THey're soooooooo cool too! I wish I was closer, cuz I'd take one in a heartbeat, I really really would!! :heart

Such cool litte guys, and how wonderfully they have developed thanks to your excellent care, Sorsha! :heart I just had to re-read the whole documentary again, its so wonderful!

What a blessing a good camera can be! THe first time I saw my fry clearly on a picture was at about 3 weeks... :rolleyes:

Guest mellowr

i have a question, my fry about 20 or so are about 3 weeks old but they still look like the ones in the day 6 pics, why are mine so small :(

what are you feeding them on? diet has a lot to do with the growth rate of fry. high protein foods such as freshly hatched brine shrimp or daphnia will result in faster growth rate and deeper bodies.

i have to say, that is some FANTASTIC camara work there! lord knows ive tried taking decent pics of the fry but theyre so small my camera barely picks up on them. takes skill to get some good pics! :D

Guest mellowr

crushed hikari lionhead, liquidfry and egg yolk. I live in Aus, unfortunetely haven't find any of those live stuff around.

agreed on the pics.

thank you for the compliments on the photos!

Mellowr,

Since you do not have access to live foods. The next best thing will be freeze dried foods. If your fry are still as small as my 6 day old fry you should feed them freeze dried daphnia, they are still a little small for bloodworms, but if you break it up that will also help. High protein diets will help your fry to grow deeper bodies and also to be healthier.

You can also take algae wafers to feed them. because as these wafers expand the fry are able to tug on them and get additional nutrients.

Also, you should know that if you have too much salt in with your fry they will also not grow as quickly. I encountered this with my 4th brood.

I will send you a PM if i can and send additional information and check on your set up :-D

Mellowr, email me at Sorsha02@aol.com :)