Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chippie

Info About Moors Plz

:newfish i wanna get a moor to go with a ryukin i have not got yet but would like to get can any1 help?

:newfish

:) What exactly would you like to know? Moor's are great fish.I have 4 of them myself.They are known to not be the best when it comes to vision though,so sometimes you may have to do a little extra with them.Keeping them with other peaceful Goldies is a start. I'm not a big fan of Ryukins,but I don't see any major problem with putting the two together as long as you have the correct tank size and filtration that you need. My one Ryukin Mutt is a little Pushy at times,but my Moors always manage to get their fair share of food. :lol: For these two fish you'll need at least a twenty gal.tank because of the size that they are capable of getting,along with a filter that pumps at least 200 gph-gallons per hour into the tank. Edited by Devs

thanks your a great help! looks like im putting them together now

As Devs said, just make sure the ryukin doesnt hog up all the food before the moor can to any!! They can be pretty blind. :)

Moor are wonderful fish. They are not nearly as delicate as many may think and do a fairly good job of finding/eating food. They are good tank mates for just about any fish except perhaps the more streamlined ones such as a comet or shubie.

Here is some info: http://kokosgoldfish.com/BlackMoor.html

Ryukins have a reputation - I have heard it from multiple sources, and feel that it may be true for many. They are know as the "Gangsters" of the tank - and can be a bit rough at times on other fish. I have never had a gangster Ryukin, though. All mine have been peaceful, good community members. Here is some info on that....

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/articles...134&parentId=15

I love a good moor - or Demekin when they are red or red/white or tri-colored. They are gorgeous. The deep velvet black of a good moor is a thing of great beauty.

:)

:D I've never really thought of mine as delicate. :lol: Two of mine remind me of what a moose might be like at feeding time. :rofl They just bulldoze over everyone. I often hear though from alot of people that they just can't keep Black Moor's alive,and always that that odd.Even my Daughter says that about them... :idont I have always had good luck with them myself. :)

I've found in the past that Moors and other goggle eye fish can be a bit late to the feeding station, but handfeeding your fish should take care of that problem.

As with any fish, you need to keep an eye out and make sure there's no bullying going on. It's not neccessarily size related; the biggest bully in my tank is a little female guppy who would make a nice snack for the Ryukin, yet she terrorises him!

:) I have one moor in with my two orandas :heart and he is usually so excited when its time to eat that he will swim right past the food and I feel like the other two are getting more so I will watch and make certain he gets food and then usually handfeed him a little something extra. :exactly

I know he does not see as well as the other two so I'm a bit over protective with him as far as food goes. :blink:

I always handfed my two moors also. My fantails would gobble up everything in sight if I didn't. I loved watching them swim together...they always looked so graceful.

Edited by Dreamgoddess

thanks all this info is great!

how do you handfeed is it like getting the flake and putting it in normaly?

XD I hand feed my moors/telescopes as well, my big girl always comes to take it from my fingers. I just hold the flake food between my thum and finger under the water and she comes and gobbles it up.

I got a butterfly white moor with a little black on her head and a tiny bit of orange.

They can come in orange and white, black, black and white, calico, just orange :) don't know about red though

a black and white one will be cool a saw a pic of a panda moor there realy cool

Just steal your thread Chip for a wee moment to say- Devs I had to laugh at your description of your black moor cos that is exactly what I think of mine. She is such a blumbering fish, all feetfirst. I could never call a moor delicate because I've got Mrs Clumsy. She is/they are darn cute though!!! :rofl

Oopsa..of course I meant to say fin first not feet first. I think of mine waddling around the tank, maybe she's too fat. :blink:

I am **sadly** one of the people that can't keep a Moor! I have over time gotten at least two maybe 3 and each one died the next day! My water tests fine, I am baffled by it. I REALLY want one. I think they are sooooooo pretty! And I think the black would contrast with the others!! But I fear I am doomed to not have a beautiful Black Moor! (Goes to cry)

Edited by Jeana727

Jeana....it doesn't mean you can't keep moors. It just means you haven't found "the one" just yet. See if you can't pay for a moor and pick it up in 3 or 4 days. Have the pet shop observe it, and make sure it's healthy before you bring him home.

I can't keep ropefishes or plants alive.

Rai

Thanks! Maybe I will try again someday!

WoW, A Rope fish! I haven't even SEEN one in a long time! They are sooo fun to watch! But you M U S T make sure there is not ONE SINGLE place, not even a small hole that they can get out of. They are the Houdini of the fish world!!

Once I had one that got out I looked everywhere for it. He was under the stand & covered with dust & dry! (So he had to have been under there all night) We really only saw him when the flashlight beam made his eyes reflect. I grabbed him & stuck him in the tank. He sank to the bottom. I was sad then TA DA he started swimming around! He was fine! (They are lungfish).

Jeana: Mine always got the white patches then died. The last time I tried to keep a ropefish it developed those spots within 12 hours, and died within 36. Unfortunately, the fish shop didn't warranty their fish, but the person did give me 1/3 off the new goldfish I decided to get.

just wondering so have you got two fish in the tank now then if so how are they doing

i think your sig is toooo big