Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trinket

Earthquake Protection For Fish

Hi to all those of living in earthquake likely areas and particularly in Japan. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice of how to protect our 3 tanks. They are all up on stands about waist high presently. All large tanks. Any ideas welcomed. :blink:

Guest matthieu

hi Trinket. im also interested here. hope some of our mods can help us. :D

hey i LIVE in one of the most worst hit areas in japan what you do is seal the tank onto the surface so it cant move and then if there is one get all your goldies into the bath tub ( safest place to be in earthquakes,hurricanes etc)

where are you from in japan? All i can find from your profile thats close is hitoshura and it cant be that.

My daughter loves japan but she cant find it. Also any pics of where you live for her to see?

The pics question goes to everyone from Japan please :)

well to tell the truth hitosua is mystrey place where only i know where it is :rofl (just in case there are any wierdos) i actually live in TOKYO!!!!

I am interested as well :) we haven't had any big shakes lately but it's better to be ready :) I live in kanagawa by the way...

coyote- thats a looooooong way from me...almost another country down there :D but so nice to see another member living here in Japan. Ive been here 15 years now. Bet you love the summer heat down south and the milder winters????? :D

I would also like to know how to "earthquake proof" my goldie tanks. It's quite rare to get tremors here in Utah, but there was a 2.6 a week ago that was centered less than 3 miles from where I live. A small tremor, but as soon as it ended, I was checking my tanks for any cracks or shifting. It had me worried, but luckily there was no damage. It did freak out my fish though.

coyote- thats a looooooong way from me...almost another country down there :D but so nice to see another member living here in Japan. Ive been here 15 years now. Bet you love the summer heat down south and the milder winters????? :D

Hi Trinket :) where exactly in Japan are you located?North?Hokkaido maybe?I've been here for 15 years as well(originally from the philippines) and I still can't stand the cold no matter how mild our winters are :cold::D

I would quite like to be located in Hokkaido- hear its beautiful...wide streets and lots of countryside and fresh air. But no, we're on the mainland- in Tohoku, Miyagi ken. So we've both been here the same time-ish..how did we survive here this long!! (- half joking :D ) Well, Phillippines is not far- do you get back often for all that wonderful sunshine and the yummiest bananas and mangoes :) ?

So we've both been here the same time-ish..how did we survive here this long!! (- half joking :D )

Tell me about it :D Sometimes I still wonder how I survived here this long :rofl:rofl

I haven't had any chance to visit the philippines for a very looooong time now as my family moved to the states.....ahhhhh I miss those yummy sweet mangoes :D

Tell me about it :D

Yeah, be warned- one day I just might!! :rofl

I am just wondering if it would work to somehow strap or anchor your tank to a table and then anchor the table/stand to the wall (like you would a bookshelf)? I never actually thought about this before, but I live in an area where we don't get a lot of earthquakes, but we are over due for a really big one to hit (almost on top of 2 faults). Besides, it couldn't hurt for when kids are running all around the place. They are like an earthquake themselves some days.

mmm.. Japan is the best place to live..ahhhh the summers and winters... i love the cicades,

trinket an cyote will agree with me

You could always bolt the stand that the tank is on to the wall, and glue the tank to the stand. (it might cause problems if you wish to move your tank though)

yes but it is not reccomended because if its a massive shake and boom gos your wall boom gos your fish!

Guest black n yellow

how about get a custom tank and attach bullet proof glass and carbon fiber top. might not work since it is so expesive but might help from falling debris and to have it not come of just attach it to something .

Hi, I live in New Zealand the earth has been pretty shakey aswell. I made sure the stand my tank sits on is sturdy and not too high and the lid fits securely. You can't predict how big an earth quake is gonna be or when it'll strike but if after shakes are frequent i'd suggest not filling it too high to prevent spillages.